You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New HBO Series: Game of Thrones

Mr Nando

The thing is... They have Littlefinger acting so... brazen. He's not like that in the book. People in power know that Littlefinger is sort of like Varys, but there is something more to Littlefinger in the books that the show just hasn't picked up yet.

They've almost wrote Littlefinger as being a bit transparent... where he's much more cunning than Varys.

Very disappointed with the finale' date=' back to more setup and not much action. They are really playing the long game with this show, I suppose they have to seeing as the book aren't finished.

I would have likes to see just one character I hate get killed off though.

It's constant doom and gloom with all the people you root for getting murdered by pricks you hate. I'm sure it will all come around in the end but that will probably be 5 years away.

Still love the show I was just hoping for a glimmer of a good guy getting some revenge to cheer me up a little.[/quote']

You've got to play the long game as a viewer/reader - one of my favourite characters has basically spent the entire series of books getting shat on, and I'm desperate for them to turn it round.

They're still alive at the moment though, which gives me hope.

However, if Martin kills them off I'm going to be really pissed off!

Edited by Hand Shandy

[NSFW]Watched 8' date=' 9 and 10 in one go (took some restraint) and thought 9 would've been a better ending to the series dramatically speaking. I understand the endingwith Dany though as the books have the North becoming less and less important and the iron born and East becoming the focal points[/NSFW']

Everything changes Paulie - we haven't even met half the characters that feature in the last book he finished...

The thing is... They have Littlefinger acting so... brazen. He's not like that in the book. People in power know that Littlefinger is sort of like Varys' date=' but there is something more to Littlefinger in the books that the show just hasn't picked up yet.

They've almost wrote Littlefinger as being a bit transparent... where he's much more cunning than Varys.[/quote']

I agree, but I think that's going to be a big reveal in the next series. I'm thinking of the escape from Kings Landing and the interaction he has with the character he helps...

There's lots of opportunity there to develop and reveal the way he has been operating

• Upvote 1

I'm 2/3 through dance with dragons now so I'm looking forward to the big swing in the series...in about 5 years when it gets to it

Ah so you know then...

It's one of the things I've been most impressed by when reading the books - the way Martin constantly shifts emphasis and introduces new regions and characters, yet still manages to make me care about them, rather than being pissed off that the old characters keep dying!

Although as I say, if he does kill off one in particular, I will be really annoyed!

Finally got up to date and watched ep10 last night. Much less dramatic than ep9 indeed but I guess they had some loose ends to tie up. Arya's mischief around the campfire was about as dramatic as it got.

Going to start reading the books too. Got a feeling I'll be hooked straight away but annoyed if the TV series has veered too far from the timelines of the books. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? I'm fucked if I'm reading back through the whole thread.

Finally got up to date and watched ep10 last night. Much less dramatic than ep9 indeed but I guess they had some loose ends to tie up. Arya's mischief around the campfire was about as dramatic as it got.

Going to start reading the books too. Got a feeling I'll be hooked straight away but annoyed if the TV series has veered too far from the timelines of the books. Can anyone confirm if this is the case? I'm fucked if I'm reading back through the whole thread.

It's fairly good... but if you look at my 'differences' post, then I cover most of the major ones.

I know who you are talking about... and I can't see it happening. That character is necessary for where I see the story going... but I guess that doesn't mean anything!

I really hope not - for some reason I've become more invested in them than any other character, despite the incredibly sloooow story arc.

I suppose I'm holding out hope for some 'avenging angel' revenge-type thing...

Have to agree with the comments in regard to Littlefinger. Out of all the characters his portrayal in the TV series has been the most disappointing. Whether actor or writing or maybe a little of both they just have not got it right for me. The speech this series where he explains chaos theory was brilliantly delivered but that's been more the exception than the rule with Aidan Gillan's performance over the three series.

I'm with Unrighteous and Bobby Hundreds on Jon Snow's true heritage. There is a reason there are 3 dragons........

I think the actor who plays Littlefinger has been asked to more or less duplicate his role from The Wire, if so not his fault. Maybe he needs to read the books.

If you are right about Jon Snow why would Ned agree to be party to it all and risk such a young marriage at the time?

If you are right about Jon Snow why would Ned agree to be party to it all and risk such a young marriage at the time?

In addition to aws' point, I'm not sure if you've noticed but divorce don't seem to be de rigueur in Westeros.

The women generally have to put up with whatever shit their husband's throw at them.

Women nowadays should take heed!

I think the actor who plays Littlefinger has been asked to more or less duplicate his role from The Wire, if so not his fault. Maybe he needs to read the books.

They had targaryan babies murdered heads smashed against a wall. Ned probably didnt want Robert to murder what he had left of his sister so he kept the birth quiet and made everyone believe Jon snow was his own bastard.

The thing is... They have Littlefinger acting so... brazen. He's not like that in the book. People in power know that Littlefinger is sort of like Varys, but there is something more to Littlefinger in the books that the show just hasn't picked up yet.

They've almost wrote Littlefinger as being a bit transparent... where he's much more cunning than Varys.

That's true but I'm not sure they had much choice for the tv series, as Littlefinger is so subtle in the books that he might not have translated so well to the screen. The rivalry with Varys is more open than it is in the books, and their verbal jousting serves to show the viewer that they are both highly cunning.

Everybody in the books (apart from Catelyn) knows Littlefinger is shifty but they almost have an unconscious blind-spot, where he is concerned, because he is the financial wizard who (just) keeps the kingdom from bankruptcy. I haven't noticed him being that brazen on tv, apart from with Varys, who can see right through him anyway, so there's no need for Littlefinger to keep up the pretence; and with Ros and Sanya (and they are both minor players and not a threat to him).

In the series, however, when there are councils, court gatherings etc, Littlefinger always appears quiet and boringly servile so it seems they've made an effort to give him some of that disguise he has in the books.

Aws and Bobby Hundreds answered the "Why would Ned..." question for me... so I'll leave it alone.

I really was hoping that Littlefinger would be just like the books because he'd be like three season of dull old Littlefinger. Dutiful friend to Catelyn, and taking honest care of Sansa... then all of a sudden BLAM! all of his plans unfold and the viewer is utterly blown away.

I just don't like how transparent it is that Littlefinger is cooking something up... it's like it's being spoonfed, and it's not allowing us to figure out that Varys has the kingdom at heart, whereas Littlefinger has Littlefinger at heart.

Knowing the books so well is making me think that the producers/adapters are handling this VERY poorly.

For the sake of his sister's honour and his friendship with Robert?

Not having that.

Remember in season 1 when Robert travelled to Kings Landing and teased him about the woman whose name he wouldn't mention (Jon snows mum) he wouldn't tease him in that way if he was covering for him.

They had targaryan babies murdered heads smashed against a wall. Ned probably didnt want Robert to murder what he had left of his sister so he kept the birth quiet and made everyone believe Jon snow was his own bastard.

ahhhhh, I get you now.

Now thats believeable.

Also gives weight to why such an honorable man like Ned would acknowledge his bastard so brazenly and even move him in.

Also if you have seen the promotional photo's for season 3 there were ones of Jon Snow and the Targaryan woman together. That made no sense to me as in the show they haven't even met and (until this suggestion) not connected in anyway.

He would have even stronger claim than Daenerys for the Iron Throne.

The only thing that we don't know is the how long it was from the rape of Neds sister to her death.

Aws and Bobby Hundreds answered the "Why would Ned..." question for me... so I'll leave it alone.

I really was hoping that Littlefinger would be just like the books because he'd be like three season of dull old Littlefinger. Dutiful friend to Catelyn, and taking honest care of Sansa... then all of a sudden BLAM! all of his plans unfold and the viewer is utterly blown away.

I just don't like how transparent it is that Littlefinger is cooking something up... it's like it's being spoonfed, and it's not allowing us to figure out that Varys has the kingdom at heart, whereas Littlefinger has Littlefinger at heart.

Knowing the books so well is making me think that the producers/adapters are handling this VERY poorly.

Cunning has to be spelled out to the Yank audiences.

The majority still think JFK was killed by a lone gunman!

Not having that.

Remember in season 1 when Robert travelled to Kings Landing and teased him about the woman whose name he wouldn't mention (Jon snows mum) he wouldn't tease him in that way if he was covering for him.

You're missing out a bit of the theory i.e. that Ned's sister ran off voluntarily with Rhaegar, there was no rape and Robert's justification for murdering Rhaegar's family was therefore (unknown to Robert) bogus.

You're missing out a bit of the theory i.e. that Ned's sister ran off voluntarily with Rhaegar, there was no rape and Robert's justification for murdering Rhaegar's family was therefore (unknown to Robert) bogus.

It would work if there was even the slightest hint prior to Neds death that something was amiss. Would seem a little lastminute.com to start addding that to the story now, anybody who even gave half a shit is dead with the possible exception of Benjen (book readers please do not give it away!)

I hate it when a storyline is created where no hint towards it was given priviously. It seems rushed and tacked on.

So are you saying Neds sister died in child birth?

It would work if there was even the slightest hint prior to Neds death that something was amiss. Would seem a little lastminute.com to start addding that to the story now, anybody who even gave half a shit is dead with the possible exception of Benjen (book readers please do not give it away!)

I hate it when a storyline is created where no hint towards it was given priviously. It seems rushed and tacked on.

*Dishes out some red-splattering justice of his own*

Without giving anything away if you read the books there is a lot of hints supporting this theory. Plus Robert had all the Targaryan kids killed so there would be no future claims to his thrown. Eddard does find Lyanna Stark dying but its never stated by what cause. Hope this helps!