You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Hi forum, 

I don't use trains much, does anyone know tips on how to get the best fares weeks in advance of travel? 

If you buy them 12 weeks in advance, you can usually get them a wee bit cheaper.

I was talking to my train manager on the train back from London on Friday, he said as part of this new Great British rail thing the government have set up the ticketing systems will be changing from October. He didn't know if it was going to change type of tickets on offer etc. It might be something worth checking out for details if you're travelling after then. 

10 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I was talking to my train manager on the train back from London on Friday, he said as part of this new Great British rail thing the government have set up the ticketing systems will be changing from October. He didn't know if it was going to change type of tickets on offer etc. It might be something worth checking out for details if you're travelling after then. 

That’s what Remington was talking about above.

They now, by law, find the cheapest version of your journey, so if that’s splitting tickets it has to be done.

Not sure on the savings involved though.

13 hours ago, tokyojoe said:

Fixed it for you Mark.

Nah, not only are the fares astronomical but they only release them 12 weeks in advance or something.

My little bit of knowledge…if you book in a group of 3 or more you get a third off

3 hours ago, Bruce Spanner said:

That’s what Remington was talking about above.

They now, by law, find the cheapest version of your journey, so if that’s splitting tickets it has to be done.

Not sure on the savings involved though.

The fella gave me the impression that when this new system is out, there will be just a single source for buying tickets - or certainly a single source for pricing. He said all the platform ticket machines were being replaced by new ones for this new system too, so the operator aligned ones they have today will cease to exist. He also said lots of the stations (like Euston and lime st) are run by the railway operators and that's going to change too and they'll be run by Great British rail. 

• Upvote 1

The split ticketing I was talking about was a bit of an inside knowledge exploiting a strange pricing structure. In recent years the savings were significant enough for entire websites and companies to be founded on doing the split ticketing for you. Of course, like anything good the ticket operators got onto it and started closing the loops where the savings could be made. Ultimately you can still save some money on split ticketing, but the 50%+ discounts seem to be gone. I'm looking to go to Edniburgh in a few months and I suspect it'll be cheaper to fly than to get the train.