You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sky or cable...

dave u

Someone outline the pro's and cons for me. Leaving aside that sky are cunts and owned by Murdoch, what are the main differences?

I'm on cable, and I've lost SSN and Sky One, the two channels I watch more than any other. So is there any reason I shouldn't fuck cable off and get sky?

And which is cheaper?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TK-421
Someone outline the pro's and cons for me. Leaving aside that sky are cunts and owned by Murdoch, what are the main differences?

I'm on cable, and I've lost SSN and Sky One, the two channels I watch more than any other. So is there any reason I shouldn't fuck cable off and get sky?

And which is cheaper?

Sorry but I can't leave it aside, I've been thinking about this more and more since the row kicked off. I'm on cable too and am thinking about cancelling everything with Sky and boycotting them because, as you say, they're a shower of cunts. I would really miss the Spanish football and cricket coverage but think it could be a sacrifice worth making, I'm just really fed up with Sky. I can't bring myself to listen to Andy Gray when he's doing our game, the gloating and snide comments it's all just too much for me. I can't tune in to radio commentry because of the time delay.

It's like King Emlyn said the other day, Sky have an agenda against us and I don't know why, maybe because of the S*n boycott.

I find the live streams of games on the Net to be of satisfactory quality and in all likelihood will cancel my Sky Sports subscription at the end of month and not renew it.

Sky+, £42 per month all channels, with £40 one off payment internet at 2Mb broadband with 2Gb download limit.

Sky+ really is the fucking tits.

Hang on, I'm paying something like £95 a month now with cable. That includes free landline calls, but I don't really need that anyway.

You're telling me I can get what I have now for half the price, as well as having that sky + thing?

Sky+, £42 per month all channels, with £40 one off payment internet at 2Mb broadband with 2Gb download limit.

Sky+ really is the fucking tits.

Tempting that. We pay about £18 for the basic sky (no sport or movies) as we can;t get freeview or cable where we live. And I pay best of £20 a month to BT for t'internet. Is that a reduced short term thingy (ie first 6 months reduced) or is that the long term price ? Murdoch and sky are cunts like but its no contest really is it.

Anyone know what the BT tv thingy is going to be. They keep plugging it but never seen any real details of what it will be or how much it will cost ?

Sky broadband is 2Mb with 2Gb downloads for as long as you stay with sky. The only cost is a one off payment of 40 notes.

As a new subscriber I don't know how much they'll charge you for sky+ Dave, I think the boxes are about £100, well worth it tho'.

They also do telephone packages if you wanted that too.

Sky plus all the way. The channel selector is better than cable. Also you just press a green button and it records the programmes you want each time they come on. You can skip through adverts. We've got the 60GB version and you can get tons of stuff on that.

£42-43 a month plus Bulldog broadband at £25 8Mb unlimited inc phone. i'm sure there are better deals to be had.

Sky are launching something on freeview soon. Also Sentena now have the golf and 80 prem games + the SPL thats gonna be £10.99 a month.

It'll be interesting what sky do with prem plus. I've read Sentena is replacing that. BUT dunno whether or not sky are gonna shift any of their games into some kind of pay per view deal.

Personally I'd go Sky + with the biggest box you could afford. HD is an exta tenner a month but I'd wait a year or so on that.

Sky plus all the way. The channel selector is better than cable. Also you just press a green button and it records the programmes you want each time they come on. You can skip through adverts. We've got the 60GB version and you can get tons of stuff on that.

£42-43 a month plus Bulldog broadband at £25 8Mb unlimited inc phone. i'm sure there are better deals to be had.

Sky are launching something on freeview soon. Also Sentena now have the golf and 80 prem games + the SPL thats gonna be £10.99 a month.

It'll be interesting what sky do with prem plus. I've read Sentena is replacing that. BUT dunno whether or not sky are gonna shift any of their games into some kind of pay per view deal.

Personally I'd go Sky + with the biggest box you could afford. HD is an exta tenner a month but I'd wait a year or so on that.

The larger sky+ boxes are quite expensive.

Anyone with a screwdriver a PC and a new HDD can upgrade a standard box to 280Gb very easily.

The only thing you need to worry about in switching everything to sky is if you have a problem they are a nightmare i have Sky+ and i have my Internet and phone at BT so i never have a time where they are all fucked up at the same time it would be cheaper for me to go with Sky for everything but cost isnt the main thing when you are dealing with these and peace of mind is worth Pounds

I've got the cable version of Sky Plus. It's actually a better machine than Sky Plus, as it holds 80 hours, and you can record two channels and watch a third. And you can series link just as easily. It is infuriatingly slow to scroll through channels compared to Sky + though. If you call Virgin Retentions and threaten to leave because of SSN and Sky One they are giving amazing deals at the moment.

Sky +. It rules like a Barbarian Warrior King on a golden throne surrounded by slain enemies and naked wenches. There is also the matter of being able to choose from any of the 8 Champions League matches being played on any given night, via a press of the red button.

It's good.

Sky +. It rules like a Barbarian Warrior King on a golden throne surrounded by slain enemies and naked wenches. There is also the matter of being able to choose from any of the 8 Champions League matches being played on any given night, via a press of the red button.

It's good.

Very true. Football First is also much better if you have Sky+..

It's also a good tool for making a point to the Mrs. When she starts talking to you about something you aren't interested in, you can dramatically point the remote at the Sky box and pause whatever it is you're watching. It usually stops them from telling you about it. They've no pleasure in talking to you about things if you're not going to miss out on your telly programmes.

I do that, she goes fucking mental.

Do you sigh as you rewind so that you don't miss the last 3 seconds of the program?