You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Succession

Bjornebye

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Which is why I had little sympathy for the character(s.) A real loss is the loss of a child or a father but they were so fucked up simply losing a position among a small number of duplicitous people of the same ilk was supposed to be a bigger loss. I was completely emotionless with the ending to be honest.

Why did you watch it for four seasons then?

Shiv has been repeatedly screwed over, presumably for not being a boy, as soon as the trio got back together and swore they would make the decisions together, Kendall, then Kendall and Roman started doing shit to push her out so she teamed up with matsson.  She made the right decision in the end too because none of them were fit to lead the company, as demonstrated by the little fighty tantrum at the end (and countless other incidents).  I feel like she'd just had enough and wants out of it all. Take the money and chill.

That may be because it's a completely alien mindset to me, being a billionaire and having to fight to work. Life is a constant struggle to not work for me so maybe I'm just seeing it as a what I would have done situation.

On 29/05/2023 at 20:34, Elite said:

Very good show from start to finish. I'm not as high on it as some others on here. It wouldn't make my top 10 shows of all time but definitely one of the best shows of the last few years.

I know he's a dipshit but I actually felt sorry for Kendall. He's going to spiral into the depths again now. Shiv the biggest cunt.

I agree.

Very good finale to a very good show, but one that is a few rungs below the best. It wouldn’t make my top 15 of all time, but I think they did as well as they could with what is a terrible and unsympathetic premise for a TV show.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Torvald Utne said:

Shiv has been repeatedly screwed over, presumably for not being a boy, as soon as the trio got back together and swore they would make the decisions together, Kendall, then Kendall and Roman started doing shit to push her out so she teamed up with matsson.  She made the right decision in the end too because none of them were fit to lead the company, as demonstrated by the little fighty tantrum at the end (and countless other incidents).  I feel like she'd just had enough and wants out of it all. Take the money and chill.

That may be because it's a completely alien mindset to me, being a billionaire and having to fight to work. Life is a constant struggle to not work for me so maybe I'm just seeing it as a what I would have done situation.

If she'd wanted out then she would have done the same as Roman, not sulkily sloped off into the car with her detested husband Tom, with a face on her like a million slapped twats.

2 minutes ago, Torvald Utne said:

She loves Tom, she's just messed up.

I think million slapped twats is just Sarah Snook's face at rest.

Nah, she thinks he's sooooooooo beneath her and has made it clear to him repeatedly, and in that final scene in the limo you could almost hear the piss boiling in her silken knickers.

7 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

The end scene with Kendall plodding forlornly, being trailed by his bodyguard, then sat staring into space really reminded me of the final scene in The Godfather part 2. Aesthetically but without the emotional heft.

I wonder if that was deliberate?

The final (ish) scene of Shiv and Tom being driven away in the back of a car reminded me of the final scene in ‘The Graduate’. A loveless couple avoiding eye contact.

I would watch this, but the Guardian are in full gushing Fleabag-mode, pumping out 3-4 articles a day at the moment and it's putting me off. Along with the inevitable listicles (best characters/ episodes/ one liners RANKED), these are some of the more tenuous links-

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2023/may/28/succession-syndrome-prevalent-among-wealthy-households-psychiatrists-warn

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/may/22/james-cleverly-use-of-private-jet-described-as-ludicrous-extravagance

Watched the first 3 series of this and felt that I’d watched the exact same storyline 3 years running. Not one character had advanced and neither had the plot. Kendal forced out, comes back, betrays them all, forced out, back again……

Got to the first ad break on season 4 and had to bin it. Kendal mumbling uh-huh’s, Roman saying the same replies to Shivs insults and Tom acting the quilt while some other rich bore tries to buy the company and Hannibal Lecter keeps saying fuck off.

Overrated shite

By the way, did Romans wife & kid ever make a return? They were never mentioned again after the early episodes

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Watched the first 3 series of this and felt that I’d watched the exact same storyline 3 years running. Not one character had advanced and neither had the plot. Kendal forced out, comes back, betrays them all, forced out, back again……

Got to the first ad break on season 4 and had to bin it. Kendal mumbling uh-huh’s, Roman saying the same replies to Shivs insults and Tom acting the quilt while some other rich bore tries to buy the company and Hannibal Lecter keeps saying fuck off.

Overrated shite

By the way, did Romans wife & kid ever make a return? They were never mentioned again after the early episodes

Nope, not once.

There is absolutely no way this is the greatest TV ever let alone even up there. I remember the clamour on here for that other shite Billions being the best TV show ever too.

This is nothing but another flash in the pan popularity contest that’ll be long forgotten soon. 

You can’t compare pot noodle TV like to the likes of The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sopranos etc

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Red74 said:

There is absolutely no way this is the greatest TV ever let alone even up there. I remember the clamour on here for that other shite Billions being the best TV show ever too.

This is nothing but another flash in the pan popularity contest that’ll be long forgotten soon. 

You can’t compare pot noodle TV like to the likes of The Wire, Breaking Bad, Sopranos etc

Billions is a good comparision i think. in fact i would say billions is a better show - or at least was across the first 3 or 4 seasons. 

15 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Nah, she thinks he's sooooooooo beneath her and has made it clear to him repeatedly, and in that final scene in the limo you could almost hear the piss boiling in her silken knickers.

She tried to get back with him.early on in the episode 

4 hours ago, Red74 said:

Breaking bad is one of the most over rated shows I've ever seen

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

On 30/05/2023 at 12:40, SasaS said:

The storytelling is masterful, this is why people like it so much. You start every episode with why should I care about these horrible entitled cunts and end it at the edge of your seat. The mastery is that, strange as it may sound, you can see elements of yourself in them, this is why you start caring for unlikable characters, just like with the Sopranos.

It is not so much a study of modern world, capitalism, media, Murdochs, it is all that, but it is primarily a very nuanced character study. It is great because it is not just crude, grotesque, it is not in your face look-how-horrible-the-super-rich are. It takes place at this level because of our (writers in general) fascination with rich and powerful. Essentially it is a Dallas or a Dynasty, only much much much better.

Excellent piece. 

I genuinely thought it was going to have a happyish ending when they were messing around in their mums. 

Said it before I've never known a show with dialogue like that before. 

Definitely up there with the greats and will watch it all again at some point

22 hours ago, Bjornebye said:

I don't know what the shitter fight was. Tom and Greg or Kendall and Rom.

I thought the scene when Kendall was trying to talk to Matsson and cunts kept interrupted was funny because it just wouldn't have happened to his dad. 

I'll have to re-watch season 4 but the two episodes that stand out for me across the series are Tom's stag-do in the underground club in NY and the episode on the yacht at the end of season 2, in-particular the ending with Kendall going in on his dad at that press conference. The scene when Roman sends his dick to his dad was superb as well. 

The 2 this season were the election one and the one before (the party one)

Thar scene were shiv and Tom were ripping into each other was phenomenal 

• Upvote 1

It's just a very long play, in that it relies almost totally on dialogue to tell the story.

But the dialogue is as good as it gets, however contrived.

Compared to most of the absolute junk on TV nowadays, it is a masterpiece.

Compared to "The Wire" or "The Sopranos" it just doesn't have the depth of story or scope of action.

A solid 7.5 of 10.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Each to their own then but if this show is what’s classed as having great dialogue then we’re fucked 

I agree. It wasn't the dialogue for me at all. It was all the double cross,backstabbing and greed that really elevated it. The characters were really good too. It was a very Shakesperean tale modernised and taken to the corporate boardrooms of the 21st century.