You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest LFD

Ha ha, no. I'm not from Nantwich, nor am I called Nige or whatever he/she/it was called and I am not weirdly schizophrenic when sat with a laptop. I'm pretty sure I pre-date 'her' on this site by several years anyway. I'm merely an ex match going Red, who just so happens to be a woman. Nothing more; nothing less. Sorry to disappoint!!

The thread resonated with me and I felt compelled to abandon lurkage. I've spent some time lately thinking about the fantastic times I had when going to the match.

Plus some of youse on here talk utter drivel and I felt I would fit in just fine.

Ha ha, no. I'm not from Nantwich, nor am I called Nige or whatever he/she/it was called and I am not weirdly schizophrenic when sat with a laptop. I'm pretty sure I pre-date 'her' on this site by several years anyway. I'm merely an ex match going Red, who just so happens to be a woman. Nothing more; nothing less. Sorry to disappoint!!

The thread resonated with me and I felt compelled to abandon lurkage. I've spent some time lately thinking about the fantastic times I had when going to the match.

Plus some of youse on here talk utter drivel and I felt I would fit in just fine.

What do you mean 'some' ?

Which brings me to today. Kenny returning awakened something in me which has makes me need to go the match again. That, and the fact that I now live in what can only be described as 'bandit country' in terms of football allegiance where there are plenty of us, but far too many Mancs with a smattering of Blueshite to make it comfortable for me to rest. I feel the need to take my children to a match, because I want them to embrace Liverpool totally. Ask them who their team is and they'll say 'Liverpool' but it's not quite enough for me. I want them to experience being swept away in the euphoria and despair which I have to say is most keenly felt by me by being at a match.

Get yourself to a game, girl. Having said that, think about it carefully, it may change your life.

There are echoes of my experience in your description.

I first started supporting the club in the campaign that led to our first European Cup win. My family had just moved to Scotland. At times I felt pretty isolated and as a young teenager this was something I could call my own.

No-one in my family was particularly into football and I dont think it ever occurred ot me that I might go to a game but I followed the club avidly in the only ways available to me at the time, through the TV, papers and magazines.

After leaving home to go to university other things did take over and my support for the club took a back seat for a long time until my son began to show his own interest in football and for Liverpool in particular. Perhaps its genetic. His interest rekindled all the passion that there had been for me when I had first started supporting 'my team' and this time round I was a grown up. My husband had started going to the odd game (different team) and I thought 'I want to go and see my own team' and so it all began.

Family commitments, finance and logistics mean that I can only manage 2-3 games a season but it is a completely different experience to that of sitting at home watching the game. This sounds a bit 'girly' but I love it all... the thrill of even getting tickets, the anticipation of going to a game, the rituals that have built up, beginning from when we leave home, to arriving in the city, the build up to the game and obviously, the game itself.

You absolutely see so much more being at the game, the movement of the players, being able to focus on certain aspects of the game, or players, rather than having to take what is chosen for you by TV editors. The only bit I miss in going to the game is not being able to see things 'on replay' but there's always MOTD for that. And that's without going into the 'shared' experience of the atmosphere (although there's always one within earshot that makes you wonder what they're doing there)

And it is like a drug. The more I get the more I want and so the number of games I go to has crept up and the amount of time that is now taken up thinking about and watching games is bordering on the obsessive, I guess, but I love it and I know for me I wouldnt feel about it in the same way if I hadnt started going to games.

I feel like I have only given a flavour of 'my journey' and once I have posted this I will probably think of other things I wanted to include but I think it gives some sense of 'where I'm coming from.'

And if you dont have access to ticketss by other means, get yourself signed up for membership in time for the next release of tickets at the end of the year, Stella. And be prepared to fall in love again.