You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2021 Africa Cup of Nations

JohnnyH

I played for coach that done is badges in Germany. He had us practicing penalties like Germans, you had to tell the keeper which way you were going. Within a few weeks we were all lashing them into the corner, keeper getting no where near them. What I'm trying to say is luck doesn't come into it, Egypt have played for penalties in every match in the confidence they will all score. The final is also going to penalties.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Given all their knock outs have gone to extra time, Mo has just played the equivalent of 4 games in 8 days.

All games in c.90d weather on shite pitches. 

If we didn’t need them back for the Inter game (we should be able to cope in the League) , I’d be giving them a week off. 

I wonder if the winner will get extra time off for any celebration? At least they won’t come back having had 15 pints in celebration. 

Now the cheeky fucker wants to push the final back a day as well.

6 hours ago, Arnaud said:

The star player always wants to take the fifth, but the best one should take the first. It’s a crucial one. 

Remember Terry saving himself for the fifth against United in Moscow (?) and slipping on his arse and hitting the post. It was a final I thought we couldn’t have a winner in until that happened.

6 hours ago, No2 said:

I played for coach that done is badges in Germany. He had us practicing penalties like Germans, you had to tell the keeper which way you were going. Within a few weeks we were all lashing them into the corner, keeper getting no where near them. 

Ha, that's pretty simple but ingenious.

25 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Remember Terry saving himself for the fifth against United in Moscow (?) and slipping on his arse and hitting the post. It was a final I thought we couldn’t have a winner in until that happened.

I wouldn’t, I couldn’t watch that match….

1 hour ago, TheHowieLama said:

Now the cheeky fucker wants to push the final back a day as well.

I just read that. What a jabroni.

Get on with it like my 6-a-side did in a tournament in like 1993 - won all our knock outs on penalties, including the undefeated  league winners at the time. If I could do that at 12, surely professionals can do it. 

FYI, I scored all my penalties. 

My comment about the standard of play at the AFCON rings true for basically every other AFCON I've seen, because I've said much the same in the past.

I think a lot of it is down to the lack of job security for coaches. They aren't given time to have a few teething troubles while they attempt to establish a progressive approach where they condense the defensive and forward lines and play with width. So what happens is that they have players sitting deep and forwards who can only play on the counter. This requires players with more physical rather than technical attributes because nobody ever lets the ball do all the work. With basically every side playing this way, you get games where neither side is able to dominate, and long passages of play where the ball is in the air and passes go astray. And that's before you get to the awful state of some of the pitches.

European coaches are also given more leeway than African ones, so the African ones often take the above to the extreme, playing to not lose instead of playing to win.

Of course all of this is a generalisation and there will be examples where the opposite holds true.

• Upvote 1

Interesting there wasnt any dissent here when Mo took the 5th penalty to win Egypt the game against Ivory Coast in the round of 16. But now some are annoyed he was waiting to be the 5th taker last night.

I dont there is any hard and fast rule to this penalty thing. Aboubakar is Cameroun's best penalty taker. He had scored 2 earlier in this tournament. He also scored their first in the penalty shootout last night. That didnt stop his teammates from shitting the bed and missing the subsequent three.

4 minutes ago, Supremolad said:

Interesting there wasnt any dissent here when Mo took the 5th penalty to win Egypt the game against Ivory Coast in the round of 16. But now some are annoyed he was waiting to be the 5th taker last night.

I dont there is any hard and fast rule to this penalty thing. Aboubakar is Cameroun's best penalty taker. He had scored 2 earlier in this tournament. He also scored their first in the penalty shootout last night. That didnt stop his teammates from shitting the bed and missing the subsequent three.

I wasn’t impressed then he took the 5th one - I just didn’t mention it that time. We haven’t played for ages so it’s just given us something to talk about - there isn’t any ‘dissent’. I love Mo and I’ve never criticised him before - I just said I was disappointed he did it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1