You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Loan signings

Neil G

How come we don't make more use of these? Especially if we're short of funds. If we got someone in this summer on a season-long loan and they were a success, then we wouldn't have to worry about stumping up the cash until next summer when we might be in a better situation financially. We could then take the money out of next summer's budget, safe in the knowledge that the player we're forking out for has actually got what it takes to play well in the Premier League. If we wanted to keep someone but couldn't afford them that'd be tough, but at least we'd have had their services for a year and they might even be central to us winning a trophy.

How many loan signings of top players can people think of that have taken place throughout Europe in recent years? Anelka, Crespo and Veron immediately spring to mind, and I'm pretty sure one of Juninho's spells at Boro was a loan. I won't count Mascherano and Tevez as that was a different and unique situation.

Any more? They don't have to involve an English side.

There's rarely any quality loan signings to be made mid season, isnt there? OK there have been a couple like klinsman and anelka but beyond that, I dont think we've missed any quality in not making a signing.

Agree with that, I'm thinking more about season-long loans.

loans are not loans you have to normally pay a fee and the wage so you could pay 1m fee and 2m in wages and have nothing at the end of it no asset etc

dont make sense to a club short of cash espesially when we have a dozen out on loan ourselves

loans are not loans you have to normally pay a fee and the wage so you could pay 1m fee and 2m in wages and have nothing at the end of it no asset etc

dont make sense to a club short of cash espesially when we have a dozen out on loan ourselves

But in that case all you've lost is the £1m fee if you don't take the player. You'd have to pay the wages anyway if you signed them permanently, so it would be just like selling a player on at a small loss after one season. Surely that's worth a punt if you think the player is good enough and you don't have enough money left over to sign another player permanently.

But in that case all you've lost is the £1m fee if you don't take the player. You'd have to pay the wages anyway if you signed them permanently, so it would be just like selling a player on at a small loss after one season. Surely that's worth a punt if you think the player is good enough and you don't have enough money left over to sign another player permanently.

Football is a buisness if we loan in a player we would have to agree a fee because if he shines for us then the fee will double if we agree a fee and then show him the door like Anelka then players wont come and clubs wont do loan deals with us

It isnt the way forward for us we arnt skint we just might not have the power in the market to compete with Man U and Chelsea but the chances of getting players on loan good enough to play for a top 4 side is very very small IMHO

Football is a buisness if we loan in a player we would have to agree a fee because if he shines for us then the fee will double if we agree a fee and then show him the door like Anelka then players wont come and clubs wont do loan deals with us

It isnt the way forward for us we arnt skint we just might not have the power in the market to compete with Man U and Chelsea but the chances of getting players on loan good enough to play for a top 4 side is very very small IMHO

I know a fee has to be agreed, but loan deals involve giving the loaning club the option of whether or not to buy. If the club taking the player is obliged to buy at the end of the loan spell then it's no different to a permanent signing, just with deferred payment. I don't think our reputation would be affected if we declined to take up a player or two permanently - players will always be up for trying their hand at Liverpool, and other clubs will always look for loan deals if it suits them.

Anyway that's kind of a side issue to what I'm thinking about, which is getting in players with a view to signing them permanently when we maybe don't have the money to pay for them right now.

I will leave the signing of players to Rafa if there where players available on loan who would have done then Rafa would have brought them in

You always have to rememeber that some players fit the bill on a footballing level, but might full well short of the level we expect in other areas.

That may be the reason we dont go for them ? doesnt mean we have to state those reasons in public, which most fans lose sight of when they say sign him or him cos he is a great player etc