You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nunez and Gakpo

johnsusername

1 hour ago, Denny Crane said:

This is a great angle of the team goal. Just before Salahs beautifully weighted pass you can see Nunez has 3 players drawn to him. Gakpo looks an intelligent and efficient player. Experienced strikers would be ecastic with his passage of play in the goal. Should mention Bajcetic turn and drive. 

Not enough has been made of that goal I think. Six passes starting from Ali to Gakpo. Should be one of the goals of the season.

Edit: out of rep Denny.

I like both of them. Gakpo is a very clever player and can take the Firmino role. I sense a decent finisher in there too. When he gets used to the league and toughen up a bit, he will also give add a physical presence to the team. I am not worried at all.

As for Nunez, I can understand that some were sceptical as he still is quite raw, but for me his speed, attitude and the crazy/Suarez- vibes wipe out the potential weaknesses. He is not a bad finisher, and I am sure that the floodgates will open when he gets a couple of more goals. Speaking of finishing; Mo score regularly, but in every match he waste great chances and try shots so lumpy and weak that I despair, but he seldom gets critizised for this, while some people attack Nunez for every bad touch.

Yes, it was catastrophical misjudgement to not strengthen the midfield, but these two signings were - in theirselves - correct. Without them we would have played a lot of games with only Salah, Carvalho and Elliot available in attack.

• 2 weeks later...

From a United page:

Gakpo looked a well balanced and powerful footballer I thought. His style would have suited us perfectly I feel.

Would’ve been immense. Darwin too. He’s makes fantastic runs and is always where he needs to be. Just had trouble finishing but he seems to have found his form.

I'm still a little confused about the quality of the opposition.

On the match thread, I got the impression that United are somewhat better... now that we've twatted them 7-0... than they were back when we were mid-table and getting trashed by the likes of Wolves. 

Whatever the case, these two lads were excellent.

7 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

£35m and achievement-based add-ons for Gakpo is steadily beginning to look like the traditional highway robbery we've gotten to know and love over the last several years. 

That price in the year 2023 was always a steal. If you can get a good player of a good age for that kind of fee these days, you're laughing.

Still can't get my head around the mancs baulking at an assumed quoted price of £35m for Gakpo (32/76 between 2020/21 and 2021/22), but then looking to the next club in the Netherlands, seeing an overrated show-pony of a footballer (23/79 over the same period), being quoted a fee nearly 3x that amount and going "yeah fine."

Either they're stupid enough to do that, or the price PSV quoted the mancs was higher, because they know they're mugs. Either way it's lovely.

6 minutes ago, Manny said:

Still can't get my head around the mancs baulking at an assumed quoted price of £35m for Gakpo (32/76 between 2020/21 and 2021/22), but then looking to the next club in the Netherlands, seeing an overrated show-pony of a footballer (23/79 over the same period), being quoted a fee nearly 3x that amount and going "yeah fine."

Either they're stupid enough to do that, or the price PSV quoted the mancs was higher, because they know they're mugs. Either way it's lovely.

The mancs transfer strategy has also been a mixture of dick swinging in the Fergie days and throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks in the latter years.

• 11 months later...
On 04/02/2023 at 20:30, Kevin D said:

Gapko is quite handsome and Nunez has great hair so, on that basis alone, should be given more time.

A prerequisite for any new manager and DOF must be that they understand these pivotal data points.