You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

SOS Minutes with Purslow meeting

Red_or_Dead

Guest Numero Veinticinco
He hasn't just ammended though he has changed important points and added stuff he didn't say to us on the night.

Look at that article above though and he specifically talks about a plan b, when he told us there wasn't one. He gets that out in time for when we get our minutes out. Suspicious.

Would you, if you were the MD of one of the worlds best know names, want to be on record as saying 'there's no plan b'?

Look, I'm just glad that we've got to see the original text. I'm just saying that I would never expect anybody in his position to want that out in the media.

• Replies 866
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He will obviously be seen as a liar, perhaps he doesn't care about that, though?

If he achieves his goal I doubt he would care which way he is seen. He may well be a supporter but his first loyalty will be to RBS.

That said it sounds like we have a common goal, getting rid off or diluting the owners hold on the club.

If we can achieve that then surely everybody would be happy.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Of course it is but he surely knew that SOS would print what was said, I have absolutely no doubt about that..

He had the agreement that he would agree to any minutes, didn't he? In which case, he wouldn't have thought he'd have too much trouble.

I'm just saying that it is common practice to do what he has done. I quite like what he said in reality, but I'm not shocked that he didn't want what was said available for everybody to hear. It'll create too many waves.

Some people will see him as a liar. Others will see SOS as liars.

It's obvious what most of us will think, but how does this play with the fan on the street?

I'm pretty sure Tony Barrett and/or Tony Evans will run with it in The Times. The way the media have been on about debt over the last few weeks, and have been critical of the Glazers, the Portsmouth situation, and even our own owners, probably means we should see a positive angle on this - positive in the sense that it will probably lean towards siding with SoS.

He had the agreement that he would agree to any minutes, didn't he? In which case, he wouldn't have thought he'd have too much trouble.

I'm just saying that it is common practice to do what he has done. I quite like what he said in reality, but I'm not shocked that he didn't want what was said available for everybody to hear. It'll create too many waves.

Then why say it, a man with his experience does not do that without knowing it is going to come out.

I know you decided that it was best to release the actual minutes aswell as his, but I don't like the look of this. I know it was wrong, but maybe he was trying to show that he was on our side by saying what he did in your version, but also trying to show that if the minutes weren't edited it puts his job in a dodgy position. Now we'll have to see what those two cunts do next.

A very interesting read overall.

I find the differences between the two accounts of the meeting particularly significant.

Purlsow clearly tries to come across as a very frank man. you can tell from how he's phrased his minutes that he's made things sound alltogether more eloquent and political than what SOS have recorded, leaving room for interpretation, but he is still very much trying to be direct in most of his answers. The REALLY interesting thing though is the things SOS say Purslow said which he has withdrawn. One comment that springs to mind is his response to being asked about the owners' valuation, completely ommitted from his version of events, and where SOS suggest he was quite damning about how realistic they were being.

So basically what we have is Purslow in his minutes trying to cover up gaps that he feels might be opened up between him and the owners by SOS's interpretation of what was said but it wouldnt make a lot of sense to me for SOS to invent significant things like this. SOS dont have an interest to drive a wedge between CP and the owners. It seems far more likely to me that CP was more honest than on reflection he thought he should be in the meeting and was trying to negotiate down the tone of what was said.

Depending on what version of events you read you either get a man trying to do the best for the club despite the owners in the SOS version or someone more neutral to the owners trying to assuage the fans with some information and I'm more tempted to believe the former and as such am optimistic he may ultimately be a good thing. I hope that SOS haven't inadvertantly made his job more difficult if this is the case.

What do people think about CP's repeated plea for SOS to reduce protest activity while we search for new investment? My personal feeling is that he has a point. Things aren't going to improve BECAUSE of protests in the short-term, the yanks won't give into it if they feel it's against their financial interest. It requires trust in Purslow to make this leap of faith and I'm not sure he's done enough to deserve it but if there's a chance of it moving us closer to being rid of the yanks then isn't it preferable to protesting in vain as the ship slowly sinks?

He's saying "I'm immortal" and "You lot are 200 divvies".

He's bad mouthed us regularly but won't take us on to our face.

SOS is basically a torn in his side, he cannot handle or make the Union do as he wants and being a bit of a control freak, he would not take that well.

I say control freak because that is the way he seems to be coming across.

So basically what we have is Purslow in his minutes trying to cover up gaps that he feels might be opened up between him and the owners by SOS's interpretation of what was said but it wouldnt make a lot of sense to me for SOS to invent significant things like this. SOS dont have an interest to drive a wedge between CP and the owners. It seems far more likely to me that CP was more honest than on reflection he thought he should be in the meeting and was trying to negotiate down the tone of what was said.

If that is true then he would not be qualified to do his job, which includes being capable of conducting high pressure meetings without saying whatever pops into his head.

His minutes will help protect his relationship with G&H and also put a professional spin onto the meeting for his records.

What he actually said he knew would become public knowledge and it is saying to potential buyers that they need to front up, there are 5 or 6 of them, yes the club is over valued, if we don't qualify for the CL next season the price will come down and that G&H may not have any choice but to accept a 'reasonable' offer if it is on the table.

Is he arrogant enough to think that he can speak freely and not get pulled up by it? Hopefully not.

His minutes will help protect his relationship with G&H and also put a professional spin onto the meeting for his records.

What he actually said he knew would become public knowledge and it is saying to potential buyers that they need to front up, there are 5 or 6 of them, yes the club is over valued, if we don't qualify for the CL next season the price will come down and that G&H may not have any choice but to accept a 'reasonable' offer if it is on the table.

Is he arrogant enough to think that he can speak freely and not get pulled up by it? Hopefully not.

I thought about this too.

Maybe it's a way of getting his real message out without admitting to his feelings about the owners.

Excellent post, Dirk. If only other people could see the goings on, rather than slamming him for being 'G+H's man' and 'spreading their lies', we'd be better off.

Even if he is paid by Hicks and Gillet, it doesn't mean that he is their man. As I've said more than once on this forum, he could earn more money, with less grief doing something different.

So now we're implying that he can't be sacked by G&H? Who owns the club?

I don't think this whole unedifying episode reflects well on anyone really.

SOS quacking on about CP being "immortal" and thinking they're all "divvies"

Very objective, that.

If that is true then he would not be qualified to do his job, which includes being capable of conducting high pressure meetings without saying whatever pops into his head.

The differences aren't massive apart from a few OMMISSIONS from his minutes.

I think even the best people are capable of reflecting that too much information might have been doled out after the fact.

The differences aren't massive apart from a few OMMISSIONS from his minutes.

I think even the best people are capable of reflecting that too much information might have been doled out after the fact.

It could be the case, but my feeling is that it's more likely that he went in with the intention of saying one thing in the meeting and another in the minutes, knowing he could deny what was said in the meeting.