You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres not joining Chelsea or anyone else this summer

http://www.footylatest.com/torres-not-joining-chelsea-or-anyone-else-this-summer/14175

Rumours are everywhere that Fernando Torres will be leaving Liverpool this summer with Chelsea the apparent favourites, however on this occasion it does appear they are somewhat wide of the mark.

Doubts over the future Rafa Benitez have added fuel to the fire as has the debt and owner issues but the basic facts are that Liverpool are nowhere near the stage of being forced in to a sale and know that the sale of Torres could cripple the Anfield outfit and possibly set them back years, an opinion shared by some of the shrewdest people in the football game, the bookies.

The bookies are not dumb and for them to price up Torres at 6/1 to join Chelsea shows that they and their sources simply do not see Torres becoming a Chelsea player next season, another factor to consider is the outright denials from both the player and the club.

So what we have is the bookies, Torres, Benitez and the club saying he is not going nowhere as opposed to the likes of The Sun, The Mirror and The Star all screaming that Torres is leaving.

We will leave it to the reader to decide who they believe though it is hardly rocket science to choose the most probable outcome.

Which is that Torres will be a Liverpool player next season.

Put out the bunting...

This wasn't worthy of its own thread particularly, but it does raise an interesting point. Which I am about to elaborate on. Pull up a pew.

Right, let's assume that Torres does want to leave, just for the sake of argument. Maybe he hates Rafa. Maybe he's worried about the future of the club. Maybe he's been on a spree of killing dogs around Sefton Park in the last few months and he's worried that the net is closing in. It doesn't matter. Worst case scenario, he wants to leave.

Liverpool, though, will not let him go on the cheap. His wages will be at least £110,000 a week. And his reason for leaving, of course, is that he wants to win trophies, namely league titles and the Champions League.

That narrows his field considerably. In this country, the only clubs that can fulfil all three criteria are Chelsea, Arsenal, and Manchester United. Manchester City can meet the first two, but not the third. In Spain, only Barcelona and Real Madrid could afford him, and probably only Inter Milan in Italy and Bayern in Germany.

We can rule out Arsenal - Wenger won't spend that - and United, because we wouldn't sell to them. He wouldn't play for Real, and it's hard to imagine him going to Germany.

That leaves Chelsea, Barca, Inter and City. City are not in the CL, and so moving there does not guarantee playing at the top level any more than staying here as far as this summer goes. Playing there at the moment is not as attractive as it may have been had City got fourth.

Chelsea seem to be favourites, but they haven't spent hugely on players for three years and need more than just one signing. Barca would have to shift Zlatan - admitting he's a failure after just a season - and already have a verbal agreement to sign David Villa. That leaves Inter, who already have Eto'o and Milito, and who may not be that attractive to Torres.

Basically, it's all very well saying that Torres wants to leave, or that he will go if this or that doesn't happen, but it may not be that simple. He may leave, and I'd understand if he did, but I wouldn't put money on it just yet.

Basically, it's all very well saying that Torres wants to leave, or that he will go if this or that doesn't happen, but it may not be that simple. He may leave, and I'd understand if he did, but I wouldn't put money on it just yet.

Correct, I see him going to Barcelona and that's about it. This year? Who knows. But he will end up there. And he would be a better match in their formation than Villa...

Correct, I see him going to Barcelona and that's about it. This year? Who knows. But he will end up there. And he would be a better match in their formation than Villa...

Yep, agree with that. He will go there in the end, but if I was him, I'd wait two more years - when they'll be ready to get rid of Ibrahimovic - before doing it. That way, he'd be 28, at his peak as a striker, and have Messi, Iniesta, Dani Alves, Pedro (and if they have any sense about them, Di Maria) around him.

It was the same with Xabi (for me, if not for everyone else), and I know a few Arsenal fans who feel the same about Fabregas. Foreign players will go home eventually, or to one of the giant continental clubs they grew up wanting to play for, and fans just have to accept it. You just have to hope they stick around for a while, or, in Torres's case, don't jump at the first sign of trouble.

Footylatest.com » Editorial English Football Headlines Liverpool » Torres not joining Chelsea or anyone else this summer

Rumours are everywhere that Fernando Torres will be leaving Liverpool this summer with Chelsea the apparent favourites, however on this occasion it does appear they are somewhat wide of the mark.

Doubts over the future Rafa Benitez have added fuel to the fire as has the debt and owner issues but the basic facts are that Liverpool are nowhere near the stage of being forced in to a sale and know that the sale of Torres could cripple the Anfield outfit and possibly set them back years, an opinion shared by some of the shrewdest people in the football game, the bookies.

The bookies are not dumb and for them to price up Torres at 6/1 to join Chelsea shows that they and their sources simply do not see Torres becoming a Chelsea player next season, another factor to consider is the outright denials from both the player and the club.

So what we have is the bookies, Torres, Benitez and the club saying he is not going nowhere as opposed to the likes of The Sun, The Mirror and The Star all screaming that Torres is leaving.

We will leave it to the reader to decide who they believe though it is hardly rocket science to choose the most probable outcome.

Which is that Torres will be a Liverpool player next season.

You're missing the point. The point isnt we will be forced to sell Torres to cover debt payments, the point is Torres knows the club is going nowhere in the next 2 to 3 years. By which time, he'll be knocking on the door of 28 - 29 years of age.

So what if we 'challenge' for the league cup next season? Im certain Torres would look back on that when he hangs up his boots.

If Torres has a good world cup, I think the chances of him leaving will increase significantly. And I already think we are in serious danger of losing him in the summer regardless.

In other words, its not our debt that could 'force' any sale, its his expectations and ours being miles apart for the next couple of seasons.