You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

MTV EMA'S IN LIVERPOOL

RonDixon

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
Just heard on radio city MTV's Europe music awards are going to be held in liverpool in 2008

Should be good that

Until it gets cancelled at 3 weeks notice due to not having the correct safety certificate

Great news for the city that. I was in Edinburgh a few years back on work experience, at the same time as the EMAs. City was absolutely buzzing.

With MTV aswell, they will give the city some cracking publicity, the thing is advertised worldwide. Fantastic coup and well done to all involved.

Wonder if messrs Gillet and Hicks pulled any strings stateside to get this one?

The council will be creaming themselves over this but they are the biggest fuckin hypocrites in the city.

On the one hand they are jizzing over the world watching the big acts in our city but they will be slagging half the acts on the bill (Rappers) for encouraging young un's to use guns.

FUCKIN TWATS. That Bradley is a CUNT. Nearly as bad as Storey. How can you get sacked as leader of the council and then get another top job for the same organisation???

The council will be creaming themselves over this but they are the biggest fuckin hypocrites in the city.

On the one hand they are jizzing over the world watching the big acts in our city but they will be slagging half the acts on the bill (Rappers) for encouraging young un's to use guns.

FUCKIN TWATS. That Bradley is a CUNT. Nearly as bad as Storey. How can you get sacked as leader of the council and then get another top job for the same organisation???

And can I just add Pete Price onto that lists of cunts as well.

No. You'll find liberal politicians don't generally scapegoat artists for society's ills. Try Labour and Tories for that.

Storey wasn't sacked as leader; he resigned. The standards board found him guilty of disrepute for trying to oust the chief executive from his job. It had nothing to do with incompetence which seems to be the implication.

@ Kopite: You are right about Harborow, he is fucking useless and should have been sacked. Unfortunately our council leader doesn't have the balls.

The funny thing is that despite all the bad publicity, we are going to put on the best Capital of Culture ever.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
No. You'll find liberal politicians don't generally scapegoat artists for society's ills. Try Labour and Tories for that.

Storey wasn't sacked as leader; he resigned. The standards board found him guilty of disrepute for trying to oust the chief executive from his job. It had nothing to do with incompetence which seems to be the implication.

@ Kopite: You are right about Harborow, he is fucking useless and should have been sacked. Unfortunately our council leader doesn't have the balls.

The funny thing is that despite all the bad publicity, we are going to put on the best Capital of Culture ever.

Hows that then?

MTV is shite anyway.

Is there anything in the world of entertainment sadder than some trite music award?

The EMA has little connection with talent and ability. It is simply a promotional vehicle invented by a marketing guru, approved by an accountant and spoon-fed to the public by media-trendies in order to maximise corporate profits.

It’s a sad day for Liverpool, home of Lennon, Peel and Elvis Costello, when Scousers take pride in such a worthless calamity.

It might be a worthless calamity in some people's eyes but to others like me it shows that the city finally has a little bit of ambition and can attract an international event that will give the city exposure.

If the city wasn't able to get something like this I'm sure that there would be plenty of people moaning about Liverpool being small time and never being able to attract any major event like Councillors Cox & Evans in Reeves & Mortimer.

Is there anything in the world of entertainment sadder than some trite music award?

The EMA has little connection with talent and ability. It is simply a promotional vehicle invented by a marketing guru, approved by an accountant and spoon-fed to the public by media-trendies in order to maximise corporate profits.

It’s a sad day for Liverpool, home of Lennon, Peel and Elvis Costello, when Scousers take pride in such a worthless calamity.

Disagree there mate.

The EMAs is a very prestigious event , whether you like the music or not, and for Liverpool to get the event, IMO, is a great achievment for the city. Its events like this that Manchester has been able to attract for years, and it says something for us that we are now seen, internationaly, as attractive. For years there has been the stereotypical view of Liverpool being a run-down shit hole, and being able to attract events such as this puts out a great statement around the world. I dont particularly like the music myself, and i certainly wont be lining the streets to welcome the artists, but im proud that we have got it.

The event will bring thousands of visitors, hotels bars and restaurants will be full, and the city will be screened live around the world. Also, i think the awards show, and advertising is usually centrally themed on the host city, so the awards will definately have a scouse flavour to them. Real boost for the local economy.

Look at the Open in Hoylake, the amount of money generated, and good PR for the area, was fantastic.

Fantastic PR for the city and another step closer to wiping clear the old stereotypes.

Storey walked before he was pushed. That's a sacking to me.

I stand corrected on the Rap Music quote.

Your comment on it being the best culture year ever is bullshit. It will be a farce. They have said already that the MTV awards is the main attraction of the year....Fuckin brilliant. Oh and Macca sharing the same bill as Atomic Kitten at Anfield??? Do me a fucking favour.

Your comment on it being the best culture year ever is bullshit. It will be a farce. They have said already that the MTV awards is the main attraction of the year....Fuckin brilliant. Oh and Macca sharing the same bill as Atomic Kitten at Anfield??? Do me a fucking favour.

Ye of little faith. The MTV Awards is certainly the biggest event, but whether or not it will be the best is largely down to your personal tastes. Rest assured there will be something for everyone.

The main problem is the Culture Company has shot themselves in the foot a bit by installing Phil "I desperately want to be the elected Mayor of Liverpool so I'm bankrolling Liam Fogarty's pressure group" Redmond as its chairman, because it looks as though the inevitable success of Capital of Culture will be all down to the shaggy-haired one, rather than the people who have been working hard behind the scenes for years. It'll look like Professor Redmond is the one who has saved the day when the reality is it always was going to be the best ever Capital of Culture.

Anyway, let's wait and see whether the year is a dismal failure before we start writing it off as a farce, eh?

• 10 months later...