You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we withdraw from the Falkland Islands?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Should we withdraw from the Falkland Islands?

• Yes. The islands do not belong to us and we should leave
    • No. The islands are part of the UK and should remain so forever

This is all a bit simplistic but the way I see it they're closer to Argentina than us so the islands are theirs.

I don't understand why 2,000 people can't be moved back here. It's small fry. Stick them in the Shetlands or something, it will be a little colder but they'll get by. Try it, they might like it.

If the roles were reversed and there was an Argentinian island next to us, and they started sending warships, would we passively accept it? Would we shite, we'd kick off and go all Modern Warfare 3 on them but the maps would be a bit better.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is all a bit simplistic but the way I see it they're closer to Argentina than us so the islands are theirs.

I don't understand why 2,000 people can't be moved back here. It's small fry. Stick them in the Shetlands or something, it will be a little colder but they'll get by. Try it, they might like it.

If the roles were reversed and there was an Argentinian island next to us, and they started sending warships, would we passively accept it? Would we shite, we'd kick off and go all Modern Warfare 3 on them but the maps would be a bit better.

The situation is pretty much the same as the Iraq and Afghanistan situations.

The politicians pretend its humanitarian but its all about the resources and their supply lines.

Thats fair enough I suppose,its just sickening to keep hearing them constantly lying about it.

The situation is pretty much the same as the Iraq and Afghanistan situations.

The politicians pretend its humanitarian but its all about the resources and their supply lines.

Thats fair enough I suppose,its just sickening to keep hearing them constantly lying about it.

Which is all bollocks anyway and not worth killing people over. Sit down, cut a deal, everyone's a winner. To paraphrase a marvellous Outkast anti-war song, don't get your dick out, Cameron, unless you're the one that's going to be using it.

Best give the channel islands to the French then and the Isle of Man to the Scots (as they obviously aren't part of the UK).

At least it will be something different to watch on the tele for a while and a conflict that is legal in the eyes of the UN.

Won't even be worth watching, it'll just be Prince Harry pressing the button on a Patriot missile system and shouting 'shall we have at them? I should say we shall!'

Best give the channel islands to the French then and the Isle of Man to the Scots (as they obviously aren't part of the UK).

The Channel Islands fall into two separate self-governing bailiwicks, the Bailiwick of Guernsey and the Bailiwick of Jersey. Both are British Crown Dependencies, and neither is part of the United Kingdom.

That's the kind of shit the Falklands needs to be. Self-governing, with the inhabitants getting to choose whether to have British or Argentinian heritage if they want - and give the Argies a bit of a taste of the mineral/oil/seabird poo.

Guest ShoePiss
The Channel Islands fall into two separate self-governing bailiwicks, the Bailiwick of Guernsey and the Bailiwick of Jersey. Both are British Crown Dependencies, and neither is part of the United Kingdom.

That's the kind of shit the Falklands needs to be. Self-governing, with the inhabitants getting to choose whether to have British or Argentinian heritage if they want - and give the Argies a bit of a taste of the mineral/oil/seabird poo.

Or we could just tell the Argentinians to fuck off.

Could still fuck em off to the French though.

The present situation is nothing like 1982. This Conservative government isn't on it's arse like Thatcher's. In 1982 Thatcher's deliberate inaction allowed an invasion. By sending a ship there the present government has reinforced the message that the Islands are defended and it acts as a deterrent to avoid conflict.

As for giving the islands up - I don't think so. Whether you agree with the way in which the events of 1982 took place the fact remains the population want to remain part of the UK and soldiers lost their lives re-taking and defending it.

There is more legitimacy in fighting to retain part of your sovereign territory than there ever was in a phony Bush-led war in Iraq, sold to the UK population on the back of a single-sourced intelligence dossier by a Labour government happy to allow misinformation about the range of battlefield chemical weapons to inform public opinion. At the time of going to war in Iraq over 60% of the public supported it. Now that's hoodwinking.

I wouldn't have a problem with that. Seems logical again in both cases.

Guest Pistonbroke

Nah, Australia belongs to the Aborigines, Jose Jones feels so strong about this that he's gonna move his fat arse off his sofa and give up his house to one of them.

The present situation is nothing like 1982. This Conservative government isn't on it's arse like Thatcher's. In 1982 Thatcher's deliberate inaction allowed an invasion. By sending a ship there the present government has reinforced the message that the Islands are defended and it acts as a deterrent to avoid conflict.

As for giving the islands up - I don't think so. Whether you agree with the way in which the events of 1982 took place the fact remains the population want to remain part of the UK and soldiers lost their lives re-taking and defending it.

There is more legitimacy in fighting to retain part of your sovereign territory than there ever was in a phony Bush-led war in Iraq, sold to the UK population on the back of a single-sourced intelligence dossier by a Labour government happy to allow misinformation about the range of battlefield chemical weapons to inform public opinion. At the time of going to war in Iraq over 60% of the public supported it. Now that's hoodwinking.

No its not as bad as that tory government in as much as they would lose an election if called tomorrow but if an election was called tomorrow they most likely still wouldnt win a majority either. So anything that detracts from the state of the economy is an excellent strategy from their point of view.

I wonder why the Argies chose this time? Apart from what Section said about cuts in the forces,them being stretched and smelling blood etc,they must have had some encouragement from another source,usually the US has some sort of hand in it,like an ambassador or military diplomat or something?

Its obvious that if there was a conflict that the UK would 'win' as the UK armed forces are up there with the best when left in charge of their own strategy and i'm sure the Argies know this and when they have a prosperous economy whats the point of jeopardising it even for the oil and mineral resources?

There are shenanigans afoot over there too i believe.