You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Everton & Manchester United to wear black armbands in semi final

ottawa_lfc

Fair play to them, I say.

Liverpool Echo.co.uk - News - Liverpool Local News - Everton FC semi-final players to wear armbands in honour of Hillsborough victims

PLAYERS from Everton and Manchester United will wear black armbands during their FA Cup semi-final clash in tribute to the victims of the Hillsborough disaster.

They will make the gesture during their Wembley cup tie on April 19.

The ECHO understands the Arsenal and Chelsea cup tie on April 18 will also mark the occasion in the same way.

At the same time, city leaders are in talks with their counterparts at Nottingham and Sheffield councils to try and set up an inter-city schools football competition in memory of those who died in 1989.

The semi-final tie between Liverpool and Nottingham Forest was abandoned minutes after kick-off when overcrowding at the Leppings Lane end led to the death of 96 fans.

Everton spokesman Ian Ross said: “It would be fitting and right to mark the event in this way in light of the game falling on the 20th anniversary.

“It was a tragedy which touched both sides of the city.”

The semi-final armband tribute coincides with a number of other high-profile events taking place around the city to mark the anniversary.

The Anglican cathedral’s bells will peel at 3.06pm on April 15 – the exact time the game was abandoned.

A memorial recording of the Kop anthem Fields Of Anfield Road has also been recorded with an extra verse commemorating the tragedy.

Council opposition leader Cllr Joe Anderson said he wrote to the FA and the clubs to request they make the gesture.

He said: “It is important to mark the anniversary.

“There were Evertonians who lost family and friends on the day, and it is a matter not only of paying our respects but also reminding people justice has not yet been done for the 96.”

Margaret Aspinall, of the Hillsborough Family Support Group, said she was delighted to hear the two teams would be joining in the commemorations.

Her son James was 18 and at his first-ever away game when he lost his life.

She said: “We are very pleased. I believe this should be done at all games, because our loved ones lost their lives to make stadiums safer for us all.”

A council spokesman said: “We can confirm we are currently looking at instigating a tripartite memorial cup in memory of those who died.”

A spokesman for the FA confirmed the armband tribute would take place at the Everton and Manchester United game.

We won it 3 times, we won it 3 ti-i-imes. Without killing anyone, we won it 3 times!

Fuck those dirty Manc cunts.

Do fuck off.

They are attempting to mark the anniversary with a sign of respect and I for one think we should give them credit for that.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rooney refused to wear it though.

Guest The Chimp
Do fuck off.

They are attempting to mark the anniversary with a sign of respect and I for one think we should give them credit for that.

Wouldn't be surprised if Rooney refused to wear it though.

I'm taking the reference by Lario is in response to the United players singing that on the pitch after beating Chelsea. In which case, he does have a point.

I'm taking the reference by Lario is in response to the United players singing that on the pitch after beating Chelsea. In which case, he does have a point.

Was my point.

We don't need their fake sympathy 20 years down the line, and less than 12 months after singing that shit in Moscow.

Fair point

Was my point.

We don't need their fake sympathy 20 years down the line, and less than 12 months after singing that shit in Moscow.

Sorry lad. Totally agree.

Was my point.

Seriously? Is that true? I never knew that. What utterly fucking despicable cunts, if so.

Seriously? Is that true? I never knew that. What utterly fucking despicable cunts, if so.

Obviously I wasn't there myself, but it was mentioned on some (respectable) journo's webpage the day after.

Couldn't believe then, and still can't believe now, that nothing more was mad of it. :wallbutt:

Dont know about the players, but a manc STH called me when he got home the next day telling me how some fans had destroyed the atmosphere for the more decent fans by singing that shit thought the nights celebrations.

That and he was pissed off at how they do something great and still bring reference to us when it should have been time to bask in their win.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Dont know about the players, but a manc STH called me when he got home the next day telling me how some fans had destroyed the atmosphere for the more decent fans by singing that shit thought the nights celebrations.

That and he was pissed off at how they do something great and still bring reference to us when it should have been time to bask in their win.

Led by Rio Ferdinand and surprisingly Paul Scholes

And the one who objected to it, Mr Gary Neville

I say fair play to them. The only worries i would have would be that some cunts on both sides would ruin the minute silence and it only takes one. If they were to do that i would hope that the person involved would never be allowed into a football match ever again. RIP 96.

Twas the players that sang it on the night. Maybe the fans sang it too, but it's the players I've the gripe with.

Shocking and disgusting, that. Where were they meant to have been singing it? Pitch/changing rooms/coach/hotel/other?

Ferdinand has always particularly stood out as a cunt, but Scholes always came across as being alright, at least off the pitch. Glad to say I don't think there is anyone in our squad who would stoop as low as that, and long may it continue.

On the topic of the thread, though, it's neither Utd's players nor their fans who have decided to wear black armbands, it's the club, and from them I think it is a decent gesture to which we shouldn't take offence. But the players can eat shit for all I care.

Let down.

but on topic. Cunts.

Well obviously, I would, but i'm getting married in about 9 1/2 weeks, so it might not be the best idea in the world

But in regards to the other thing, yes, they are, massive ones.

Well obviously, I would, but i'm getting married in about 9 1/2 weeks, so it might not be the best idea in the world

But in regards to the other thing, yes, they are, massive ones.

Is that a reference to your planned marriage night shenanigans with some Kim Bassingeresque food-play?

Is that a reference to your planned marriage night shenanigans with some Kim Bassingeresque food-play?

Something like that, yeah

Led by Rio Ferdinand and surprisingly Paul Scholes

And the one who objected to it, Mr Gary Neville

:( I'm shocked by that. That's really disgusting stuff.

(Equally surprised by the Gary Neville revelation, but pleased to hear it. He goes up a smidgeon in my esteem.)

I simply cannot imagine a single one of our players singing ditties about Munich or doing aeroplane arms, which is obviously the equivalent. I mean, just try and picture it. The very idea is ridiculous.

I'm not sure if this was last season or before but didn't they have some other team do something similar to this and then everyone got offended because one of the players took his band off in rage at something that happened in the game? There was a huge uproar about him disrespecting the dead when the truth was he was just pissed off at some decision... possibly a sending off. For the life of me I can't remember I wish I could. Must be the time of night.

Oh and on the singing, I'd never heard that before. As if I could hate Ferdinand any more. Fucking rancid tool, I hope he dies a tortured death whenever he does.