You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The bargain thread...

Kopite

I thought a bargains thread would be useful on here, like Remmie's DVD one.

...Anyway I dropped my Technics Hifi the other week whilst cleaning (SL-DV290 - 5 disc DVD multichanger), when I tried to watch a DVD/listen to a CD the system wouldn't play any discs. I tried to get it repaired only to find out it was "uneconomical to repair". Everything else works - radio, tape, amplifier but not the DVD/CD.

I had to claim on my insurance as it cost me over £400 4 years ago, ultimately with the settlement (and my excess) I was able to get one of these babies:

dav-is10_xl.jpg

Dixons/Currys/Comet are selling them for nearly £500, however I bought mine for £330 delivered from: Sony DAV-IS10 - Digital Direct

Don't forget Quidco.

Home & Bargain (the big stores anyway) have Tasco binoculars for £2.99 a pop, either 8x21 or 12x25. If you're in need of a pair, that price is an absolute steal, these aren't the poxy tat you normally see, but proper optics at a ludicrous price.

Home & Bargain (the big stores anyway) have Tasco binoculars for £2.99 a pop, either 8x21 or 12x25. If you're in need of a pair, that price is an absolute steal, these aren't the poxy tat you normally see, but proper optics at a ludicrous price.
Excellent news for stalkers everywhere.
  • Upvote 1

I want a blu ray version of one of those (home theater, surround sound whatsit). If anyone who knows about these things can recommend one, that would be nice.

Doesn't seem to be many available as far as I can tell.

I'd go for an AV receiver with HDMI inputs mate. That way you can put your sky/digibox or whatever through it and listen to the TV in 5 channel stereo. Get yourself a blu-ray player as a seperate which also plays DVDs (most do).

I can't be certain but I don't think Col's system allows you to put sky through it. Not cheap but these are some ideas;

SONY STRDG510-SIL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

YAMAHA NSP110 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

SONY BDPS300-BLK at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

Guest TK-421
Sounds like a plan - ta

Forgive my ignorance but wouldn't I need something that had scart too for my Sky + box? or do the older ones have the HDMI whatsit too?

Good tip from Drewy.

A decent AV Receiver will have HDMI 1.3a but also a variety of other inputs like S-Video, composite and so on for pre-HDMI gadgets. Not SCART, but there will be a way.

I've got this one:-

ONKYO TXSR605 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

It needs decent speakers, though, so the whole set up is stepping out of bargain territory.

Good tip from Drewy.

A decent AV Receiver will have HDMI 1.3a but also a variety of other inputs like S-Video, composite and so on for pre-HDMI gadgets. Not SCART, but there will be a way.

I've got this one:-

ONKYO TXSR605 at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

It needs decent speakers, though, so the whole set up is stepping out of bargain territory.

Not too worried about bargain stuff. I just imagined the AV geeks would head to the thread.

Would using S-video etc effect the picture quality on Sky?

Not too worried about bargain stuff. I just imagined the AV geeks would head to the thread.

Would using S-video etc effect the picture quality on Sky?

Not really, some people prefer S-video to Scart. I'm currently using Scart to S-video from Sky to my LCD until I get my Sky HD box.

The Lektropacks AV Guide - Audio Video Interconnects - Viewing the AV Interconnects

Moff to Richer Sounds in Leeds to get one tomorrow

This is the current favourite

ONKYO TXSR505-SIL at Richer Sounds - HI-FI Separates, Home Cinema, Speakers, MP3 DVD Portables, Plasma LCD, etc.

And a blu ray player

Will probably just my existing home cinema speakers until I see what's what

A day of fannying about with wires beckons.

Actually a PS3 might be the best bet. I am not a hardcore gamer but they seem to have as many features Blu Ray wise as equivalently priced players.

I mainly use my PS3 for Blu-Ray now. I bought Cloverfield from the US the other week. It was actually cheaper (£11) on Blu-Ray (delivered from Tower) than on regular Region 2 DVD.

So what the fuck is a bluetooth dongle adaptor then, £3.11 delivered?

You plug it into your PC/laptop and it provides Bluetooth compatibility. This means you can send files between any Bluetooth device (your phone) and computer.

Thanks , but is it any better than a usb lead?

It does much the same except you don't have to use a lead. Also if you change your phone to a different manufacturer you won't need a new lead to connect to your PC. I think's it much more convenient myself.

For £3 you really can't go wrong.