You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PaulMcC

How often did we play 442 last season?

I can remember Mancs at home and Everton away off the top of my head. Wigan at home.

Any others?

I'm asking cos i think in 442 Gerrard is more suited to centre midfield than he is in a 4231, where both players sort of sit at times and the wide are higher up the pitch, and i think Kuyt is less suited to the right side in a 442.

So mostly we played shit when we went 4-4-2 with Gerrard in midfield?

It looks like it but i think it suits him better to be centre midfield in a 442 that a 4231 unless Masacherano will be the only one holding in the 4231 but then we haven't really got anyone dictating the play from the centre.

I think the reason were shit in most of the 442 games was cos Keane was playing. Although Kuyt isn't suited to the right in a 442 either.

I think Kuyt and Torres would be decent together.

Yossi on the right, Riera on the left with Lucas or Mascherano and Gerrard in the middle.

But using just those players you mention, they are much more suited to this formation:

Gerrard Mascherano

Kuyt Benayoun Riera

..........Torres

There we go, sorted.

I think Kuyt and Torres would be decent together.

Yossi on the right, Riera on the left with Lucas or Mascherano and Gerrard in the middle.

I think that could work too. But I'd prefer to give our current (and previously most successful for years) formation more than one bad game before ditching it.

He won't do that though, he'll get forward when he can. So will Aquilani when fit. Neither are holding players.

Hopefully he can dictate play from there and get forward in time to support the attack too.

Mascherano's passing isn't as good as Alonso's so it might take us a while to get settled in that formation without him.

Personally, i think we'll see the same as Sunday but with Riera or Yossi in for Babel. With a more attacking attitude. I'd be happy enough with that too cos i don't dislike Lucas as a player.

But using just those players you mention, they are much more suited to this formation:

Gerrard Mascherano

Kuyt Benayoun Riera

..........Torres

There we go, sorted.

Is what I was thinking or

Kuyt Gerrard Mascherano Benayoun

Babel

Torres

and rotate Kuyt, Babel and Benayoun around