You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

4 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Lehane's Small Mercies a bit meh. I actually almost binned it 2 or 3 hours into the audio book, because it struggles to get you care for any of the characters or the story. Three stars.

On a side note, most good reviews tend to like the subject matter, that the novel deals with racial tensions in '70s Boston, but I don't think I learned anything new here. Americans seem to be continuously surprised by the history of racism in their country, which is baffling.

On to Aussie crime now.

Not really into his “historical novels” World gone by, and the rest of the Coughlin series. Find them pretty boring.

41 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Lehane's Small Mercies a bit meh. I actually almost binned it 2 or 3 hours into the audio book, because it struggles to get you care for any of the characters or the story. Three stars.

On a side note, most good reviews tend to like the subject matter, that the novel deals with racial tensions in '70s Boston, but I don't think I learned anything new here. Americans seem to be continuously surprised by the history of racism in their country, which is baffling.

On to Aussie crime now.

I couldn't get into that one either.

11 hours ago, Edward. said:

Not really into his “historical novels” World gone by, and the rest of the Coughlin series. Find them pretty boring.

Completely agree. The Kenzie and Genaro novels had more legs. He’d obviously have had to resolve the issue between them, but it wasn’t insurmountable. 

On 12/01/2024 at 20:21, Red74 said:

Mate of mine recommended the Don Winslow Power of the dog trilogy before Xmas and I’ve got to admit, it’s far better than what he said it was. 

One of those books that have you making attention seeking yawns on the couch so she tells you to go to bed early so you can get back into it.

Onto part 3 now and it’s still keeping up the pace. Been checking a few of the areas mentioned and realised it’s based on real incidents but the names have been changed to protect the author.

10/10 brilliantly brutal  

Really struggling with book 3 of this. Just cannot get into it at all and the 1st 2 books were fantastic. 

Just finished the griselda series and I think my thoughts of seeing Sofia Vegara as Marisol can now be filed under not happening, 

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

The Force was magnificent. Pretty much The Shield in epic novel form. 

I don't think there is a better author at creating group dynamics, it almost feels like you're a part of it when you're reading his stuff. That's definitely his stand out quality for me.

• Upvote 1

DANCING IN THE GLORY OF MONSTERS. The Collapse of the Congo and the Great War of Africa

By Jason K. Stearns

Looks at the wars fought in the Congo c. 1996-2002 following the genocide in Rwanda.

An incredibly complicated situation, with most of DRC's neighbours involved at one point or another, and some throughout. The only constant being innocent people dying.

Book could have been much longer and more detailed, but I think the situation was so complex that might always be the case.

Well worth reading without doubt.

On 04/11/2023 at 09:15, Paulie Dangerously said:

Anyone who has a kid in, or approaching, Year 6 should be required to read The Final Year by Matt Goodfellow. 

Written entirely in verse it's an amazing POV account of the life and struggles of a council estate lad in his transformative years.

Can't remember the last time a book made me cry. 

Bought this for Turdsette last week based on your recommendation. She never normally reads books on the weekend but she started and finished it in two sittings on Saturday and Sunday. She loved it, pal. Nice one. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Bought this for Turdsette last week based on your recommendation. She never normally reads books on the weekend but she started and finished it in two sittings on Saturday and Sunday. She loved it, pal. Nice one. 

Made up mate. Reading to my current year 6 class who are enthralled.

• Upvote 1

On 17/01/2024 at 20:34, Paul said:

Second one was good. Then read the latest First Contact novel which was ok. Now trying the first Richard Osman. 

The Richard Osman was entertaining enough. Don’t feel the urge to keep going though. 

Now reading Jade City by Fonda Lee, the first in a trilogy about a kind of fantasy version of Hong Kong where a clan war between two rival gangs starts. What makes it fantasy is that they use jade to imbue them with enhanced fighting and perception abilities. I’m only about ten percent in but it’s already really good. 

The Dead Zone (Stephen King) - 8/10

I'm starting to work through most of King's stuff having only read The Stand, It, The Green Mile, Billy Summers and Fairytale. This was a great start, very enjoyable story and great characters. Baffled why Walken was chosen to play the lead in the movie though, bizarre casting.

The Devil All The Time - 8.5/10

Southern gothic at it's finest. I watched the film a few years ago and really liked it, so it set me up nicely for this. Full of weird, psychopathics and macabre stories. @NoelM great recommendation.

Blood Meridian next....

• Upvote 2

Quick tip for anyone (like me) that can zone out when reading/listening books and miss certain plot points. If you Wikipedia a book it generally has a concise summary of the plot/events of the book in order, so as long you don't read the entire summary it won't spoil anything. I find it very useful.

The Duel: Diefenbaker, Pearson, and The Making of Modern Canada

John Ibbitson

Two of Canada's post-WWII Prime Ministers, with differing visions, both of whom contributed substantially to creating the social democracy we currently enjoy--reforms to health care, pensions, immigration, trade policy, etc. 

It's a very good book, I enjoyed it, and though it will obviously have a limited audience, it's not a bad primer on how to create a fairly decent place to live.

• Upvote 1

On 09/02/2024 at 10:39, Elite said:

The Dead Zone (Stephen King) - 8/10

I'm starting to work through most of King's stuff having only read The Stand, It, The Green Mile, Billy Summers and Fairytale. This was a great start, very enjoyable story and great characters. Baffled why Walken was chosen to play the lead in the movie though, bizarre casting.

The Devil All The Time - 8.5/10

Southern gothic at it's finest. I watched the film a few years ago and really liked it, so it set me up nicely for this. Full of weird, psychopathics and macabre stories. @NoelM great recommendation.

Blood Meridian next....

This series of columns from ten years ago where a columnist was rereading King's books in order was really good. He only got as far as Rose Madder, but there are 33 entries here that are worth a look:

Rereading Stephen King | Books | The Guardian

• Upvote 3

On 09/02/2024 at 07:39, Paul said:

The Richard Osman was entertaining enough. Don’t feel the urge to keep going though. 

Now reading Jade City by Fonda Lee, the first in a trilogy about a kind of fantasy version of Hong Kong where a clan war between two rival gangs starts. What makes it fantasy is that they use jade to imbue them with enhanced fighting and perception abilities. I’m only about ten percent in but it’s already really good. 

Enjoyed Jade City without absolutely loving it. Now started one called The Book of Doors by Gareth Brown about a magic book that allows the bearer to access any door in the world from any other door.