You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

I really can't wait to see how they deal with a lot of the stuff coming up. Interested to see how quickly they bash through everything. The introduction of the people of Dorne is something I'm looking forward to a lot. Hoping they give The Red Viper the same sort of feel you got from the books.

• Upvote 1

The great thing is that 1. Even though it was only last year I've lost track of the order of some things happening and 2. They may well edit things down to a route they prefer anyway.

I couldn't wait for the next season so had to read the books. Now I kind of envy those who haven't and will get more of those Red Wedding feelings as they surprise them.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

My mate has already 'accidentally' thrown a few spoilers into conversations, one very big one. I think it was in revenge for when I drunkenly announced Saul Tigh was a Cylon.

You'd be frakking dead as frakking fried frakking chicken if you'd let that one slip around me.

I read the books years before they announced they were making a TV series of them and quite frankly look down with disdain at all you johnny come latelies.

Tell you what though NV, the audio books - which are freely available to download from the usual outlets - are ace. Deffo worth a listen if you can't be arsed reading them.

The comics have made a promising start as well.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I read the books years before they announced they were making a TV series of them and quite frankly look down with disdain at all you johnny come latelies.

Tell you what though NV, the audio books - which are freely available to download from the usual outlets - are ace. Deffo worth a listen if you can't be arsed reading them.

The comics have made a promising start as well.

I'm so 'behind' with reading fiction, it's unbelievable. To see that the first book was released in 1996 was a genuine surprise to me. I'd not even heard of it, let alone read it. At that time I was stupid enough to still be turning my nose up at fiction and decided to read the untranslated Qu'est-ce que la propriété instead. Prick. Though I'm now doing my best to make a dent on the stuff I've missed and would actually enjoy reading.

I've actually got the entire series on the Kindle waiting to be read. I just think that I'll wait 'til this season is over, then really hit them hard.

After this series is a good time to read the books, once they get through Storm of Swords they will be covering the next two at the same time.

Yeah, I figure this will be the case. Which book are they up to now, or is it a case that some of the stories are further along than others?

• 1 month later...

I haven't read the books and probably won't, but I would be very disappointed if there isn't some kind of power struggle between Joffrey and Tywen in this season - it seemed to be hinted at very heavily towards the end of the last season. I suppose Jamie's return complicates maters, but what's to stop Joffrey doing away with grandad, commandeering his army and wealth and ruling in his own right? Not saying it would be the brightest move, but from the point of view of the power-crazed psychopath ...  

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Some great deleted scenes in the season 3 box set, especially the one with Tywen Lannister fishing, he has to be one of the most interesting and complex villains ever, Charles Dance is superb.

Ach, how good his he! Absolutely BRILLIANT character and BRILLIANT actor.

EDIT:

• Upvote 1