You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wee Football Trivia Question

The Celtic Way

Guest ShoePiss
Where we not meant to answer it ? Only reason I know it is because it was on the telly few weeks back.

What's the story there?

he spent some summers in county meath as an exchange student and won a minor (u18) medal with the royal county.

bet he was an ace gaelic player.

A minor medal isn't exactly an All Ireland medal now is it?

I won the Sunday League at U15's but I wouldn't say I have an Irish League medal.

When Xabi was a teenager he stayed with an Irish family on a student exchange thingy. Probably got it then.

I'm not an expert on Irish sports , but surely you have to be fairly good to win one of them things.

We had a french lad stay here for a week once & I took him to 5 a-side , but he never won an FA Cup medal or anything.

he was part of the meath team that won the all ireland at minor level.

whatever way u dress it up xabi won an all ireland medal.

some achievement too for a spanish lad,he probably didn't experience physicality like u get in gaelic in a sport before or since.

some achievement too for a spanish lad,he probably didn't experience physicality like u get in gaelic in a sport before or since.

What a load of bollox. Xabi played for Meath me hole. Where did you hear this?

No.

He didn't win an All Ireland medal for Meath, I done my research.

He won a Schools medal for the Irish college he was staying at.

No.

He didn't win an All Ireland medal for Meath, I done my research.

He won a Schools medal for the Irish college he was staying at.

Do they not have a rule that you have to play for a club in the county you can play for? He surely wouldn't have played for a club and been good enough to join the panel.

I googled Xabi Alonso/gaelic football & it came up with an article from the Sunday Mirror on 20/1/2008 stating that he spent a spell in Kells in his teens & along with some Spanish friends he 'dabbled' in Gaelic football.The programme which it was broadcast on ' Hector San UK on TG4 gave him a Meath GAA jersey which he was happy to wear.

I'm sure they would have mentioned any medals he had won n his time there.

ps Another one of the google results was UEFA.com , which diplomatically announces ' Xabi Alonso has revealed a love of the vaguely savage Irish sport of Gaelic football.

Guest The Big Green Bastard

Which German International played in the J-leaugue having won the world cup and finished runner-up twice?

To be fair , The article does suggest it was forced on him a bit by the presenter who was called Hector ( his surname looked like the Countdown letters board ).

I was being sarcastic mate and that Hector is an awful gobshite too.