You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Moscow 2008

If you think that getting to Athens is a nightmare/rip off, just imagine if we get to the Final next year. It's £450 for a flight normally, so treble that, you need a visa to get in the country, about £40 when I went, the bizzies are the most corrupt I've ever seen, nicking people's passports and trying to get bribes to not arrest you. You'd have to drive through bandit country to get there by road and the beer might be poisoned. UEFA don't half pick the best places to have the finals don't they?

The big four leagues (England, Italy, Spain, Germany) should have it something like four out of every six occasions, with the other two years in six going to either France/Holland plus the odd obscure place (Istanbul, Moscow).

Until some of the other nations start putting up teams that are regularly challenging to win it, that's the way it should be.

They would qualify as one of the obscure places in my 6 year system!

England

Spain

Italy

Germany

Holland/France

Obscure (Istanbul, Moscow, Cardiff etc.)

Portugal obscure? To be honest I'd have it as Holland/Portugal, mainly due to the fact that Paris getting the final every six years is a bit unfair. Same with Holland and Amsterdam (Although we'd all love to go there for it).

isnt going to the obscure places what makes it so special?

It is - for instance i'd love to have gone to some of the places my dad and uncle went to during the 60s, 70's & 80's, Reykjavik, Budapest, Tblisi, East Berlin & Trabsonspor but the final should be accesible to a lot of people and also be reasonably priced as most of the supporters will be dying to go.

The big four leagues (England, Italy, Spain, Germany) should have it something like four out of every six occasions, with the other two years in six going to either France/Holland plus the odd obscure place (Istanbul, Moscow).

Until some of the other nations start putting up teams that are regularly challenging to win it, that's the way it should be.

Or maybe as a federation that represents the whole continent they should be avoiding the idea of keeping everything centralised to the richer nations and spreading the wealth?

Ive been to Moscow and St. Petersburg and its a tad harsh to generalise on the whole place, people and everything else.

As for it being in mad places, aslong as the country has a rich tradition of loving the beautiful game I have no problem with it being far away. The greeks love there footie as do the Russians, everyone should have a go of it.

Ive been to Moscow and St. Petersburg and its a tad harsh to generalise on the whole place, people and everything else.

As for it being in mad places, aslong as the country has a rich tradition of loving the beautiful game I have no problem with it being far away. The greeks love there footie as do the Russians, everyone should have a go of it.

Did you go there with a load of people from england going for a footy match with "easy target" printed on them or just a holiday or work visit? It was fucking horrendous there in 2002 or whenever we went. They weren't isolated incidents either. Everywhere there were rip offs by the police, bars that told you to fuck off as soon as you walked in the door or just something somewhere that always had you on edge.

Apart from that though it was one of the best european aways ever!

I don't think it will be that bad to get to - in fact I wouldn't be against flying east a bit towards Poland or something and getting the train - I think Moscow mat be a little more accessable than Athens or Istanbul.

I said the other day that Russia is high on my list of places to visit and if we got to the final I may combine the two.

There's nothing wrong about Russia if you're not Russian and/or rich. As I'm none of the mentioned I might go too.

Did you go there with a load of people from england going for a footy match with "easy target" printed on them or just a holiday or work visit? It was fucking horrendous there in 2002 or whenever we went. They weren't isolated incidents either. Everywhere there were rip offs by the police, bars that told you to fuck off as soon as you walked in the door or just something somewhere that always had you on edge.

Apart from that though it was one of the best european aways ever!

I don't think it will be that bad to get to - in fact I wouldn't be against flying east a bit towards Poland or something and getting the train - I think Moscow mat be a little more accessable than Athens or Istanbul.

Fair enough but english footie fans on euro aways arent just targetted in Russia are they?