You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

50 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

Or, another way of looking at it.  ZERO first 11 starters have left, and TWO first team starting midfielders have joined SO FAR.

But that depends if your glass is half full, or your sippy cup is half empty/

The constant snide comments about what you perceive as bed wetting, hysterical fannies and shite like the above 'sippy cup' blah blah blah is more tedious than any of the stuff you are moaning about.

Wind your neck in a bit - it is frigging relentless and it is boring now.

You can have your say without the constant name calling and being snide. It's boring, childish and the sort of shite that does sod all to help the discourse you are unhappy about be better.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Have to say I’m pretty concerned by how content we seem to have a tiny squad next year. We were stretched really thin last season at times and we seem determined to amplify the problem this coming season.

It’s pretty clear, where we are.

As it stands we could use another centre back, who can also cover left.

If Fabinho and Hendo leave we need to replace them with two quality midfielders.

Nah I'm not worried (as things stand) about the business we've done in midfield. I view it as being:

• Milner (aging but standard-setting professional squad player) out of the squad altogether - squad role filled by Henderson (less combative footballer but younger, and club captain)
  • Keita (mercurially talented but never available) out of the squad altogether - squad role filled by Thiago (more talented and generally slightly more available)
  • Henderson (right sided no10) out of first team regular status - replaced in the XI by Szoboszlai (younger and more suited to the role)
  • Thiago (left sided no10) out of first team regular status - replaced in the XI by Mac Allister (younger and more suited to the role)

I see all of those moves as pretty clear upgrades. Oxlade-Chamberlain has basically already been replaced by Harvey Elliott, who has his flaws, but generally has a track record of being available to play the actual game.

Obviously the Saudi bollocks has changed things a bit, and if Henderson and Fabinho both leave this summer then we've got a problem as I'd say we've got just about the right number of midfielders currently at the club, but that notwithstanding I'm not at all worried if we go into this season with the following options:

• Right sided 10 - Szoboszlai, Elliott, Henderson or new signing
  • Left sided 10 - Mac Allister, Jones, Thiago
  • DM - Fabinho or a new signing, Henderson or a new signing, Bajcetic, Thiago
  • Trent's hybrid role - Trent, perhaps Bajcetic or Bradley, depending on pre-season (and I suspect we'll counter any unavailability from Trent with a tweak to the formation)

The loss of Henderson isn't a particularly massive disaster from an on-the-pitch perspective (although his versatility is a useful possibility from the bench) but it's a problem from a leadership off-field perspective when combined with the departure of Milner. Fabinho going means we'll go from potentially needing a second DM understudy who could compete with / see off Bajcetic in a year or two after Fab leaves, to needing a senior DM who we can rely on to hit the ground running. But I think this Saudi interest is a bit of a curveball which we're having to adapt to on the fly, so I've had no problem with the approach we've taken thus far.

• Upvote 15

23 minutes ago, Manny said:

Nah I'm not worried (as things stand) about the business we've done in midfield. I view it as being:

• Milner (aging but standard-setting professional squad player) out of the squad altogether - squad role filled by Henderson (less combative footballer but younger, and club captain)
  • Keita (mercurially talented but never available) out of the squad altogether - squad role filled by Thiago (more talented and generally slightly more available)
  • Henderson (right sided no10) out of first team regular status - replaced in the XI by Szoboszlai (younger and more suited to the role)
  • Thiago (left sided no10) out of first team regular status - replaced in the XI by Mac Allister (younger and more suited to the role)

I see all of those moves as pretty clear upgrades. Oxlade-Chamberlain has basically already been replaced by Harvey Elliott, who has his flaws, but generally has a track record of being available to play the actual game.

Obviously the Saudi bollocks has changed things a bit, and if Henderson and Fabinho both leave this summer then we've got a problem as I'd say we've got just about the right number of midfielders currently at the club, but that notwithstanding I'm not at all worried if we go into this season with the following options:

• Right sided 10 - Szoboszlai, Elliott, Henderson or new signing
  • Left sided 10 - Mac Allister, Jones, Thiago
  • DM - Fabinho or a new signing, Henderson or a new signing, Bajcetic, Thiago
  • Trent's hybrid role - Trent, perhaps Bajcetic or Bradley, depending on pre-season (and I suspect we'll counter any unavailability from Trent with a tweak to the formation)

The loss of Henderson isn't a particularly massive disaster from an on-the-pitch perspective (although his versatility is a useful possibility from the bench) but it's a problem from a leadership off-field perspective when combined with the departure of Milner. Fabinho going means we'll go from potentially needing a second DM understudy who could compete with / see off Bajcetic in a year or two after Fab leaves, to needing a senior DM who we can rely on to hit the ground running. But I think this Saudi interest is a bit of a curveball which we're having to adapt to on the fly, so I've had no problem with the approach we've taken thus far.

Whilst not ideal, Gary did play as DM alongside Caicedo at Brighton last season. Something like 25% of time iirc. In which case whilst we should be looking at a DM, etc etc it’s possible Jones plays left 10, with Gary dropping back into the DM. 

The positive side of losing more leadership is we have just about the best guy available to carry the team through it in charge. He's also probably the one guy who could bring Henderson through this episode if he really wants to. And if he stays, it's because klopp wants him.

Anyway, one or two of them shifts the profile of our reqs more than the numbers for me. I wanted extra bodies on the basis that those two would be leaving eventually and have more faith in Jones and Elliot than many seem to. One good senior player is the minimum, if there's an opportunity for one more, then okay. But would still have a defender ahead in my priorities.

Goretzka being available for £35m being floated by sky Germany. If he was willing to fill that tactical role, he'd be a good pickup. Unless he's run into injury issues I don't know about (really haven't been paying attention, totally a 2/3 year old view of him)

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Even keeping Henderson and Fabinho I wanted a minimum of one more quality midfielder and a left sided centre back. I think most did.

Nah, some hysterical fannies wanted another midfielder. The boring cunts were happy with the two.

Centre back I think everyone agrees.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

The constant snide comments about what you perceive as bed wetting, hysterical fannies and shite like the above 'sippy cup' blah blah blah is more tedious than any of the stuff you are moaning about.

Wind your neck in a bit - it is frigging relentless and it is boring now.

You can have your say without the constant name calling and being snide. It's boring, childish and the sort of shite that does sod all to help the discourse you are unhappy about be better.

Good.  Now you're starting to see my side of it.  Because if it's relentless you are looking for then I'd suggest you go back over the pages and pages of hysterical shite in this thread since it started which has utterly ruined any possibility of normal conversation and/or discussion and incomings and outgoings.  Every single conversation is hijacked with shite about FSG or whatever.  It's impossible to just discuss transfers.  So yeah, I'll pack it in when they do.  

1 hour ago, BeefStroganoff said:

Its not 1986 lad.

It's also not the 1st of September, lad.

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

But it's not an 11 man game. It's a 25 man squad game. Or maybe we should get rid of more as we have too many players? 

There is every suggestion from every single journalist and people who speak with the club that there are more players to come.  There is zero suggestion that this is a fait accompli.  So stop acting like it is.  

Of the 11 players listed, 6 of them made zero appearances for Liverpool last season (5 of those players have zero appearances EVER).  So now we're down to 5.  Oxlade-Chamberlain. Carvalho, and Kieta can not be even considered as having been here last season.  The other two are Milner and Firmino.  Milner is the only one I'd have considered keeping for bit parts.  

Suggestions even at this stage, with players to be added to the squad, that we are somehow weaker are absurd.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Have to say I’m pretty concerned by how content we seem to have a tiny squad next year. We were stretched really thin last season at times and we seem determined to amplify the problem this coming season.

Being in the Europa means we can rest a lot of players mid week, unlike the Champions League where you don't have that option.

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

It’s pretty clear, where we are.

As it stands we could use another centre back, who can also cover left.

If Fabinho and Hendo leave we need to replace them with two quality midfielders.

There’s a lad, Funky Cold Medina at RC Lens *cough*

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

You should name him it’s Tentions Law!

It was the thick end of 50 years ago, around the time of the '74 World Cup. It stayed in my memory because Hoeness  & Beckenbauer spoke such good English and the English players, whose names are lost in the fog of time, sounded like uneducated morons. Having seen Slabhead interviewed, not much has changed over the last 50 years

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

Good.  Now you're starting to see my side of it.  Because if it's relentless you are looking for then I'd suggest you go back over the pages and pages of hysterical shite in this thread since it started which has utterly ruined any possibility of normal conversation and/or discussion and incomings and outgoings.  Every single conversation is hijacked with shite about FSG or whatever.  It's impossible to just discuss transfers.  So yeah, I'll pack it in when they do.  

All well and good - but i only see 1 "side" hurling insults and giving out dogs abuse/name calling and for me that is shite and not on.

Just does not feel right to me.

But I've had my say about it now.