You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ashley Young in Liverpool...

ScouseJim

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seeing as we are linked with him thought I'd watch him, never noticed him before as he doesn't do anything against us. But I watched all the youtube stuff and there was a noticeable lack of him beating his man. He was either running into space on the counter a la Babel or he'd get to the FB, check and cross with his right. Is he really that one dimensional I assumed he was some Messi type dribbling superstar, looks more like a pacy Beckham to me.

Seeing as we are linked with him thought I'd watch him, never noticed him before as he doesn't do anything against us. But I watched all the youtube stuff and there was a noticeable lack of him beating his man. He was either running into space on the counter a la Babel or he'd get to the FB, check and cross with his right. Is he really that one dimensional I assumed he was some Messi type dribbling superstar, looks more like a pacy Beckham to me.

Aye, he's good and would be an improvement to our squad but I think some people may be over rating him slightly.

That's him, he looks threatening at times but like a prematurely ejaculating rapist, soon slinks off. Johnny Barnes mark 2 he is not. A terribly overated player, not yet worth what Villa paid for him. Pennant is better.

Not fair comparing him to Barnes.

Also wouldn't be a bad thing if he was Beckham with pace.

Pennant is definately not better.

He's got lots of attributes going for him - pace, skill, good cross, he can beat a player and he'd be better than Riera.

Let's remember he's right footed mainly and can play on the right and left.

That's him, he looks threatening at times but like a prematurely ejaculating rapist, soon slinks off. Johnny Barnes mark 2 he is not. A terribly overated player, not yet worth what Villa paid for him. Pennant is better.

I take it you mean better at being an old fashioned type winger.

Interesting I don't see Young adding anything a semi-decent full back wouldn't add so why pay winger prices?

I'm sure we won't be signing him unless Alonso goes, Martin Oneil will be talking up his price, Rafa seems destined to sell Alonso and give the money to Villa and I can never shake off the feeling it might happen.

Pennant is better, his England Under 21 record is better, he has played in a Euro cup final and beasted Ac Milan at times. Ashley has never done better than reach Downing's sort of level which is slightly above average shying out of any games against half decent opposition. I'd put him just above Darius Vassel and behind Garth Crooks in the all time greats list.

I take it you mean better at being an old fashioned type winger.

Interesting I don't see Young adding anything a semi-decent full back wouldn't add so why pay winger prices?

How many assists do top full backs get? Very few looking at Clichy, Cole, Aurelio and Evra.

Young gets loads of assists, can beat players, works hard in defense, helps us with the quota, can play left or right, has a great set piece delivery and with the added bonus of pissing off O'Neill, he's my first choice preference on the left, even ahead of Silva, as he's shown he can perform in this league.

How many assists do top full backs get? Very few looking at Clichy, Cole, Aurelio and Evra.

Young gets loads of assists, can beat players, works hard in defense, helps us with the quota, can play left or right, has a great set piece delivery and with the added bonus of pissing off O'Neill, he's my first choice preference on the left, even ahead of Silva, as he's shown he can perform in this league.

I was being disingenuous typically crap wingers who can't beat a man are converted to FBs. Anyway, Young had Carew, Laursen and Mellberg type players attacking his crosses!

His numbers are good but you wonder how much of that has come against teams that think they can trade blows with Villa. He'll be facing a different proposition here, as Robbie Keane found out, and if he can't beat a man regularly then you've got to be skeptical.

Like I say I can't find footage of him beating a man. He gets to the full back, stops, crosses with his right. What you are repeating is the hype I've heard, but when I've looked I can't see actual football that backs it up. It was the same in the england game he played at the end of the season.

I was being disingenuous typically crap wingers who can't beat a man are converted to FBs. Anyway, Young had Carew, Laursen and Mellberg type players attacking his crosses!

His numbers are good but you wonder how much of that has come against teams that think they can trade blows with Villa. He'll be facing a different proposition here, as Robbie Keane found out, and if he can't beat a man regularly then you've got to be skeptical.

Like I say I can't find footage of him beating a man. He gets to the full back, stops, crosses with his right. What you are repeating is the hype I've heard, but when I've looked I can't see actual football that backs it up. It was the same in the england game he played at the end of the season.

Well he is right footed, so most of the time he will cut back onto his right foot. But unlike Babel he has a final ball when he does this. When Gerrard plays for England he mains looks to cut inside as well.

Young however isn't predictable as he can use his left foot and doesn't always cut inside (unlike Babel).

Who would you prefer to see? Are we going to be happy with anyone?

Young ticks most boxes and surounded by better players he might thrive.

You can't compare him to Keane, as that is ridiculously unfair.

Where's the Young link come from? Is it just because O'Neill signed Downing (who's injured for the first couple of months of the season)? If so, I reckon he'll either switch Young to the right or play him up front. Can't see this happening - and certainly not at a decent price. They'd want pushing £30m for an English player of his age with a lot of potential.

Where's the Young link come from? Is it just because O'Neill signed Downing (who's injured for the first couple of months of the season)? If so, I reckon he'll either switch Young to the right or play him up front. Can't see this happening - and certainly not at a decent price. They'd want pushing £30m for an English player of his age with a lot of potential.

Bascombe in the NOTW.

Bascombe in the NOTW.

Yeah, thanks mate - just found it in the transfer thread after reading this. Well it's an interesting one, isn't it? I'd still be very surprised because, as has been said already, he's young and English, and therefore expensive, and O'Neill will probably want to avoid doing business with us.

Yeah, thanks mate - just found it in the transfer thread after reading this. Well it's an interesting one, isn't it? I'd still be very surprised because, as has been said already, he's young and English, and therefore expensive, and O'Neill will probably want to avoid doing business with us.

Not unexpected really is it after them signing Downing.. They've now got 3 wingers to cover 2 positions and for the team that suffered most from not having a squad last year sounds like reasonable business doesn't it. The last thing they are going to be doing is getting rid of Young and ending up back at square 1, well back beyond square 1 seeing as how Downing won't be ready till after the season starts. It's obviously an investment with a long term perspective, getting rid of Young doesn't fit that scenario, so it's a non-starter for me.

Not unexpected really is it after them signing Downing.. They've now got 3 wingers to cover 2 positions and for the team that suffered most from not having a squad last year sounds like reasonable business doesn't it. The last thing they are going to be doing is getting rid of Young and ending up back at square 1, well back beyond square 1 seeing as how Downing won't be ready till after the season starts. It's obviously an investment with a long term perspective, getting rid of Young doesn't fit that scenario, so it's a non-starter for me.

I think Young could play up front for Villa. He's certainly got the pace and a half-decent touch to approximate a Torres-type role, if not the all-round class and eye for goal.

I think Young could play up front for Villa. He's certainly got the pace and a half-decent touch to approximate a Torres-type role, if not the all-round class and eye for goal.

They've certainly got options now, they are one of the few teams that could play a proper 442, 4231, 433 and have decent cover on the bench.

You are correct. Young isn't a dazzling dribbler that beats his man, he is a reasonably fast right footed left winger. You culd say he is a Pires but he doesn't have the skill or the scoring prowess of a Pires either. He is worth about £12m max IMO.