You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Luis Garcia

Duncan Clench

I can't stand Garcia, but I really don't want to get into the debate about him. You either like him or you don't. The derby made my mind up on him. I do agree that he does produce that one bit of magic once in every 10 games but I can't see and feel affection for him that some people on here do. I can't remember thinking to myself after a game "Garcia was boss today!".

Jew

He makes things happen. At the moment he's the only creative spark we've got. Stevie's ideaof creativity at the mo is to bomb forward and until he settles down and regains his form it looks like Luis is all we got.

Pennant and Gonzalez appear to be outright wingers and nothing else.

IMO Gonzalez looks like a sprinter and nothing else. No skill, no football brain, no close control, pace to burn tho ;)

IMO Gonzalez looks like a sprinter and nothing else. No skill, no football brain, no close control, pace to burn tho ;)

Didn't you like the cheeky meg he did whilst on the floor that got their player booked? Nice bit of skill.

You have to use Garcia in the right games and at the right times to get the best out of him. In open games at home he can be a valuable asset because his mistakes are rarely all that costly and he is capable of producing match-winning moments. He's also useful coming off the bench in big games and in games away from home when gaps are beginning to appear in the opposition's defense. In most other games, though, he's a liability, and even when he's playing well he's capable of unforgivable moments of carelesness. No professional footballer at the top level should really be as sloppy in possession as he is. If he could eradicate that shit from his game he might be a top player, but as he is he's only good for supersub/luxury status in certain types of games.

He has excellent touch. Is a great crosser of the ball and is a surprisingly good header of the ball. What disappoints me about him is that he hasn't really beaten anyone with his pace yet. Last night everytime he tried the right full for pace he was beaten.

He has excellent touch. Is a great crosser of the ball and is a surprisingly good header of the ball. What disappoints me about him is that he hasn't really beaten anyone with his pace yet. Last night everytime he tried the right full for pace he was beaten.

Aye, from my couch looked like their RB was fast as hell

We beat Bordeaux, got three points and are likely to progress into the next round.

I'm happy about that.

Now at the risk of being shouted down, can I have a moan about Garcia please?!?

The guy infuriates me. How many times does he give the ball away in a game?! Why does he get picked on that 'off-chance' the he'll produce something 'special'? I haven't seen much of the 'special' for along time and I think he needs to be dropped. Hard.

He's a waste of a player. Any bit of magic is offset against woeful distribution, weak tackling, an inability to keep posession under a challenge. In the Galatasaray game it was his lack of defensive awareness that was exploited on numerous occasions, eventually leading to 2 goals and some skid-mark action in my keks for the last 20 minutes.

Love the guy, but can't stand him.

You can have a go at me for being negative in the wake of a good result. I don't care. This isn't knee-jerking, he's been playing badly for months.

I Totally agree with droping Garcia! he shouldnt be at the team now...he's a good player for the big games but thats it and we cant afford to waste time with him in our team for league matches, which are now becoming big games as we have a good chance of winning the league as we can beat Chelsea and Man U!! which we will on Sunday!!

I Totally agree with droping Garcia! he shouldnt be at the team now...he's a good player for the big games but thats it

He is indeed a big game player.

and we cant afford to waste time with him in our team for league matches, which are now becoming big games as we have a good chance of winning the league as we can beat Chelsea and Man U!! which we will on Sunday!!

Err, might wanna have a word with your other oppinion as they seem to clash.

You have to use Garcia in the right games and at the right times to get the best out of him. In open games at home he can be a valuable asset because his mistakes are rarely all that costly and he is capable of producing match-winning moments. He's also useful coming off the bench in big games and in games away from home when gaps are beginning to appear in the opposition's defense. In most other games, though, he's a liability, and even when he's playing well he's capable of unforgivable moments of carelesness. No professional footballer at the top level should really be as sloppy in possession as he is. If he could eradicate that shit from his game he might be a top player, but as he is he's only good for supersub/luxury status in certain types of games.

Spot on.

We beat Bordeaux, got three points and are likely to progress into the next round.

I'm happy about that.

Now at the risk of being shouted down, can I have a moan about Garcia please?!?

The guy infuriates me. How many times does he give the ball away in a game?! Why does he get picked on that 'off-chance' the he'll produce something 'special'? I haven't seen much of the 'special' for along time and I think he needs to be dropped. Hard.

He's a waste of a player. Any bit of magic is offset against woeful distribution, weak tackling, an inability to keep posession under a challenge. In the Galatasaray game it was his lack of defensive awareness that was exploited on numerous occasions, eventually leading to 2 goals and some skid-mark action in my keks for the last 20 minutes.

Love the guy, but can't stand him.

You can have a go at me for being negative in the wake of a good result. I don't care. This isn't knee-jerking, he's been playing badly for months.

I agree. I find it hard to see how a player like Garcia can score goals like the one against Juventus in the Champians League last season and then be such a wasteful player. The fact of the matter is he loses too much possesion. He has his times but his lack of strength, incapability of getin stuck in and off the ball running has made him less vocal on the pitch and this has been evident this season. Pennent should be on from the start he has good work ethic and unlike garcia puts the boot in and on sunday we need to show a bit of strength against the mancunian scum. Garcia has to improve however i find it hard to see he will. He has struggled in the pussy spanish league where spice boy becks plays and he is now struggling in the premiership. If he doesnt buck his ideas up he'll soon be goin down the route as Jimi 'tragic' traore.

I agree. I find it hard to see how a player like Garcia can score goals like the one against Juventus in the Champians League last season and then be such a wasteful player. The fact of the matter is he loses too much possesion. He has his times but his lack of strength, incapability of getin stuck in and off the ball running has made him less vocal on the pitch and this has been evident this season. Pennent should be on from the start he has good work ethic and unlike garcia puts the boot in and on sunday we need to show a bit of strength against the mancunian scum. Garcia has to improve however i find it hard to see he will. He has struggled in the pussy spanish league where spice boy becks plays and he is now struggling in the premiership. If he doesnt buck his ideas up he'll soon be goin down the route as Jimi 'tragic' traore.

O_o Djimi Traore...??!?!? WHAT?!?! Garcia has had some magic moments, plus his song is fucking ace. Good enough for me.

Guest FarmersBoy
The guy infuriates me. How many times does he give the ball away in a game?!

Probably no more often than many other players - I hae a feeling it's HOW rather than the number of times he gives it away that is what causes all the anger. For some reason, Carra, Sami, JAR or Finnan looking up and blootering it long in the air (and I'm not talking about last ditch clearances, here, but sometimes under no pressure, sometimes under a little), so it ends up with the opposition defence seems to be fine. Luis flicking it to a member of the opposition is deemed to be criminal.

Why does he get picked on that 'off-chance' the he'll produce something 'special'? I haven't seen much of the 'special' for along time and I think he needs to be dropped. Hard.

Off the top of my head, how about setting up Crouch against West Ham and Kuyt against Spurs? I thought both of those were pretty special and, more importantly, beyond just about anyone else in the squad the way they're all playing at the moment.

Something that frequently gets overlooked is that his natural position is second striker - would those frustrated amongst you get so irate if his flicks went wrong in that position? He barely ever gets to play there, instead, getting a slot on the right or left of midfield - from where he's clearly instructed to come inside sometimes and take up the position in the hole. That's naturally going to detract from his defensive work.

I'm not blind to his bad points; I just wish those who criticise would try to be a bit more objective rather than let the frustration cloud things so much - ignoring the good things he does (like those two asists, for example).

I'm not blind to his bad points; I just wish those who criticise would try to be a bit more objective rather than let the frustration cloud things so much - ignoring the good things he does (like those two asists, for example). [/qoute]

...and I'm not ignoring the good things he does just trying to point out that other players, even Pennant, have got a couple of assists and do more all-round for the team.

If he doesnt buck his ideas up he'll soon be goin down the route as Jimi 'tragic' traore.

Let's not get carried away eh?! I mean, he's having a bad go of it but I never meant this to happen when I started the thread. There's criticism and there's comparisons to Djimi... I think we all need to calm down before this gets out of hand!! ;)

Garcia actually has a fantastic ability to intercept passes, as he reads players movements and intentions extremely well. The sad thing is that he loses the ball as quickly as he intercepts it. He HAS managed to cut out the pointless bookings he picked up in his first season by lunging at anyone who robbed him of the ball. He probably realised that would've made him the dirtiest player in history measured in bookings if he had carried on in the same way.

A super-sub in my eyes, either to kill games off or get us back in it. I would be sad to see him go, as it's impossible to really dislike him.