You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sick of being Fat

Fowlers God

Well, yeah, that's the point i didn't make really - the gym don't want me (or you) there. A corporate gym exists to collect monthly direct debits and the less people who darken their door the better. They certainly don't want people turning up and bringing wear and tear to their equipment. 

"As for personal trainers, I’ve known great ones. But the business model is akin to babysitting: There’s no percentage in teaching clients independence by showing them basic barbell lifts and telling them to add weight each time. Better to invent super-fun, high-intensity routines that entertain and bewilder clients, so they’ll never leave you. The science of muscle confusion, in other words, looks a lot like the marketing tradecraft of client confusion."

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/25/opinion/sunday/fitness-crazed.html

Anyway, sorry, I've derailed the thread somewhat. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Anny Road said:

I do very few exercises, Squats, deads, push press, bench press, dips, pull ups and rows, pretty much covers it. One day a week I’ll have a ‘fuck about day’ were I may do so triceps biceps abs, whatever and not caring too much. More stretching than anything else.

At the moment i'm on a Heavy Light Medium split, with Squats, bench press, overhead press, deadlifts and i've thrown in lat pull downs (which i haven't done in years). I started this in January and will run it until end of March. If i had the time i'd do chins and dips and other assistance stuff but it's just not possible at the minute. Will probably swap it around after March. I used to enjoy doing power cleans but they were so loud in the gym i was a bit self conscious haha. I might give them another go one day. If you're on Instagram Kris Pope (female) is a brilliant Olympic lifter and good to watch her for form. 

I'm bigger and stronger than i've ever been. I turn 40 later in the year and have some targets on those lifts i want to hit before my birthday. I'd like to do a powerlift meet one day, but have no idea where i'd even start with that.

I told my mate that I joined a gym. He was shocked at first.

Then he said "why don't you just use the work gym?". I told him it was because it didn't have the machine I need. He said "What's that a defibrillator?"

Bastard!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

• 7 months later...
On 04/03/2019 at 11:19, Lario said:

What would be a good minimum daily calorie requirement (without going catabolic as fuck) for someone that does weights 3 times a week and plays 5-a-side twice a week?

It depends what you’re looking for mate. Looking to lose fat? Maintain weight? Etc.

On 05/03/2019 at 09:44, Jennings said:

I am trying the 5:2 diet. Done for about a month now.

In fact today is one of my 'fast' days.

That's the Michael Mosley one ey? Looks interesting. Yeah the fasting thing is getting a lot of mileage and seems to bring not only weight loss results but also general health improvement.

Fasting is just a method to create a calorie deficit. There are plenty of ways of achieving it; Slimming World, Weight Watchers, Low Carb, No Carb, Fasting etc.

Best thing to do is to find the way that is sustainable for you.

I’m eating all kinds of food I love at the moment (Curries, Pizza, Lasagne, Chocolate etc) and shedding plenty of weight (lost 9 pound in 6 weeks). I’m just in a manageable deficit.

• Upvote 1

I can't recommend this lecture enough. Explains systemically what is happening on high fat/low carb, high carb/low fat and any combination in between as well as FASTING.
Dave Feldman describes the human energy system using his accurate research. Why the medical profession is playing catch up.

• 4 months later...
Guest Pistonbroke

Since my shoulder operations and the fact I still have a long road ahead with physio due to all the muscles which attach to the shoulder (loads of them and all major ones) being buggered I've taken up walking long distances with and without the dog, not a lot more I can do in all honesty. Anyway, so far this year I've walked 829.000 steps at a daily average of 12, 189 steps. Not bad considering I was out of complete action for 3 weeks, basically my true average is around 15.000 steps a day which equates to walking two marathons a week. I've dropped 9kg (about 19.8 pounds) so far, feeling a load better with my general health and sleeping a load better. Even when it's pissing it down I don my wet weather gear and my new Wellies, headphones in, Radio Broadgreen/Merseyside/Local radio Bielefeld and away I go. Dog is also fit as fuck now, although she gets a bit arsey when the weather is shit. I'm going to up the anti in the warmer weather and take her for a long walk and then go on another by myself at a brisker pace. Also bought one of those steppers and going to do step aerobics whilst watching Netflix/footie etc. Also eat less and have cut down on the auld bread and cheese, no alcohol since New Years Day. 

Once you get over that initial period of using your willpower to get on with it things become a lot easier and I actually look forward to it. Life is good at the moment, just need to sort this shoulder shit out. 

Has anybody successfully lost weight whilst being on meds like Hydrocortisone, or Prednisolone, or during adrenal crisis? I've put on loads post-chemo but still got loads of steroids to take.

I'm due to move from the former on to Prednisolone at some point soon, and read somebody on here say they put loads on when they took it. I don't think the changeover will make too much of a difference, having gone from 92kg to 115kg (pre lymphoma), and then 84kg to 124kg post treatment. Doctors say there's nothing to be done, as it's "steroid belly". That does my head in, to be honest, but to a degree it's true - eating is a constant thought, and it's like I've turned into a labrador. 

Exercise is hardly a major factor/ solution at the moment, as still building up from 3000 steps to 8000 steps; so well under pre health problems, but on the right trajectory.

I will get there but it seems like such a long haul. Any success stories would be much appreciated, as a morale boost is sorely needed!

• Upvote 3

Guest Pistonbroke

A major plus about losing weight is I can now fit into a shit load of clothes that I've hardly worn. Told this missus that I've saved us a fortune and ordered a new tablet as if I need to go back into hospital I'll be fucked if I'm watching stuff on a mobile. 

On 09/03/2020 at 18:12, Jarvinja Ilnow said:

Has anybody successfully lost weight whilst being on meds like Hydrocortisone, or Prednisolone, or during adrenal crisis? I've put on loads post-chemo but still got loads of steroids to take.

I'm due to move from the former on to Prednisolone at some point soon, and read somebody on here say they put loads on when they took it. I don't think the changeover will make too much of a difference, having gone from 92kg to 115kg (pre lymphoma), and then 84kg to 124kg post treatment. Doctors say there's nothing to be done, as it's "steroid belly". That does my head in, to be honest, but to a degree it's true - eating is a constant thought, and it's like I've turned into a labrador. 

Exercise is hardly a major factor/ solution at the moment, as still building up from 3000 steps to 8000 steps; so well under pre health problems, but on the right trajectory.

I will get there but it seems like such a long haul. Any success stories would be much appreciated, as a morale boost is sorely needed!

Just do loads more wanking mate. X

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...

I deffo need to shed some timber now. I lost about a stone when I was in hospital and have used the excuse that I can eat what I want as I 'need to build myself back up' as justification, which has meant living on a diet of eating 3 meals per day not always healthy ones and destroying family size bars of dairy milk dime bars, Doritos, cans of coke, cornetto's, biscuits every night. I've loved every minute of it but you can only get away with it for so long.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Aw Geez said:

I could do with shifting about 12kg. Piece of piss.

If only it came off as easy as it went on.

I know exactly what to do to lose it but it's no fun.

My plan is to get lean and then bang it all back on again, mmmm chocolate.

2 minutes ago, littletedwest said:

Never been as fat. Gyms closed no job plus no get up for work so boozing twice a week.

No consistency in my diet. Was lean at 12 stone 10 I'm 14 stone plus now

I'm going to use myfitness pal and count calories. Once you get into the habit of it, it becomes easier but it's getting over the cravings early doors that's the hard part.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, I piled on the weight over the first 6 weeks of lockdown, and I’d already put on too much weight as it was. So I gave up the booze almost 5 weeks ago and have been eating healthily and doing sporadic exercise (hard to do when you’ve a 2 and a 1 year old at home) and have so far lost 31lbs. Another stone and a half and I’ll be fighting fit again. 

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Yeah, I piled on the weight over the first 6 weeks of lockdown, and I’d already put on too much weight as it was. So I gave up the booze almost 5 weeks ago and have been eating healthily and doing sporadic exercise (hard to do when you’ve a 2 and a 1 year old at home) and have so far lost 31lbs. Another stone and a half and I’ll be fighting fit again. 

How heavy were you mate?  Big weight loss that well done