You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfer Thread 2012

llego

I was fairly meh to his appointment but I slowly warmed to it after his opening press conference and then doing a lot of reading up about him. Didn't quite reach an excited level about him being our manager but I was cautiously optimistic. Now I'm having nagging doubts that he's inexperienced, naive and out of his depth. The "exciting player that the fans will love" comment was ill advised, so was his answer to the Carroll question, so was announcing his interest in Sigurdson. Time to shut the gob or at least learn to answer questions without actually answering them.

Out of his depth because of some press conferences that the media have run away with barely a story? Not even before he has even magaged us in a friendly. Christ on a bike.

Well he has had a harsh lesson, hopefully he will learn to be more canny. Of course there is always the possibility that he does want rid of Caroll, however most of the reports are without any quotes or substance, and usually when there is 3 or 4 clubs that are going to sign him, it tends to be bollocks. You start worrying when all the papers are reporting the same thing.

I woudl be worried if all the papers were reporting West Ham, but as it is I think it is bollocks.

Rodgers will make many more mistakes as he get used to being at a big club. It's how long he takes and whether he does indeed learn from them that will make or break it for him.

Rodgera learning on the job is a pitfall of appointing someone with no experience of managing a club at a decent level.

It's a fucking ridiculous decision to get rid of Carroll on anything other than a straight up transfer. When we're struggling for goals next season, and there will be spells that we do so, regardless of how well things go, the press will hammer him for loaning out our only centre forward.

Do you not think he has been told to get rid Of Carroll? after all there's been nothing from the club to reassure Carroll or the fans via the press have there!

I don't think any club would tell a manager to take a loss, it makes no sense. If anything they would want their money out of him, regardless of what we think of his original fee, it is clearly a ludicrous assertion that we could not cover £15m for him!

My reading of the situation is that Rodgers has spoken to Caroll, and that is all there is, I do think he has his doubts about him, but I think this is the media running with a story that has no substance.

I have to admit I'm pretty cynical of the Brendan appointment and the reasons he was appointed. However the way I see things the club have advised him to be very media friendly, one of the several reasons I feel he was appointed.

When your manager is going on Talksport you know there is a pathetic charm offensive on the cards instigated by the club. So it is hard to have a dig at him due to that, just my take on it.

I have to admit I'm pretty cynical of the Brendan appointment and the reasons he was appointed. However the way I see things the club have advised him to be very media friendly, one of the several reasons I feel he was appointed.

When your manager is going on Talksport you know there is a pathetic charm offensive on the cards instigated by the club. So it is hard to have a dig at him due to that, just my take on it.

I have no problem with that, as much as I would like our Manager to treat them like the scum they are, I understand the need to build bridges. But, he needs to be more cute, all he had to say was 'I have only just spoken to Andy and i'm looking forward to working with him, I thought he was excellent in the Euro's' .

If the problem with Caroll is his perceived lack of technical ability then I fail to understand what loaning him out to fucking Fat Sam is going to achieve.

Bellamy could very well leave, which means we would have Caroll, Borini and Suarez as the only recognised strikers at the club, which is fine if you play with one up front but considering Borini may play on the right it seems a bit stupid. I think the Dempsey rumours are just shit, or I hope they are.

I good CM and another right forward would do me.

As a fourth Striker I think we may have the answer right here at Anfield already - Young Adam Morgan could see this year as the year he steps up to the mark. He certainly has the talent to do that - he just needs the opportunity.

How did Rodger's comments about Carroll influence what clubs would be interested in his acquisition and at what price?

Also, how did Carroll's 6 goals in 42 league appearances for Liverpool serve to give him such a good reputation in the eyes of many of our supporters? I'd have no problem keeping him if we were made of money and the manager was going to use him but we aren't and he isn't.

How did Rodger's comments about Carroll influence what clubs would be interested in his acquisition and at what price?

Also, how did Carroll's 6 goals in 42 league appearances for Liverpool serve to give him such a good reputation in the eyes of many of our supporters? I'd have no problem keeping him if we were made of money and the manager was going to use him but we aren't and he isn't.

Exactly. Nothing to see here. If anything, Rodgers prentending that he wants to keep Carroll might deter potential buyers fromeven inquiring to his availability. One comment from Rodgers doesn't make his value drop, Carroll has managed that himself with the above goal ratio and indifferent displays for large parts of his time here.

I was fairly meh to his appointment but I slowly warmed to it after his opening press conference and then doing a lot of reading up about him. Didn't quite reach an excited level about him being our manager but I was cautiously optimistic. Now I'm having nagging doubts that he's inexperienced, naive and out of his depth. The "exciting player that the fans will love" comment was ill advised, so was his answer to the Carroll question, so was announcing his interest in Sigurdson. Time to shut the gob or at least learn to answer questions without actually answering them.

Fucks sake - the lad can't win. Say something and you get it thrown back in your face and told to shut up. Say nothing and he gets accused of not keeping the fanbase informed!

Why are there so many people having hissy fits about us going back to the "Liverpool way" of doing business behind closed doors and only telling people something when there is something to say?

Stop reading shite off websites like "Goal.com" (who use this board as their main source for factual reports - see the draxler / Holtby thread and their subsequent reporting).

That wasn't what I was suggesting, I was pointing to how his words whilst honest and open have been taken out of context and interpeted negatively by the press. He has to learn now that what he says will be scrutinised in such a way that would never have happend at Swansea.

Exactly. Nothing to see here. If anything, Rodgers prentending that he wants to keep Carroll might deter potential buyers fromeven inquiring to his availability. One comment from Rodgers doesn't make his value drop, Carroll has managed that himself with the above goal ratio and indifferent displays for large parts of his time here.

Any club worth their salt would have a suspicion that a player is available, they don't wait for official clearance. I never said Rodgers made his value drop, I said the argument that we are so desperate to get rid, that we would not be able to get £15m for him is clearly a ludicrous suggestion, he would easily bring that much in after the last few months. There is no logic towards what the papers are reporting, and no consistency. In future Rodgers needs to learn to give them nothing, absolutely nothing but anodyne comments.

Well with that, no manager would be sacked would they? nor would you have the AA situation!

Sorry, I haven't explained myself correctly. In this example no club is going to say to their manager you must get rid of him, and we are prepared to lose £25m on this! It is illogical. They may say that you need to sell before you can buy, but again they will not allow any manager to just sell a player for peanuts.

Aquilani doesn't want to be here, which is why it makes no sense keeping him as he will contribute nothing, he is also on far more than Caroll, and his fee was installments.

That wasn't what I was suggesting, I was pointing to how his words whilst honest and open have been taken out of context and interpeted negatively by the press. He has to learn now that what he says will be scrutinised in such a way that would never have happend at Swansea.

I'm not sure how they were taken out of context. Rodgers made every effort to assure supporters Suarez was a player he'd like to keep and then did nothing of the sort for Carroll.

Any club worth their salt would have a suspicion that a player is available, they don't wait for official clearance. I never said Rodgers made his value drop, I said the argument that we are so desperate to get rid, that we would not be able to get £15m for him is clearly a ludicrous suggestion, he would easily bring that much in after the last few months. There is no logic towards what the papers are reporting, and no consistency. In future Rodgers needs to learn to give them nothing, absolutely nothing but anodyne comments.

We wouldn't have got £15m for him anyway! The only teams with that kind of money (plus his 80k wages) are top teams, and Carroll isn't good enough to play at a top team. He's a mid table level player, which means he'll go for a midtable fee.

I think the only ludicrous thing I've seen on here is people saying we'd get £15m for Carroll.

Rodgers is a very intellegent man and a good communicator he must have known how his words would be interpreted by the media.

Maybe it was a warning to Carroll to make sure he comes back from holiday with the right attitude or maybe he wants him out the door. I don't think we would take less than £15m for him probably closer to £20m

Rodgers is a very intellegent man and a good communicator he must have known how his words would be interpreted by the media.

Maybe it was a warning to Carroll to make sure he comes back from holiday with the right attitude or maybe he wants him out the door. I don't think we would take less than £15m for him probably closer to £20m

£20m? Hmmm. The only club who would pay £20m for Andy Carroll is the club he is at.

Similarly, how much do you think we would get for Horrenderson or Downing if they were - correctly - put up for sale? About half what we paid.

Carroll's market value is probably about £15m I reckon. At best.

We wouldn't have got £15m for him anyway! The only teams with that kind of money (plus his 80k wages) are top teams, and Carroll isn't good enough to play at a top team. He's a mid table level player, which means he'll go for a midtable fee.

I think the only ludicrous thing I've seen on here is people saying we'd get £15m for Carroll.

There are quite a few clubs with £15m players at the clubs, he is worth £15m, and if you don't get that then you don't sell him. Matt Jarvis and Steven Fletcher are valued at £10m plus by Wolves now they may not go for that, but if someone matches it they will, Caroll is worth more than they are.

I'm not sure how they were taken out of context. Rodgers made every effort to assure supporters Suarez was a player he'd like to keep and then did nothing of the sort for Carroll.

Rodgers said: "Andy's always going to be linked with clubs, whether he was here or not. I have spoken to him on his holidays and he knows exactly where he stands but I have had no enquiries about him.

"Andy's a player I want to assess and speak with. We've already had a good chat on where we're at."

Where does he say, yes we want rid asap, so any team who fancies him let us know. He said more or less the same thing about Joe Cole e.g. I want to asses him and work with him first.

Now if he hasn't been taken out of context then, we have to question his man management because he should not be commenting upon players who are on holiday, and he should not be speaking about them without meeting the player first.

Attention, all plankton.

What has Rodgers said or done to make you think he is 'naive' or has 'dropped the ball', or made any sort of error regarding Andy Carroll?

Do you think that by telling the world he was 'brilliant, vital to my plans' that somehow we'd increase his value? Or do you think we'd stop having offers on our table? I think it's the latter, they'd stop asking.

So you'd rather we kept Carroll? 6 goals in 42 games, he can ONLY play as a striker, no other position fits him in the slightest, you think that it's a good idea to rely on him as a bona fide number 9? And you want to challenge other teams or just continue this notion that we are a joke of a 'big club' with a striker with a ratio that makes David Ngog look prolific?

Andy Carroll has had 18 months to show us something, and aside from about 3 games, he's shown fuck all of note. Luis Suarez deserves a better number 9 to play alongside, Steven Gerrard deserves it, Dan Agger deserves it, Lucas deserves it, WE deserve it for Christ's sake. We deserve better than Andy Carroll.

Unless he suddenly turns a corner in his life and takes football training and match preparation seriously, then nothing will much change. You still remember the Pepe Reina comment about the lad being the worst trainer at the club? 21 years old he was, just bought for £35m, you'd think he's be up for performing and training hard, nah. We had to convince him to be bothered, to shed that gut, to give a fuck. I don't think we'd need to convince many other 21/22 year old pro's to take it seriously. And you wonder why Rodgers has serious question marks over his ability and attitude?

Nah, draw a line under it. If he scores 100 career goals in the next ten years then I'll live with it. We deserve better, really do, put the violins away.

£20m? Hmmm. The only club who would pay £20m for Andy Carroll is the club he is at.

Similarly, how much do you think we would get for Horrenderson or Downing if they were - correctly - put up for sale? About half what we paid.

Carroll's market value is probably about £15m I reckon. At best.

Brendan, I think everyone knows by now that you don't like Henderson, so can you please stop using the 'Horrenderson' gag.

It's really starting to get on my tits.

You are missing the point Funneee. This isn't about his ability, it is about dealing with the press and answering questions about players. If he doesn't want Caroll then he has to show him the respect of meeting him first, and then speaking to him, and then seeing him. Not providing a free for all for the media while the player is on holiday.

I think it is quite obvious that he may struggle to adapt to Rodgers style of play, however Danny Graham isn't the most agile of forwards and Luke Moore has found himself at one club or another, Leroy Lita is another of limited skill and they were all signed by Rodgers last season. So if he wants rid, then he has to go about it the right way.

All I am arguing is that, he has to be more adept at dealing with the media. Honesty is not always the best policy in this game. He has been honest, and as a result Caroll is signining for 4 clubs either on loan or for a pittance because he isn't good enough, all highlighted in the media. Now if he isn't going to sell him then he now has to build the lads confidence, because nobody likes reading that shit.

Where does he say, yes we want rid asap, so any team who fancies him let us know. He said more or less the same thing about Joe Cole e.g. I want to asses him and work with him first.

Now if he hasn't been taken out of context then, we have to question his man management because he should not be commenting upon players who are on holiday, and he should not be speaking about them without meeting the player first.

I really am losing track of who you are railing against here but these are some quotes I found which show Rodgers is very much for retaining Suarez and very indifferent to retaining Carroll. Why wouldn't the press be running that as a story, and why is it a poor reflection on Rodgers?

On Suarez:

“ I have had a brilliant chat with Luis, he is really looking forward to being here and we are obviously hoping to get him on another contract. He is really looking forward to the new season.”

On Carroll:

"It's something I would have to look at, I have to be honest,".

"Andy's always going to be linked with clubs, whether he was here or not. He knows exactly where he stands, but I have had no inquiries about him."

"There are many things to going on loan. Is it going to be beneficial for the club, that's the most important thing?

"Sometimes a player going out on loan - in general, not just Andy - can benefit the club in the long term.

"It gets them game experience and they come back a better player, a more confident one. Certainly more so than if they've been sitting on the bench for the majority of the season.

"I'm not going to sit here and say I will never let anyone go on loan, then come in here in two weeks and a player's gone, and you're saying 'you said you wouldn't let them go'."

Who cares what the press have to say? I don't.

Whatever you say, and whatever you DONT say, will be twisted by the press, so why care? He's not going to play games with the press, he's going to be open and get it done as quickly as possible. It's the press linking us with 100 players each Summer, not Rodgers.

It's the press suggesting Pepe or Lucas or Suarez is unhappy, not them, and not Rodgers.

You want my advice, use the press. He's done it. He wants Carroll to know that he's on borrowed time unless he can prove something in pre-season, and he wants clubs to know that they can sniff around. It saves us the bother of contacting anyone. Thanks press, you've done a morning's work for us. We've then got the press asking for comments from West Ham, from AC Milan. We dont have to lift a finger until we're ready, but we're fully aware of the interest in him, with direct quotes, thanks to the press.

The only people who care about the scrutiny of the press are the likes of you, and that then means me. Because we're the twats who analyse it on these forums. Rodgers doesn't. Even if the press ran the CARROLL TO BE SOLD story and used a million reporters to cover it, how different would things be? Not much, if anything. Just be more conjecture, opinion, and Carroll's upbringing pieces written to fill the pages. It's all utter bollocks mate.