You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

England v Pakistan

Red Banjo

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would be such a shame if it was Amir, why do it?? Asif put himself in the shit when he was starting out, might of thought he would of learnt from that.

I would expect it to be him. A naive young kid in a foreign country would probably not think anything of being asked to throw a few no balls in a cricket match in return for some money. I doubt he's even aware that it's illegal and unsporting.

I would expect it to be him. A naive young kid in a foreign country would probably not think anything of being asked to throw a few no balls in a cricket match in return for some money. I doubt he's even aware that it's illegal and unsporting.

Well allegedly, i've just read that this is far more than just Amir, it says Salmun Butt is the ring leader, it's three no balls involving Amir and Asif.

I bet he's fully aware of the legality and morality of it.

You need better bait than that.

Hardly 'bait'. He's 18, from a remote village in Pakistan, a country where gambling is almost unheard of. For all he knows, throwing matches for money is the norm.

He's a professional sportsman, played the game since he was probably about 6 or earlier and will be well aware of his responsibilities. He doubtlessly has a contract and will have been fully briefed.

He may not have imagined he'd be collared, or that it is as serious as it is. But don't tell me he doesn't know it's wrong. Get some better bait.

I wonder if a few of them had a few quid on England to win the test ala the Aussies?

I still wouldn't count this out. Just because there has been no allegation of match fixing yet doesn't mean it hasn't being going on. The way I suggested would be far harder to trace.

Butt is obviously involved (the fixer knew who would be bowling each over), unfortunately young Amir is involved and so is Asif.

Makes a fucking mockery of Inzamam-ul-Haq and the outrage the Pakistanis caused after being called for tampering with the ball by Darrel Hair.

I don't give a fuck what country, race or religion someone is, it ain't nice to be accused of cheating. When you have a record of it, it's more likely to happen, tough shit.

Edited by lifetime fan

Inexcusable, are lifetime bans likely? In the case of Amir it will be a shame because he was going to be very, very special but they all have to be massively punished if guilty.

Highly unlikely to be lifetime bans. Politically, it will be hard for the ICC to influence any stringent penalties with the PCB taking the lead to apply the necessary action. Will be banned for a limited time (if the allegations are proven), and fined, to take them out of the media glare for a while and then reinstated.

Any lifeterm bans will be in lieu and placed to pacify the public with a timetable set for it to be overturned. Asif and Akmal could possibly see their careers ending if proven to be involved, as they were pretty much on trial for past indiscretions. Akmal has previous form of allegations of match fixing and deliberately underperforming (from his own team management). Amir will get a slap on the wrists more than likely, taking into account his age and potential.

I state this, as a precedent on the process has been set previously on similar matters relating to this team.

Admittedly not watched that much of this series (just highlights), but watched all the no balls in question that Sky News showed. They were fucking horrendous. Even the commentators at the time said they were bizarre because of the length they overstepped.

I'm surprised no one has questioned their batting in this series yet.

65-7 now.

The whole series is under a cloud, for me anyway. All those dropped catches at Edgbaston, many of them very easy...Akmal being one of the worst culprits.

I do feel a bit sorry for Amir. He's 18 and he's probably just done what his skipper and senior players told him to do.