You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Does anyone think McCain or Obama...

Chris

are having a quiet moment to themselves now, and thinking, "What the fuck am I letting myself in for, here?"

Has there ever been a time where the office of President of the United States has been a less attractive proposition? Miracles are expected of the next president, when, with each passing day, the situation in that country becomes more and more grave.

The proverbial turning circle of the United States is now so massive that in eight years the best that either of these men can hope for is to begin facing the right way by the time they leave office.

Do you think either of them are just thinking they've bitten off a little more than they can chew. It's almost a no-win situation.

Things are so fucked up, what can one of them do to halt this slide? They'll inherit a crippled economy, likely by January to be the worst financial crisis in the history of the nation with at least 11 trillion dollar national deficit debt to most countries developed countries on earth, including foes, rising superpowers and those heavily relied on for energy. They'll inherit two un-winnable Wars, the prospect of any number of others greater than ever, and the spectre of Russia rearing it's ugly head in at any given moment. They'll inherit a broken and unjust healthcare system, with little chance of changing it. They'll inherit a desperate need to halt climate change, with very few folks that matter displaying any intention to even buy into global warming as scientific fact.

If I were one of them, I'd be starting to think that I'd made a fucking huge mistake with this candidacy lark.

All i think is it's a joke that it's even close. McCain is such a twat it shouldn't even be a debate who will get in.

Why wouldn't he look at Obama the other night? That was fucking ridiculous and if American's had any sense that alone (okay and the Bomb Iran singing, calling a kid a jerk etc) would make them realise he's a prize wanker. Palin as second in command too, fuck me, i'd rather have Bush still in the White House :D

to be honest Chris i don't think they are thinking that

I am sure that they are cognizant of the challenges that they will face, but you have to believe that the reason they are in this fight is because they think they can change something

now I think that you are correct to a degree in that the next president has little chance of turning it around in 8 years.

my hope however (and signs of this are good) are that Barack Obama will take the White House and make some decent strides in the next 4 years

I still have real doubts Obama will even get to the White house. It would be amazing if he did, but, I just can't see the neo-con junta allowing a black man in office, just can't see it.

And when he doesn't, it will kick off big time over there.

The Neo-Cons will have little effect short of sabotaging people's chances to vote (which they are sadly trying to do in Illinois and Michigan by trying to pass legislation that wont allow folks whose homes have been in foreclosure to vote)

McCain is a dead cert, unfortunately. I bet Obama breathes a massive sigh of relief when he loses, as the next President will have one hell of a job on his hands.

Is George W Bush's the worst administration of all time? It's surely up there. That country has gone downhill so fast it's unbelievable. The fact that he was elected for 2 terms is frightening. I bet Al Gore is laughing his tits off.

McCain is a dead cert, unfortunately. I bet Obama breathes a massive sigh of relief when he loses, as the next President will have one hell of a job on his hands.

Is George W Bush's the worst administration of all time? It's surely up there. That country has gone downhill so fast it's unbelievable. The fact that he was elected for 2 terms is frightening. I bet Al Gore is laughing his tits off.

Why do you say that?

These are the times that try men's souls.

225px-FDR_in_1933.jpg

this man inherited the great depression and had to steer his country through the second world war, while efecting a change in culture from an introverted and isolationist nation into a world superpower. He was one of the greatest leaders in history IMO, a crisis can either make you or break you, this applies to nations as well as individuals.

The USA could flounder, but just as likely is that it will be reborn, cleansed of some of the greed and corruption which has permeated its culture for so long.

Hard as it is to see now, maybe America might fall out of love with some of its questionable passtimes, it will no doubt be more restrained in its so-called war on terror, perhaps even - dare I say it - seeking to re-engage with the United Nations which it so helped to demasculate in 2003 by blatently refusing to adher to its resolutions.

It may also try and restrain the greed of the ruling class, which has dragged it to the edge of disaster.

Never right off the United States, it's still the most powerful force in the world and will be for at least the next fifty years, it's how it choses to wield that power which maye be affected by the crisis, and that could be a blessing for everyone.

Trouble is, the exact opposite of everything Section said there is just as likely.

And on the election, I will drink my own piss live on TV if Obama gets in. I just can't see it.

I think it depends wholly on Obama getting in.

The American public are prone to being 'moulded' following large collective shocks. They were effectively turned from an inward thinking to an outward thinking people by the Pearl Harbour attack, likewise they were maken malleable en mass to the authoritarian and warmongering efforts of George Bush by the September 11 attacks.

But, the collective shock of what's happening now could be used to steer them away - as a culture - from allowing money grabbing cunts to run riot, if it's handled by the democrats, it'd come naturally to them IMO.

I want Obama to get in simply because we have not a decent assassination attempt and subsequent conspiracy theory for decades. Reagan was the last one I remember.

Obama will surely be like a red rag to a bull over there.

"Cletus, get yer cock outta Britney and pack the banjo, we're goina DC"

Purely and simply because Americans will not elect a black President. Especially when the other choice is a white man. It is wrong but mark my words, that's what will happen.

Well current polls indicate otherwise and they don't include the college vote. Palin has fucked him up, he had a fair lead over Obama a few weeks ago and since then Obama is winning big time.