You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

First World Cup

Sugar Ape

First WC I watched was 86. I didn't see every game, but there were some classic games. Brazil-France, Russia-Hungary, Germany-France, Argentina-England, Argentina-Germany to name a few.

After a fine Euro 88 tournament, 1990 was my first major World Cup. The football may not have been riproaringly entertaining, but the spectacle was great, and Ireland did very well.

Last year's WC was a non-event for me, completely ruined by what happened in Paris. I watched just bits and pieces of games, and not a single full one. Aside from that, RSA was the wrong place and environment to stage it, imo. But the draw for 2014 is this weekend, and the race to qualify starts again.

Guest The Chimp

Yep, I remember kicking a tennis ball around primary school trying to emulate Eder as well. What you've put there is probably why it resonates so much and why I still love them today. It was football at it's most adventurous, all out attack. Look at the goals from just the one tournament - absolutely unbelivable. I've never seen a team come even close to the attacking flair and talent on display there.

1970 Mexico, my favourite though is 1974 Germany.

Most memorable moment is the goal by Sanon against Italy. The Italians were full of experienced players, they hadn't lost or conceded a goal for ages (a dozen games or so). Haiti went one up but then lost 1-4 but the celebrations on their bench were incredible, it was the only conversation in school the following day.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/i5OLw0GiaeE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Glad to see I'm not the oldest on this thread!

Mexico 70 I was 5 so can only remember Muller scoring in Germany's 3-2 v England. By 74 I was captivated. I've still got my Panini sticker book with all the squads. East Germany beating West Germany 1-0 in a group game sticks out in the memory and of course the brilliant Dutch side who neutrals wanted to win in the final

chile 1962... not on the tv like now, but brazil were the dogs "b-------s"

but 66 was something special... sir roger, cally, gerry byrne... sod hurst, moore and peters.... but that side had 11 world class players, how many do england have now??

went to see brazil over the road, pele got kicked off the park by everyone who came near him... 1966.... what a year for "liverpool" and england... happy days.....

Liverpool League Champions and Everton F.A.Cup Winners too - I was too young to be there but my LFC dad and my EFC cousins were at the Goodison derby where both teams paraded the two domestic trophies and the Jules Rimet trophy before the kick off

• Upvote 1

Liverpool League Champions and Everton F.A.Cup Winners too - I was too young to be there but my LFC dad and my EFC cousins were at the Goodison derby where both teams paraded the two domestic trophies and the Jules Rimet trophy before the kick off

remember it well, but wasnt a league derby, it was the charity shield , gerry byrne scored for us... 1-0.

• Upvote 1

I read some news pieces about '74 but I was only 6. Back then only the openning game and the final game would be live on TV here. I was too young to stay that late, though.

In 78 I probably watched the final, as I remember Argentina's left winger Leopoldo Luque and somehow loved him. Didn't remember the other things much.

In 82, yet again only the openning game and the final were live here. I watched the openning game but not the final. The other games were delayed, like 1 day delayed. I watched most of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

90 for me too, though obviously remember 94 a bit clearer. I do remember the buzz around 90, class. I have a full sticker/binder thing from 1990 WC in my house - pretty cool it is too. Also, remember collecting these wee silver coin things that had the names of the countries in their native language - "Sverige" for example. That was a bit of a head pickler when you're 9.

90 for me too, though obviously remember 94 a bit clearer. I do remember the buzz around 90, class. I have a full sticker/binder thing from 1990 WC in my house - pretty cool it is too. Also, remember collecting these wee silver coin things that had the names of the countries in their native language - "Sverige" for example. That was a bit of a head pickler when you're 9.

I have the binder and coins as well.

Loved them!

• Upvote 1

1990 for me, Baggio, Schillaci, Cameroon getting to the quarters, England being gash in the group and then scraping past Belgium with that last minute Platt goal.

The Holland - Germany game too, had everything. 2 teams that utterly hated each other, diving, fouls and Rijkaard grebbing twice into Vollers mullet.

I loved the whole tournament, pity the final was crap

I have the binder and coins as well.

Loved them!

The Orbis binder? It had some quality idiosyncracies. Cameroon were called "The Cameroons", it had Denmark in it even though they didn't even qualify and the South Korean "Gu Sang Bum" was pretty funny when you're 9. Also, the big pictures of world cup greats, Kenny being one, and the greatest goals with a sticker for each one, quality.

Orbis World Cup 90 was great, as were the Coca-Cola mini footballs.

Mexico '86 is the first World Cup I remember. Panini stickers, Maradona, Jan Molby and that classic Danish Hummel shirt, Gary Lineker, Pique toys in Kinder Eggs, and some fella who played for Watford, coming on for England against Argentina and playing brilliantly.

• Upvote 1