You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Things you fuckers don't appreciate...

Josef Svejk

Yeah, if that's your thing, they have a lot of that kind of stuff. The local equivalent of alco-pops, basically...
The stuff I had was nothing like alcopops - it tasted of real fruit instead of sugar and was actually nice.

That chili vodka was absolutely fucking horendi however. The honey vodka was alright.

I dont drink anymore myself but all my mates are connoisseurs of guinness and they have informed me on a number of occassions that it is piss-water outside Ireland.

they are probably yet to realise that the big sweaty steaming shits that emerge from their arses the next day are the result of drinking this 'piss water'

Linda McCartney sausages? Marks and Spencer's food? Hell's teeth, I was engaged to a vegetarian for a couple of years and she wouldn't go near that shite, let alone me.

The only pre-made, specifically vegetarian thing I remember us going through a load of were vegetarian hot dogs - can't remember the brand unfortunately but they were an Israeli company iirc. Might be wrong about that though. Anyway they were fucking lush, tasted just like the real thing especially with fried onions and a twin stripe mustard/ketchup combo. Other than that, pretty much everything we ate was home cooked.

I was just thinking, as a child of the 70's and 80's I was brought up thinking that everyone that lived east of Berlin exisited on a diet of potatoes, black bread and vodka. Now you seem to be telling me that veg actually isn't available in the former Eastern Bloc states, or that it is but no-one including yourself knows how to cook with it. I'm now curious as to what the locals do eat?

Also, why is cheese hard to come by? I would have thought that cheese was a pretty universal food to be honest, are they not big on it over there, or do they just not make "proper" cheese? Or did you mean the specific cheese (presumably an Irish cheddar of some kind) that you posted a picture of, which I've never heard of tbh?

(Edit: Fuse bars were the shit.)

Err... Staples of an estonian diet are: Pork, Cheese(Estonian cheese but you can find all kinds), Potatos, Beets, yes... black bread, etc.

Sounds good to me. Apart from the staples, they give me indigestion.

Are Linda McCartney sausages made with real Linda McCartney?

I was just thinking, as a child of the 70's and 80's I was brought up thinking that everyone that lived east of Berlin exisited on a diet of potatoes, black bread and vodka. Now you seem to be telling me that veg actually isn't available in the former Eastern Bloc states, or that it is but no-one including yourself knows how to cook with it. I'm now curious as to what the locals do eat?

Also, why is cheese hard to come by? I would have thought that cheese was a pretty universal food to be honest, are they not big on it over there, or do they just not make "proper" cheese? Or did you mean the specific cheese (presumably an Irish cheddar of some kind) that you posted a picture of, which I've never heard of tbh?

There are plenty of vegetables here, but the quality is often poor and people over-cook them. I can cook, but finding good fresh herbs (especially coriander, which I love) is a problem, for example.

Hard cheese is readily available here. It's just flavourless. Dubliner is basically a good mature chedder. There's nothing like that here. However, they do have good soft cheeses, especially curd cheese...

There are plenty of vegetables here, but the quality is often poor and people over-cook them. I can cook, but finding good fresh herbs (especially coriander, which I love) is a problem, for example.

Hard cheese is readily available here. It's just flavourless. Dubliner is basically a good mature chedder. There's nothing like that here. However, they do have good soft cheeses, especially curd cheese...

Do you go to the expensive market beneath the mall, near the McDonalds? They have the best selection of cheeses in Tartu, from what I understand.

I know they have a few mature chedders there, to be honest.

I also found the produce there to be comparable to Englands... I found what I wanted and it was sound(but that might have been a good week).

I didn't see much options for herbs though, so you are spot on with that. Why not grow your own Coriander on the windowsill in your kitchen or something? It'd give you an excuse to stare at the hotties training in the gym.

I feel your pain, over-cooked vegetables are never good.

I guessed the cheese was a cheddar, thinking about it I suppose really good cheddar is one of those things that I don't appreciate as much as I should simply because it's so easy to get here. I'm going to think of your cheddar-free existence next time I have some and be sure to give it the appreciation it deserves.

It's funny the shit you miss when you're abroad. Seeing police officers who aren't asleep on duty, and learning to appreciate health and safety regulations when you're swimming in a pool only yards from a downed power line (which has been there for eight years) were things I noticed after returning from Greece.

I lived in Spain for a year. The first thing I did when I came home was head to Sayers for a corned beef pastie and a can of dandelion and burdock.

Heaven.