You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Football opinion amnesty thread

RedinSweden

Iniesta was only rated so highly because the hipsters didn't want to be seen giving Xavi (the real great player) any praise. 

Zidane and Ribery are other players I've never seen have the games that made people go over board about them

I don't like Firmino and hope he is sold off, although he won't be. Goes missing far too often, has far more shit games than good. Trouble is, his shit games are beyond shit, where it looks like he's not even a footballer. He infuriates me immensely.

massively overrated, though he will have games where even if nothing is coming off for him he'll put the effort in, and I don't mind that.  It's the games where he offers nothing and wanders around that irritate me.  And there are too many of them.

Guest Pistonbroke

Much could be said about most of our players, even Lallana has had those spells and took quite a while to bed in at the start. I don't see anybody going OTT on Firminho though. Let's see how our better technical players get on when we strengthen in other areas before throwing them under a bus. 

Much could be said about most of our players, even Lallana has had those spells and took quite a while to bed in at the start. I don't see anybody going OTT on Firminho though. Let's see how our better technical players get on when we strengthen in other areas before throwing them under a bus.

I don't think he is one of our better technical players though, he's capable of the sublime, but so are a majority of forward players in the League. What sets the top players apart from the average ones is doing it consistently. Most of the time his 1st touch is abysmal, (cue someone putting up a gif of him bringing the ball under, that fell out of the sky) most of the time he loses possession you'd swear he was colour blind, just passing to the oppo, could understand if he was trying an extravagant 'hollywood' through ball but most of the time it's just an easy pass he can't complete, his little fancy flicks in our half/on the edge of our box whilst defending a 1 goal lead that don't come off (West Brom I think). I don't think there's ever been a regular starter that infuriates me more.

I refuse to believe that somebody you don't know can offend you or hurt your feelings, straight up refuse, regardless of anything they say about you, jesus christ.

So you agree with the Italian FA rather than the racially abused Sulley Muntari then?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/sulley-muntari-racism-cagliari-pescara-italian-football-a7716301.html

Really???

It shouldn't upset anyone.  Seriously.  It's an internet forum.  Most people on here don't know one another from Adam.  Those who get upset shouldn't bother with it.  And those who try to upset others should just be laughed at.

It shouldn't upset anyone. Seriously. It's an internet forum. Most people on here don't know one another from Adam. Those who get upset shouldn't bother with it. And those who try to upset others should just be laughed at.

Maybe be I'm misreading his post but my first response is the rag and Kelvin McKenzie?

We should sell Sturridge to the highest bidder then bring in Defoe on the cheap so we have more money for elsewhere. I can't see our current front 3 changing next season. He won't expect to start every game but fuck me that lad knows where the net is. I can't wait for Ings to get fit again too. 

I really, really hope we sell Henderson this summer.

I have little expectation that we will, but I really think this is where his legs fall off and his value will massively decline going forward.  If we put him up for sale right now I think we'd get 30 million or so.  West Ham, or maybe even City or someone (for a homegrown player to stash) would give us that, I think.

One, we could do much better than him for that money if spent well.  Paredes would be better, and I think he'd cost less in terms of fee and wages.  Neves/Tielemans would be at the same level and would develop into better players.  Etc.

Two, and this is the main thrust of my argument, I think he's going to decline a lot quicker than we hope he will.  He's had a LOT of miles on those legs very early in his career and I think he's going to do a Rooney where he's basically done by 29 or so.  So that will be 2, maybe 3 more seasons, each of them a bit worse than the one before.

The main reason for this along with the huge workload he had at a young age is his injuries, which are really starting to pile up.  He's been out 9 weeks now with a bruise, and everyone acts like this is totally normal.  Earlier he's had lengthy heel injuries, another uncommon thing to see.  I just think that he's going to have a hard time giving us more than 2000-2500 minutes/season going forward and we're better off cashing in while his perceived value is at its peak this summer.

Again, I don't think this will happen; my point is just that it should.

• Upvote 4