You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Energy Prices

Captain Howdy

7 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

I think the difference this time will be the utilities can just turn the gas supply off to domestic consumers. It won’t be a choice. 

But the suppliers aren’t the ones making the massive profits so why would they implement a complex system to switch off at certain usages, effectively stopping people buying their product?

Just now, Shooter in the Motor said:

But the suppliers aren’t the ones making the massive profits so why would they implement a complex system to switch off at certain usages, effectively stopping people buying their product?

I think they will be told to by the Government. Ministers learnt from Covid that they can control the population without much resistance or disobedience. Much cheaper to restrict gas consumption than pay everybody’s bills. 

47 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yeah, might have to give Usher a couple bucks to straighten that out. 

Sausage fingers defense??

I couldn't give a fuck about the neg, I'm just confused about why anyone would disagree.

Sausage fingers would make sense.

1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

I think they will be told to by the Government. Ministers learnt from Covid that they can control the population without much resistance or disobedience. Much cheaper to restrict gas consumption than pay everybody’s bills. 

Hmm, I think 'stay at home or wear masks while you're out because there's a potentially deadly virus going round' is a better 'sell' than 'don't use the gas or electricity you're paying through the nose for because we've lost control'.

There's no way this isn't going to result in mass civil disobedience.

As with the case of having turds in our water again and the prospect of worker rights being eroded, taking things away that people have already grown accustomed to having/not having will be virtually impossible.

Like with the abject failure of GB News and Piers Morgan's comeback, I'm constantly amazed at how little most commentators understand the national psyche.

1 hour ago, Mudface said:

Hmm, I think 'stay at home or wear masks while you're out because there's a potentially deadly virus going round' is a better 'sell' than 'don't use the gas or electricity you're paying through the nose for because we've lost control'.

The narrative will be we are at war with the Russians and you setting your thermostat to 25  is contributing to the cost of a T 14 tank. Simplistic but a grain of truth. 

9 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I think it will be like the hosepipe ban but for gas use. No central heating until the temperature drops below a specified point, no heating pools, maybe restrictions on when you can use the cooker etc. Having imposed draconian restrictions during Covid alongside Furlough payments  I think ministers have got a taste for these sort of twin track solutions. 

It's really going to annoy the pensioners and unemployed if they can't heat their pools.

The Tories are performing a social cull. If you’re of use to the government you will be ok. If you are of no use to the government, you will perish. 

Let the bodies pile high.

12 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

I can't see the government doing that with a general election not too far away. It won't be popular and will put them even further behind in the polls.

47 minutes ago, MegadriveMan said:

I can't see the government doing that with a general election not too far away. It won't be popular and will put them even further behind in the polls.

Behind who?

There is no opposition.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, MegadriveMan said:

I don’t think the Government will have a choice. Cutting gas consumption has got to be part of the answer alongside subsidies and probably interest free loans to consumers from the energy companies so you pay the exceptionally high 2022/23 bill over the next few years. I think restrictions on use will start with public buildings, leisure centres etc then extend pubs, hotels, shopping centres before finally domestic users early next year. 

It won’t be as bad as people are predicating. They’re doing that thing where they say it ‘could be 6.5 grand a year’ then it’ll be more like 4.5 grand and we’ll accept that and think we’ve got a deal. 
Like with diesel, 2 quid a few weeks ago. Now it’s more like 1.75 and nobody is moaning any more as it seems cheaper. Could this all be linked to the increase in electric cars? Losing money from fuel so bang the cost of leccy up.
Cunt country.