You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Legal Help desperately needed!

She Knows It

Guest davelfc

Sorry to hear that, from memory I think two months is the minimum notice but this could be longer if your landlord has other issues. You have plenty of time to seek advice through the CAB when they open unless someone here can offer firm advice.

Guest davelfc
Im no expert but i know for a fact there is a months notice needed.

No you have to usually give a landlord one month, they have to give you at least two.

To end a Shorthold tenancy the landlord must give at least two months' notice under Section 21 of the 1988 Housing Act.

Once the fixed-term has ended the tenancy automatically becomes a periodic one. Here, the landlord is required to give 2 months' notice, and the tenant gives one months' notice in writing (when rent is paid monthly) or 4 weeks' notice (28 days) when the rent is paid weekly.

Notice to Quit - Residential Tenancies - LandlordZONE

Fucking hell Liz, never rains but pours for you doesn't it?

We were in a similar situation a few years back, but we were told by a lawyer that despite what a a piece of paper said, 'no court in the land' would throw us out because we had a kid living here - my sister - who's also autistic. It'd be national news if you got the boot there, rest easy.

Fucking hell Liz, never rains but pours for you doesn't it?

We were in a similar situation a few years back, but we were told by a lawyer that despite what a a piece of paper said, 'no court in the land' would throw us out because we had a kid living here - my sister - who's also autistic. It'd be national news if you got the boot there, rest easy.

Cheers Mark, that's quite reassuring even though I also know that no court will give me indefinite leave to stay and while I'm still unemployed it doesn't really make much odds to me if they give me a month, 2 months or 6 months. The only option that's open to me without a job is going to the council and getting a place through being homeless.

THis was all a ploy to get a hotdog and a coffee off atk wasn't it?

Girl's gotta take what she can when the chips are down. I'm hoping for an evening with Prince William as well.

Cheers Mark, that's quite reassuring even though I also know that no court will give me indefinite leave to stay and while I'm still unemployed it doesn't really make much odds to me if they give me a month, 2 months or 6 months. The only option that's open to me without a job is going to the council and getting a place through being homeless.

I don't want to get your hopes up here, but I've just double checked with the old girl, and she reckoned she was told she could stay there 'indefinitely' because of my sister's condition, also because the old man was signed off longterm with depression. She just didn't want to stay because the landlords were cunts. She did get the first council house which came up though, jumped pretty much to the front of the queue.

I don't want to get your hopes up here, but I've just double checked with the old girl, and she reckoned she was told she could stay there 'indefinitely' because of my sister's condition, also because the old man was signed off longterm with depression. She just didn't want to stay because the landlords were cunts. She did get the first council house which came up though, jumped pretty much to the front of the queue.

I doubt that would be the case here. The company owes ridiculous amounts to the Inland Revenue amongst others, and as my home is one of only a few assets it will be seized to pay off the debt. I'm waiting to hear something officially from the administrators.

Best of luck with it Liz, although best case scenario is that another social landlord buys the stock and keep the existing tenants. That happens quite often, in fact I think they may get first refusal. There are housing associations I've dealt with through various avenues who're always looking for new stock and are positively hemorrhaging spondulics.

If its an Assured Shorthold Tenancy (AST) you are entitled to a minimum of 2 months written notice if they are going for a Notice Requiring Possession - the usual route if you haven't breached the tenancy, aka 'Section 21 accelerated possession'. At the end of the 2 months they then have to send you court papers which say they are applying to court and you have I think 21 days to respond - you can state re children etc in your response and ask for suspended possession. Section 21 orders are not heard in open court, they are decided by judges in chambers and granting possession is generally automatic but they might delay the date a bit if for example you're waiting to move into other accomm and have a definite offer. If you still haven't moved out after the Court has granted possession (4 weeks I think) the landlord than has to go back to court for an Eviction Order to get bailiffs in again. I reckon all of the above would take a minimum of 4 months. Once you've got a Notice you can apply to the council for accommodation (if you're desperate!) and should be given priority if you have children.

Best to contact Shelter England - The housing and homelessness charityfor proper legal advice - their advisers are generally very well informed (and free).