You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best Stephen King Book

Sugar Ape

Best Stephen King Book  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Best Stephen King Book

• Carrie
    • Salem's Lot
    • The Shining
    • The Stand
    • The Dead Zone
    • Firestarter
    • Cujo
    • The Running Man
    • The Dark Tower Series
    • Christine
    • Pet Sematary
    • The Talisman
    • Thinner
    • It
    • Misery
    • The Tommyknockers
    • The Dark Half
    • Needful Things
    • Gerald's Game
    • Dolores Claiborne
    • Dreamcatcher
    • The Green Mile
    • Duma Key
    • Under The Dome
    • Other - Please State

7 minutes ago, Edward. said:

I just didn’t think it was anything like the book. Maybe I need to read the book again. It wasn’t bad just not how I remember the book. 

It has been about ten years since I read the book and to be honest, I can’t remember too much about it.

I think the TV series is very good in its own right, though. It looks gorgeous, it’s well directed and acted, and held my attention.

35 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

It has been about ten years since I read the book and to be honest, I can’t remember too much about it.

I think the TV series is very good in its own right, though. It looks gorgeous, it’s well directed and acted, and held my attention.

I think I got through maybe 4 episodes. It was one of those rare occasions when I sat down with my wife to watch a series, she’s not much into binging so we watched it every Friday night. If I watched it by myself, didn’t have to explain everything and what each person had said I might have got through it.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’ve just finished rewatching it. It’s excellent, in my opinion. What didn’t you like about it?

Agreed. Thought it was superb. Casting was excellent too. 

Just started listening to Mr Mercedes. Dull as fuck so far. Might bin it. 

48 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

MM is the first in a series?

Yep Finders Keepers and End of Watch. There is also The Outsider and If it Bleeds which are Holly Gibney books. There is a new one coming out soon too. Unsurprisingly called Holly in September.

I stopped watching the 11.22.63 series as well when it came out, it was just so different to the book, which I absolutely loved.

I recently went back and re-watched the series and enjoyed it a lot more.

On the Holly Gibney/Mister Mercedes series, Finders Keepers is superb, Mr Mercedes is quite good but slow to start and End of Watch is okay. The Outsider is great and the Holly Gibney novella in If It Bleeds is very good too,

• 9 months later...

I've never read much, if any real, King. Just finished Pet Sematary on Audible, narrated by fucking Dexter...

That's a book that'll leave a mark. I don't know if I'd ever have finished it if I bought the novel. The more classic horror tropes coming in over the last few chapters weirdly provide a relief, or a distraction to the mess he's been holding your nose to for the last 12 hours. Fucking hell. 

Got me thinking about there being a kind of shadow plot in action throughout, the agency in the story doesn't seem to really rest with the characters, but with other influences. I'm assuming that's an approach he goes for a lot more, based on my knowledge of the films and the other books in his canon. Think I want more of that.

I think the thing that makes it so interesting is the fact that it's not really explained in any detail, the only information given is inherently flawed (described as a rationalisation earlier in the novel, which the characters all do throughout), and both conflicting influences ("good" and "bad") are clearly limited in their influence, which just makes them feel more dangerous.

Was already thinking of Salem's Lot, so based on this thread I might kick on into that.

Never touching this book again. 10/10.

On 08/03/2023 at 16:44, NoelM said:

I stopped watching the 11.22.63 series as well when it came out, it was just so different to the book, which I absolutely loved.

I recently went back and re-watched the series and enjoyed it a lot more.

I recently read the book again. I love the tv series, but I love the book more.

• Upvote 1

IT would be my favourite, and I love the ambition of The Stand. 

Two that I really loved that don't often get mentioned - Firestarter and the Hearts In Atlantis novella. 

Of the more recent ones, The Institute and The Outsider were really good. Also, Billy Summers is just a straight-ahead thriller and is all the better for it. Brilliant tension throughout. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Pidge said:

I've never read much, if any real, King. Just finished Pet Sematary on Audible, narrated by fucking Dexter...

That's a book that'll leave a mark. I don't know if I'd ever have finished it if I bought the novel. The more classic horror tropes coming in over the last few chapters weirdly provide a relief, or a distraction to the mess he's been holding your nose to for the last 12 hours. Fucking hell. 

Got me thinking about there being a kind of shadow plot in action throughout, the agency in the story doesn't seem to really rest with the characters, but with other influences. I'm assuming that's an approach he goes for a lot more, based on my knowledge of the films and the other books in his canon. Think I want more of that.

I think the thing that makes it so interesting is the fact that it's not really explained in any detail, the only information given is inherently flawed (described as a rationalisation earlier in the novel, which the characters all do throughout), and both conflicting influences ("good" and "bad") are clearly limited in their influence, which just makes them feel more dangerous.

Was already thinking of Salem's Lot, so based on this thread I might kick on into that.

Never touching this book again. 10/10.

Another thought on this one, the structure of the book and the reading experience is like being compelled to follow a path leading somewhere you think you don't want to go.

How's that for thematic unity?

• Upvote 1

Pet Sematary is one of the few books that's genuinely scared me, although I was 16 at the time I read it. Best holiday I've had recently was when I re-read It and read 11.22.63 for the first time while baking in the sun. I also read most of his short story and novella collections earlier in the year. Perfect holiday fodder.

The Green Mile was an interesting concept as it was released as six paperback novels the first was published in 1996 I think and each volume was released on a monthly basis after that. I remember waiting each month for the next one to be released.