You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

MCPARLAND OUTLINES ACADEMY DIRECTION

Newly appointed Academy director Frank McParland outlines some of the changes he is overseeing as a new and exciting era begins down in Kirkby:

There has been much speculation recently on the future direction of the Academy.

I was asked by Rafa Benitez to conduct a strategic review of the Academy earlier this year. The conclusions of that review have been fully accepted and agreed by Rafa and his technical team and will now be implemented under my direction. I will continue to report directly to Rafa.

Clearly, there are going to be changes in both personnel and the way we do things at the Academy, but uppermost in our minds is need to provide the best possible environment for the future development of all our young footballers.

It has been decided that separate branding for the Academy will no longer be used - including the sign on top of our building. The Academy is an integral part of the club and will now be badged accordingly. It has a hugely important part to play in the future success of Liverpool FC and the change reflects that fact.

There will be much closer liaison between Melwood and the Academy, and Rafa himself has been hugely supportive of the direction in which we want to move forward.

We will examine every part of the Academy's operation and will be looking to make improvements not just in the coaching set-up, but also in areas such as medical, physio and fitness work. One new initiative will see the appointment of a head of sports science, who will tailor specific programmes for individual age groups to help them progress more quickly.

We will also assess the current facilities and where necessary invest in upgrading these. We have already committed to renewing both of the astro-turf pitches and work on this project will begin shortly.

I spoke before of changes in the staffing structure and our first appointment has been Jose Segura, who took up his role as Academy technical manager on June 1.

Jose brings huge experience to the role, having worked at Barcelona for both their youth system and Barca B team, where he helped develop world class players such as Andres Iniesta, Gerard Pique, Victor Valdes, Bojan Krkic, Mikel Arteta and Cesc Fabregas.

He has also had great success in Greece, at both AEK Athens and later as manager at Olympiakos where he led the side to a Greek League and Cup double. Jose is a great appointment and the first of several key positions which we need to fill.

Work continues to identify the best possible people to get the Academy working properly again and producing players that can progress through to the first team. I hope to be able to confirm other additions to our team within the next month.

Jose will bring with him experience and ideas from working in other countries and it's important going forward that we combine the best influences from abroad with what I see as the English mentality. This to me embodies passion, aggression and desire. We want players who are hungry to play football and achieve success with Liverpool. We need to return to the philosophy of passing and moving quickly. We have to develop a winning mentality in every one of our players.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was asked by Rafa Benitez to conduct a strategic review of the Academy earlier this year. The conclusions of that review have been fully accepted and agreed by Rafa and his technical team and will now be implemented under my direction. I will continue to report directly to Rafa.

He sacks people on a whim, you know, if they are English but, more tellingly, because he's a very, very nasty man.

I can't believe peopel are jumping through hoops over an article like that... it is VERY easy to post a positive article and make it sound like all is good and we have somehow unearthed some sort of world class formula. The only good news on that article is that we have a proven Academy Coach who has developed world class players, the downside is that the Academy Director has to report to the manager which is not how it is done at any other club in world football - not least at Barcelona where they are pretty damn good at it.

I can't believe peopel are jumping through hoops over an article like that... it is VERY easy to post a positive article and make it sound like all is good and we have somehow unearthed some sort of world class formula. The only good news on that article is that we have a proven Academy Coach who has developed world class players, the downside is that the Academy Director has to report to the manager which is not how it is done at any other club in world football - not least at Barcelona where they are pretty damn good at it.

Where exactly is that happening Rash? One person has said "that sounds promising" and that's it. Do you actually read threads before posting. i do wonder sometimes.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

I am Jacks total lack of surprise

You are the most hysterical tart ive ever known, are you always like this because your blood preassure must be through the roof

I am perplexed as to how Barcelona have suddenly become the figurehead for youth systems, it wasn't too long ago they were spending millions on Deco, Ronaldinio, Eto, etc what are we talking about Valdes, Puyol, Xabi, Iniesta and Scruffy?

I am perplexed as to how Barcelona have suddenly become the figurehead for youth systems, it wasn't too long ago they were spending millions on Deco, Ronaldinio, Eto, etc what are we talking about Valdes, Puyol, Xabi, Iniesta and Scruffy?

Have a read of that.

Guardiola's Barcelona are kings of the home-grown league | Mail Online

Good spot Woo... I liked this bit by Pep..

'There are many good players in youth systems around the world, but you need to have the bravery to give them a chance and that's what we do.'

The Cruyff adds this bit but you can't argue with it.

'We are showing the football world it's possible to win with honour, playing

attacking football and doing so with the core of the team home-grown.

'I don't buy the English model. There are very few English players in the big four teams.

'I love what Barca are doing. They are fulfilling the obligations of a great club: entertaining the world and doing so with local players.'

More or less agrees with what I said!!!

Pique was sold and then bought, that is not a youth product!

Basquiet, would have to had at least played a couple of seasons before we start using him as an example, same with the young lad Bojan.

As much as it pains me to say it, the benchmark is Man U, or even ourselves!

Good spot Woo... I liked this bit by Pep..

'There are many good players in youth systems around the world, but you need to have the bravery to give them a chance and that's what we do.'

The Cruyff adds this bit but you can't argue with it.

'We are showing the football world it's possible to win with honour, playing

attacking football and doing so with the core of the team home-grown.

'I don't buy the English model. There are very few English players in the big four teams.

'I love what Barca are doing. They are fulfilling the obligations of a great club: entertaining the world and doing so with local players.'

I would argue with it. On top of the fact that the English youth system is in disarray and has been for some time in comparison to Spain, I think Barcelona have a slight numerical advantage though in terms of playing "local" players.

Catalunya has a population of around 7 million, Merseyside has 1.4 mil.