You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Interesting stuff on money from Bascombe

Ritchi3

RAFA BENITEZ has commited his future to Liverpool after being guaranteed significant funds to rebuild his squad this summer.

Benitez held crunch talks with the Anfield board earlier this week, when he was convinced he would be provided with the resources he needs to challenge Chelsea for the Premiership in the seasons ahead.

A one-year-extension to his current deal has been widely reported but not yet signed. But it would be a symbolic gesture which eradicates Liverpool's genuine fears of losing their manager.

Both Inter Milan and Real Madrid made direct contract with Benitez's representative during the last month, and as late as last weekend the Anfield boss was keeping his options open until he spoke to the Anfield hierarchy.

Liverpool's guarantees to Benitez show how seriously the club considered the threat of losing Benitez, but how much work they've done behind the scenes in the last few weeks to ensure the manager will have the funds he requires.

Benitez and his coaching team have now been reassured about the future of the club and a summer of turmoil has been avoided.

Liverpool are not in a position to announce full details of their financial plans yet, but they confirmed at last month's AGM progress was being made in their pursuit of investment.

The ECHO understands the club is extremely close to securing the multi-million pound deal it needs in order to safeguard the future of the Stanley Park project and provide a transfer kitty for the manager.

They've been told a £10m grant from the North West Development Agency to regenerate the area around a new stadium will be withdrawn if Liverpool don't prove they have the private capital to pay for the £160m venue.

So happy if this is true - Bascombe usually gets it right, don`t think he would write this without any sustance.

New stadium, big transfer kitty, Rafa happy, me happy!

Bascombe is a very reliable source. Good news.

Hats off to Rafa though, tell your best jouno mate in spain to release "I'm off if no 30mil" rumours, ensure much debate ensues, get your kitty and a new deal! This man has his head screwed on and no mistake. Nice one Raf!

This was in the match report from Bascombe too - good stuff.

A week ago, Benitez looked around Anfield and worried if also-ran status would have to be the height of the club's ambition, not just this season, but for years to come.

When Rick Parry hands him a pen in the imminent future and says 'sign here', he'll not only eradicate those fears, but confirm stage two of the Rafalution is just a matter of weeks away.

Hats off to Rafa though, tell your best jouno mate in spain to release "I'm off if no 30mil" rumours, ensure much debate ensues, get your kitty and a new deal! This man has his head screwed on and no mistake. Nice one Raf!

This is ace. Bascombe is normally bang on.

Seriously things havent looked this good at Anfield since the end of the 2002 season

The future looks great both on and off the pitch

What can we moan about now?

Remember in the series 'V' when the aliens left Earth and everyone was out in the streets celebrating and ringing church bells? Thats what its like on here now, Rash and Brandon have fled - but they'll be back...

finalbattle91.jpg

Remember in the series 'V' when the aliens left Earth and everyone was out in the streets celebrating and ringing church bells? Thats what its like on here now, Rash and Brandon have fled - but they'll be back...

[/img]

Made me laugh that scene when they blatantly couldn't afford to film their own stuff so had to use footagefrom things like when India got independence and stuff!

Seriously things havent looked this good at Anfield since the end of the 2002 season

Rumour is that they are auctioning your famous leather jacket off.

Abramovich is offering £250m for it. ;)

Made me laugh that scene when they blatantly couldn't afford to film their own stuff so had to use footagefrom things like when India got independence and stuff!

Hahaha. They are showing it on Sci-Fi at the moment and there is a rumour they are remaking it with the original Donovan, Julie and Diana.

Saw a picture of Diana as she is now. I know she's 53 but she hasn't aged at all well.

ha ha, yeah to be fair though Bill Gates couldn't afford to film scenes like that, Tianamen square, times square, downing street, delhi all packed out with extras from Eastenders!

We could moan about how we're going to be held to ransom because selling clubs know we'll have a wad of cash?? :whistle:

Guest brendan

Yep, it's just what Paisley or Dalglish would have done!

Tell me, has Rafa, in your eyes anyway, EVER done ANYTHING wrong at all ever even once?

Hahaha. They are showing it on Sci-Fi at the moment and there is a rumour they are remaking it with the original Donovan, Julie and Diana.

Saw a picture of Diana as she is now. I know she's 53 but she hasn't aged at all well.

If they haven't got Michael Ironside it will be bunk. He's irreplaceable.