You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Elder scrolls online is coming out on the consoles isn't it?

Yes, it is being release for PS4 & XBOne. No confirmed release date as yet. Once released, you'll have the ESO subscription to put on top of your PS+ or Gold subscriptions. You get your first month included in the price of the game when purchased.

I believe the subs are currently £9 per month on PC, though there are plenty of rumblings that ESO will go free to play in the near(ish) future, but I wouldn't hold me breath.

Elder scrolls online is coming out on the consoles isn't it?

I refuse to pay monthly subscription on a game as well as paying for PSN!

Like Bobby, I can't remember the last time I turned my PS4 on to play a game. I don't even own a game for the PS4, I only use it for blurays.

The game managed to almost infuriate me as soon as I got out of Helgen, good old Bethesda. The whole system section was greyed out and only the help part in it would work, so I couldn't save my game and had to go all the way back to creating the character.

Have just got back out though and it looks like a huge game. Am already where the biggest area of forest seems to be as well, so my Wood Elf is happy. Hopefully the levelling system is decent and the whole way magic works, but it'll probably be a while before I understand how both of those are going.

The biggest issue might be slowdown and bugs, but after a bad start (turned off all autosaving and that might have helped.) maybe things will be mostly ok from now on like with Oblivion.

Going back to this now. Played Lightning Returns for an hour or so as I just got that today too (strange game to say the least!), but am expecting to be addicted to this over the next 24-72 hours, and might not be playing much else for a while. Am going to treat the big wooded area in the north-west as the Wood Elf's homeland (because I'm a dork, and there's not many games that are better to do your own thing in than one like this, obviously.), and am hoping to learn as much as I can and stick in that area for quite a while, level up, etc, then go off to the other areas.

Am not really interested in fighting Dragons or the main story, and am fucked if I'm getting drawn into it either if possible for a good while yet. (A guy at the start recommended I visit his sister I think, which might give some info to help get started, but should then be back into the woods.) Can remember that Oblivion had tons to do as sidequests so this will clearly have even more going on. Am going to try using stealth and magic to avoid fighting too if and when possible, just want to learn about the place and get whatever items/spells I can find, and level up for the most part.

Not sure if I'll be getting a horse as I prefer it on foot at the moment, especially for levelling sneak, but think I can remember that horse from Oblivion. I put loads of hours into it but just stopped playing at a certain point, and it was years ago. Think I got bored with the main storyline, but I'd been playing for a good few months and this game should have easily enough to do the same and plenty more, without even doing much of the main story like you said.

Will need to limit my hours though as I'll probably get badly addicted if not, and have already been playing games loads recently. Have started levelling up alteration and sneak, and will be doing the same for other magic skills when I get the right books. What I've searched so far looks good too, clearly a big improvement on the previous game.

The whole idea of sneaking around as a Wood Elf in the forest has kind of gone out of the window now. Firstly because there's not actually much forest in the game, and when you try to stay in one area of the map (outside mostly) you realize that the game isn't that big to the point that you can even do that for very long. Saying that though, have still only gone around a small area of the outside and haven't even entered the eastern half yet, so maybe sneak can be levelled quite a bit yet just by exploring a decent bit more of the outside of the map.

I went into a dungeon though and then remembered why these games are so good. It's when you factor in the sizes of all the dungeons as well that the game really becomes huge, so am just going off on a rampage soon. Of course there's tons to loot as well and my char needs money for spells, so levelling should start going well too.

Just realized after checking a wiki that it's Valenwood that would've been best for what I actually wanted to do at first : http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Valenwood

Maybe it'll be in one of the future games.

I have a Wood Elf level 66 character and having sneak, archery and light armour of 100 is fucking boss. I can just snipe slags from miles away with my crossbow (DLC) and I have either Nightingale Armour that makes my movements muffled for better sneak or this DLC armour made from Stalhrim that is the best armour on the game.

Early on into this character I was at that bridge east of Whiterun that's overrun by bandits. I was at one end of the bridge and zoomed in and picked off a bandit on that killcam who was the other side of the bridge. I cried.

• Upvote 1

Haha, that sounds awesome. Haven't even used a bow yet as I'm just casting at the moment and will be for the most part, (protective wards, destruction spells and summonings should be how I go through most of the game.) but will probably try using a bow soon. Sneak is almost at 50 now so it's easier to travel around too.

Have still only been in one dungeon so far (early quest for the Dragonstone.) Just went to Riften (south east.) to see what that area is like, and joined the Mages guild last night at Winterhold, only to get killed about an hour later right in the south and find that I hadn't saved, (don't want autosave doing my head in.) so need to go back there next.

I said the outside wasn't somewhere you could stay for that long if just sticking to one area, but you can still spend hours travelling around like I just have done, and have by far most of the map to search. Most travels have just been going from a to b without looking around usually.

Great game, will probably stop looking around outside for the time being later and start on another dungeon. Or go for the Orcs at Knifepoint Ridge, (edit : just got there and realized they were bandits of mixed types, thought they were Orcs at first.) seeing as they were one of the first groups to start attacking me when I started, at least I won't be running from them this time.

Will try and stop updating now because if I carry on like this I'll add several extra pages to the thread. Especially if I'm going to put as many hours in as I could do.

Have finally got my character going though I think :

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Cleared Knifepoint Ridge which was easy really, then had the luck of choosing Sunderstone Gorge to the north of it and found a load of Necromancers! If anyone remembers the place it's where several of them had set up a small base, so I found robes, gems, potions, scrolls, staves, fucking perfect for my Elf. Had a decent fight with a few of them too, which would've been impossible without the Flame Atronach that's helped me through plenty of recent fights.

So am definitely going through the dungeons now. Will sneak from place to place outside every now and then to level that too. It's good to finally have some money though and loot to sell, have had hardly anything up until now. Am also past level 10 so my character might start causing a decent bit of damage soon. The only thing that bothers me is the addiction! Will probably play other games as well so I'm not just sat on this for the next month or two.

Ah have got the Legendary Edition, so I have that option anyway I think. Will probably try it once I get my char sorted more. Funnily enough I was thinking about it because I was thinking how cool it'd be to build a treehouse for my Elf. I guess that isn't an option, but maybe if they make a game in Valenwood it will be!

In Oblivion I never really got into alchemy or enchanting enough either, am going to spend time on them this time around hopefully. I like the idea of going around just searching for ingredients in an open world of this size, which will help have a rest from the killing and also level sneak well too. In one of these posts I'll manage not to mention sneak with some luck.

Alchemy is ace for levelling quickly. I have a chest full of loads of ingredients, and gear enchanted with Fortify Alchemy.

Once you get to skill 100 you can make it legendary and take it back down to 15, then raise it back up again by making more potions. Remember to re-choose your alchemy perks to help you make better potions, you lose them all when you make the skill legendary.

I think I have made it legendary 8 times now.

NB I think you can only do this with the add ons.

Also, the best alchemy ingredient in the game is salmon roe, again this is only added with the Hearthfire add on. You get it by catching salmon as they're jumping up the rapids, or you can just find some rapids and use Animal Allegiance shout on the water. All the salmon commit suicide and you can collect the floating roe from the water.

The potions you can make with this ingredient are insane powerful and valuable.

• Upvote 1

Cheers for the tips!

Was just going to post saying I've got into alchemy a lot now. It's actually one of my favourite parts of the game, going around and collecting all the ingredients, testing what effects they have, making loads of potions, selling the ones I don't need, having plenty of them to help in battles, and of course levelling up a lot faster.

The game is simply fucking brilliant so far anyway, approaching 24 hours now and did a little more of the story so I could understand what the shouts were. Now that some of those are working it helps to understand a lot more about what's going on, and combat is instantly a lot better. (just remembered there's a shout I've not even tested out on anyone yet and no clue how I forgot to.)

Had two vampires attacking me earlier though, so tried running off but they eventually caught me. In the end it was a mixture of attacking them with spells, using the movement shout to dodge, and having my Atronach battling them too. When both vampires were dead I kind of stopped, took a breath and was just kind of awestruck at how good this game was becoming. This will be fuck all compared to some of the mad fights that will arrive later by the looks of it, but it was a great intro to how good combat can actually be in this.

There's just so much to the game, and it's clearly moved on a lot since Oblivion. Have started enchanting as well which helps level quickly, have got someone at the college helping me level restoration, and am just off to check another part of the main story to see if I can get something else before going off to do random stuff again.

Amazing though, the graphics, the music helps the already great atmosphere hugely, insane amount of things to do, great variation, freedom to play your own game, and so far the bugs haven't got me that much. Game froze for the first time earlier, but when you have something of this size, it must be a near impossible task to remove all bugs, and it should barely even register having to restart the console every so often when you're still able to play something of this quality.

The main thing there has just been to remember to save regularly, and if that's done it might not be so bad if it happens here and there. Am still wary after the Fallout problems I've had, but with Oblivion I could always still play, so maybe they take more care with these games and this will eventually be more or less fine.

Yeah got what I wanted when going back to the main story :

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

The third word for unrelenting force, so my char has a complete shout for the first time. Went to the wrong area by accident earlier and didn't notice until I'd cleared it, but got a ring of recharging (+40% magic regen time, perfect for casting with.) so that ended up being the best thing that could've happened anyway. (it was from Folgunthur, near Solitude.)

Back to doing my own thing now.