You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Owen to the Mancs?

The Chief

It's far harder stopping goals than it is scoring them Stu, you know that. That's why strikers cost as much as they do.

You only have to look at our current side for the proof - there's no-one better at stopping goals than us but we're far from the best team because we don't score enough.

I don't even know why this is a debate.

Who would you say was the Man of the Match in that cup final?

Owen was man of the match. He made telling contributions. He never won the game on his own though, it's a lazy phrase and it's wildly simplistic. Just like Gerrard never won the FA Cup Final for us because he got the goals. There are too many variables in there with saves, tackles, having a genetically altered robot in the side who kept going like The Terminator in extra-time etc.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Owen was man of the match. He made telling contributions. He never won the game on his own though, it's a lazy phrase and it's wildly simplistic. Just like Gerrard never won the FA Cup Final for us because he got the goals. There are too many variables in there with saves, tackles, having a genetically altered robot in the side who kept going like The Terminator in extra-time etc.

You're debating this with the wrong person then Stu because I never said he did win it on his own!

In fact I said, "Owen didn't win the cup on his own, but he was definitely the defining factor. If he hadn't been playing we would've lost the game."

Don't think there's too much wrong in that statement!

It was a good ball from Berger, but I don't think many people expected it to end in a goal.

I did. Racing (the 2001 version of) Owen against Lee Dixon from the half-way line is like a thoroughbred against an animal 2 mins away from becoming a horse sausage.

He did much more than just outpace Dixon - he beat Adams and Seaman too.

Adams? Didn't Owen outrun Dixon to come one on one with Seaman? Adams never got there, unless my memory is letting me down.

I'm not trying to detract anything from Owen's goal, I just find the claim we wouldn't have won without him extremely simplistic. That can be said of several of the players, if you subscribe to that line of thought. I don't, so for me it's a bizarre statement.

I don't think he was the defining factor, it's a far too complex game for that.

Adams? Didn't Owen outrun Dixon to come one on one with Seaman? Adams never got there, unless my memory is letting me down.

I'm not trying to detract anything from Owen's goal, I just find the claim we wouldn't have won without him extremely simplistic. That can be said of several of the players, if you subscribe to that line of thought. I don't, so for me it's a bizarre statement.

No, but when a team comes from behind to win 2-1 and one player scores both goals, only a complete divvy would argue that that player wasn't a "defining factor".

Adams came across if I remember correctly and Owen had to hit it on his left foot because of it. If Adams hadn't been there then he would definitely have stepped across onto his stronger side, so he had to negotiate Adams' threat.

You don't think he was the defining factor? He scored both goals in a game where we were outplayed and deserved nothing. Arsenal had plenty of chances and wasted loads of them (Henry mainly) whereas Owen had two and scored both.

I'd say that was defining.

And I'd say Henchoz clearing off the line with his arm and preventing us from going yet another goal down was an equally defining factor.

I don't think we'll get any further.

You could argue than all Henchoz' basketball antics did was to prevent a heavier defeat.

Go fuck yourself.

I suppose all of the headlines about Owen "virtuouso" performance "mugging" of Arsenal, and descriptions of Owen as "astonishing", "hero", "matchwinner" etc are just more examples of media hype, and in reality the reports should have read:

"Liverpool beat Arsenal with a poor team performance, an amazing handball frm Henchoz and one stunning save from Sander. And then two late goals from Owen, who was anonymous until the final seven minutes"

Am I getting my finals mixed up here, wasn't that in the game we won?

if owen hadn't scored we would have lost. nobody else was gonna score for us that day. heskey was rubbish, fowler (block for owens first aside) was shite. neither of them could have scored that second goal.

And I'd say Henchoz clearing off the line with his arm and preventing us from going yet another goal down was an equally defining factor.

I don't think we'll get any further.

Neither do I because you're clearly talking out of your arse!

I suppose all of the headlines about Owen "virtuouso" performance "mugging" of Arsenal, and descriptions of Owen as "astonishing", "hero", "matchwinner" etc are just more examples of media hype, and in reality the reports should have read:

"Liverpool beat Arsenal with a poor team performance, an amazing handball frm Henchoz and one stunning save from Sander. And then two late goals from Owen, who was anonymous until the final seven minutes"

thats it.

What a shock. Captain in talking bollocks sensation.

Owen was the main reason we won the cup that year. There was no other playersin our side who would have scored that second goal and the reason Berger played the pass is he'd seen the run that Owen had made. We were shite all game and Owen bailed us out.