You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2011

Kopite Pete

"Luka Modric ... will continue to resemble a small boy dressed up as a witch"

is funny.

Whilst I agree that Downing is a decent player, Nineteen million pounds?

That just makes me weep.

It is about £5 million too much, IF we pay that. The Echo reported that the Adam deal ended up costing us only £6.5 million (or something like that) up front. Likewise Henderson was apparently £13 million up front. People who don't like the players will always prattle on about Henderson costing £20 million and stuff like that, but what can you do. I'd like to think that we won't pay £19 million for Downing and will instead throw N'Gog into the deal or something like that. I guess we will see.

Congratulations Raw Red / King Luis/ Stevie G

5 days back on the forum and straight on the Ignore list.

Some of your opinion posts are actually quite good, but they're massively outweighed by the boring, repetitive and needlessly offensiveness crap you can't resist.

This might be a transfer rspeculation thread, but posting unattributed bull from another forum? Give me (and everybody else) a break...

most of the stuff in here is bull from twitter or other forums, so your point isnt valid. what i wrote might or might not be true, but same goes for many other posts regarding players in this thread........its a bloody rumours thread!

i have only been offensive to one person who was acting like a dickhead, but i have plenty more insults for you if you want?

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Every player is worth what other clubs are prepared to pay for him ... If we are prepared to pay 18-19 million for Downing, that's his worth ...

So if we were willing to pay 5000000000 trillion for Andy Cole to come out of retirement, that's what he'd be worth?

You, like so many others, are mixing up cost with worth/value.

If they DID do a 3-4-3, then Alves would not be one of the defenders, it would have to be Puyol, Pique and Abidal, with Alves deployed on the right wing-back role.

Can't see 3 at the back being done without Puyol either, not sure where the express guy got that idea from really.

and it seems McLeish is mixing crack cocaine with his heroin because it is being reported that they now want £25M.

Downing will surely kick off if they've done that. The manager has spent the previous season managing their rivals and then the club are beings cunts like that, we won't be paying 25mil for him.

Edited by Red Phoenix

ASTON Villa have told Liverpool to stop wasting their time on Stewart Downing – as Alex McLeish focuses instead on raiding Blues this weekend for his potential new assistant boss Peter Grant.

It has emerged that Kenny Dalglish’s side originally had a £12 million offer for Downing rejected out of hand three weeks ago before returning with an improved £15 million bid on Tuesday.

Villa are insulted by the Anfield giants’ valuations of Downing, particularly the opening gambit which was the amount Villa originally paid for the winger when he was injured two years ago.

A mooted third bid predicted to be around the £18 million mark has not materialised and the claret and blues are keen for Liverpool to now divert their attentions away from the England wideman.

Randy Lerner, Paul Faulkner and McLeish are adamant there is no need or desire to sell the former Middlesbrough favourite who still has two years on his contract despite rejecting a new deal.

Even if Downing attempts to force the issue with a formal transfer request Villa are prepared to stick to their stance and keep him against his wishes, unless Kenny Dalglish returns with an irresistible offer, possibly as high as £25 million.

Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov revealed Downing displayed a professional attitude when the first team squad returned to pre-season training and met the new manager at Bodymoor Heath yesterday.

“We’d love to keep Stewart, he had an exceptional season last season and he’s a great talent,” said Petrov.

“But the chairman is the man who knows what is right and wrong for the club and he will always do what is right.

“In the first season here Stewart he was injured and didn’t have a full pre-season. When he did get a full pre-season last season he was flying from the start to the end. That’s why he was voted player of the year.

Read More Aston Villa tell Liverpool: You're wasting your time over Stewart Downing - Aston Villa FC news - Aston Villa - Sport - Birmingham Mail

I had lunch at The Boot Room yesterday. They still have a mocktail on the menu called the "Torres".

Didn't have one myself but understand it is flat, lacks sparkle and leaves a nasty after taste.

Anyway, thought I would liven up this thread today

Guest davelfc
and it seems McLeish is mixing crack cocaine with his heroin because it is being reported that they now want £25M.

1306626161550125.gif

McLeish didn't have a problem agreeing £fuckall for Young, I don't care what the arguement is regarding contract length, he could have cost exactly the same in January or even more, seeing as he would likely tip the title race for whoever he signed for.

Nah, old pals act, ginger cunt.

It's upto Downing now, slap in the transfer request and rile them. To be honest, he should have done it from the off, as Young did.

But I'd still pay £20m for him. This is the difference between being hard-headed and being determined to build this team in the way we want it.

Yes, we could look elsewhere, but it wouldn't be Kenny's first choice. I'd rather pay the premium and get the team Kenny is dreaming of, rather than the one our pride lands us with.

Is it bad if i compare downing to bentley and pennant? I compare because all of those players had a few average seasons, one decent one, and then everyone was hyping them ( well on rawk they are).

the difference is, downing will cost us fuckin 20 million pound.:wallbutt:

Is it bad if i compare downing to bentley and pennant? I compare because all of those players had a few average seasons, one decent one, and then everyone was hyping them ( well on rawk they are).

the difference is, downing will cost us fuckin 20 million pound.:wallbutt:

you cant compare bentley to downing. bentley has no end product and he cant even make half a yard to get his cross in. he is a beckham wannabe but doesnt have the proper delivery along with good decision making to be a top footballer.

pennant? well he was always shit, always a poor mans wright-phillips (who is shit anyway)

downing is better than both. he is stronger, taller and has a better finall ball than both of them. he also has a better mentality and is a better professional.

but fuck is he worth 20 million...

McLeish didn't have a problem agreeing £fuckall for Young, I don't care what the arguement is regarding contract length, he could have cost exactly the same in January or even more, seeing as he would likely tip the title race for whoever he signed for.

Nah, old pals act, ginger cunt.

It's upto Downing now, slap in the transfer request and rile them. To be honest, he should have done it from the off, as Young did.

But I'd still pay £20m for him. This is the difference between being hard-headed and being determined to build this team in the way we want it.

Yes, we could look elsewhere, but it wouldn't be Kenny's first choice. I'd rather pay the premium and get the team Kenny is dreaming of, rather than the one our pride lands us with.

So much this. Same with fat head and dave whelan

I think Bentley would've been a class player if he'd had the right club, team and manager personally. He has the ability, I just don't think he's had the right guidance or team to fit in with properly enough.

And yeah I know you can say he's done fuck all, but that's what I mean about guidance, I think the right manager would've turned him into a great player. Seems to need the right mentality instilling into him.

'Arry was probably telling him to "Get it onto X players 'ed son and hit a decent free kick." I doubt that was enough to help him. I bet Kenny, or as much as I hate to say it, Slur, would've turned him into a good player by making him work for the team in the right way.

Edited by Red Phoenix

you cant compare bentley to downing. bentley has no end product and he cant even make half a yard to get his cross in. he is a beckham wannabe but doesnt have the proper delivery along with good decision making to be a top footballer.

pennant? well he was always shit, always a poor mans wright-phillips (who is shit anyway)

downing is better than both. he is stronger, taller and has a better finall ball than both of them. he also has a better mentality and is a better professional.

but fuck is he worth 20 million...

I think i can compare him to bentley though to be honest.

bentley was up there with the best in 2008

Football: Opta stats: Premier League player rankings | Football | guardian.co.uk

his crosses and passes where ridiculous at times, and he scored something like 8 goals and 13 assists, he looked decent to me. but then he started to become over hyped and the fees being flown around at the time where ridiculous considering he only had one or two decent seasons.

I want to compared him, because downing is the same, downing has only had one or two decent seasons ( not even fantastic), and now they want 20 million for him? and we might actually sign him for that? ugh.