You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Sunday 6th Nov 16:30 Tottenham vs. Liverpool

Lee909

Fuck me, that 2nd half was nervy never mind the last 15. Id have taken the draw before kick off so, Im fucking delighted with the win and 3 points.

We absolutely bossed the first half. Darwin was lively and unlucky not to get his name on the scoresheet. Mo scored both and even if Dier fucked up, Mo still had work to do. Might be a bit harsh on Darwin but he should take note how Mo just chipped the ball over the almost prone Lloris.

Absolutely world class finish by Mo because he didnt break his stride from getting past Dier to lifting the ball over the keeper. Im no coach but that's all you need do when the keeper is low to the ground. Fucking just smacking it along the ground gives the keeper a chance to block it with his arm, leg, body or face!

The first goal was well worked with a cross by Robbo, nice touch by Darwin to find Mo then leave the keeper rooted to the spot and just watch it end in the opposite corner of the net. Fantastic. Trent played a sublime cross field ball but several times, his defending was woeful sometimes losing Sessegnon completely. Robbo was full of energy all game. I actually thought Konate outshone Virgil today at the back.

I just wish I could feel the same about the 2nd half. It was obvious Spurs were going to  throw everything at us yet, the first 10 minutes, we seemed to have our heads stuck up our arses thinking the game was won. i wasnt surprised when they did score because you could see it coming the way we started slowly again. Nothing more showed this by Alli taking an age over a clearance then finding Kane was right on top of him so by the time he kicked it, the ball cannoned off Kane and could have gone anywhere.

All  that said, Alli was keeping Spurs out almost single handedly with his saves and collecting crosses. He might be disappointed not keeping a clean sheet but there was nothing he could do to keep Kane's shot out.

The last 15 was just backs to the wall defending and I think Jurgen should have been making changes before Spurs scored. Bobby was constantly giving the ball away in dangerous places as was Elliot who generally had a good game.

Spurs made a few desparate claims for pens. I thought Trent's shove in the 1st half could have been given, even if it would have been very harsh, on another day. Why do that and risk the ref or VAR giving it? Kane kicked Konate and claiming a pen was just laughable. Moura wanted a pen which was looked at by VAR apparently for Thiago's foot near his face.

Ox and Joe coming on in the last few moments sihnalled how desparate we were to defend the lead and to be honest, Id resigned myself to Spurs equalising because almost every clearance in the last 5 minutes seemed to either fall to them or, we'd have the ball and the players seemed stuck in 2 minds whether to hold onto it or leather it down the other end only to end up being robbed of the ball.

Not nice to watch but we held out.

Fuck the game against derby, it isnt a priority in my opinion. Play the kids and squad players. We need to make sure we hammer Southampton next Saturday who may be without a manager by then. Fucking arsenal and newcastle both won? Fuck me, lets hope they get some injuries at the world cup and fall away in the 2nd half of the season else even 4th is going to be a tough task.

MoTM is Mo although Alli ran him close.

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, HBenn said:

I don't really care how we played. I don't expect us to play that well currently, the midfield is knackered and we are crawling towards the World Cup. Who knows how many are playing with injuries, not fit. Jurgen has already said some of Fab's form was because he has not been able to be rested. How many others are in the same boat.

Lose today and top 4 is as good as done. Win next weekend and we could be 4 points behind with 6 weeks to get players fit to fly through the 2nd half. After the first few months of the season I would take that. 

Navigate 2 more games after the World Cup, strengthen in Jan and we could yet turn our season around. 

Missed our game in hand Win next weekend and results go out way and we could be 4 points off with a game in hand. 

Don't use that as a bloody excuse FSG to do fuck all in Jan!

Great to grind out an away win against a very good side.

No surprise that Konate, Nunez and Robertson were our most energetic. Two haven’t had the same attrition over the last few years of 60 game seasons, while Robbo has Tsimikas to take his place without any fall in quality. While we need a midfielder in this January, so many of our issues are clearly down to fatigue.

Great result, but that second half was so alarming I’m almost lost for words.

Spurs are a good team, but they didn’t really perform and I’d be shocked if we put more than 5 passes together in that second half.

It’s a positive that we can manage to get a result while playing so poorly, but this midfield is now finished, I don’t see how you can argue otherwise to be honest.

Nunez gave spurs a torrid time. Great to see. His pace is amazing at times he could have easily scored 3 today, love the way he just runs straight at the full back, that tucked inside left position looks great for him. Konate was also immense today as was Mo.

23 minutes ago, bizzle10 said:

Great win but that 2nd half shows why buying mobile midfielders is a priority in Jan it’s repeated so many times on this forum I just hope the club are all over it

Sadly the club seem to be about the only people on the planet who seem to think our midfield is ok....

Let's see how they act in Jan and in the Summer.

19 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

Souness defending Conte after that showing FFS. 

They couldn’t have made it any easier for us.

We finally showed a bit of heart there, thanks fuck.

I thought Nunez, Konate and Mo were great.

Agree with that.  Interesting to hear what Mo said about his attitude going into the game.  He was focused on 'making a difference'.  He did that alright.

I've just read the comments on here after the game and a lot of it is over the top, some of it total nonsense. Statistically we had more shots on target, more possession and better pass completion. We did tire in the 2nd half when they threw on a few forwards and had a go, after being booed off at half time. 

We are struggling for fitness. It's blatantly obvious. I wouldn't be surprised if Henderson Trent and Fabinho (and others) are back in form in late December. But even if they aren't, have a bit of respect for players that have brought trophies and joy to the club and us, while conducting themselves properly in that time. Ridiculous shit. 

Screenshot_20221106_192504.jpg

• Upvote 8

The posts in here are disgraceful really. We all know our current faults, we still got the win, at a place that's not easy to go to and we didn't win at last year. Lots of positives especially in terms of first half performance, the centre halves, and Nunez and Salah. Happy days

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, etho said:

The posts in here are disgraceful really. We all know our current faults, we still got the win, at a place that's not easy to go to and we didn't win at last year. Lots of positives especially in terms of first half performance, the centre halves, and Nunez and Salah. Happy days

Ali very good when he needed to be, too.

And no new injuries!

Much consistency regarding who our best performers today were. The classic game of two halves for us, showing when we’re good, we’re very very good, but when we’re bad…….

The break for the World Cup can’t come fast enough, and a win against Southampton is a must to just keep us on the coat tails of teams we should comfortably be finishing above.

Surely Jurgen has to have made some representation already to the owners regarding strengthening the squad in January? It’s become so obvious now that what we have fit is struggling to compete consistently at the level required to get us into the Champions League, that even Americans should understand something needs to be done?
However, it wouldn’t surprise anyone I suspect if nothing was done and the break is used to gather the troops.

That’s ok if every player comes back fit and rested from the World Cup, and every player then plays to their potential until the end of the season.

That would be a big gamble though.

That, I fear, is a gamble the club would be prepared to take as they have previous for doing exactly that.

As for Spurs, they aren’t half as good as some make them out to be, if they were they’d have won today.