You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Firmino is a good player and does his best work for us when he plays #9. However, it's clear there's better #9's out there and if we were keen on winning things, we might go for one. But likely one would be expensive and we're not doing that, so we do the next best thing, stick with firmino in the hope he steps up or we gets some magic from Sturridge's muscles or finally the random cheap kid who might become a star.

But it's not just #9 we do that, we do it everywhere. We've stuck with the keeper, lovren, Moreno etc. Even our midfielders, let's be honest is there one you wouldn't look to upgrade (unless we're counting Coutinho as one)? It's clear to me our current ownership, aside from whatever cheat sheet they're looking to find with a money bollocks type of answer, also know the costs involved in buying and selling players and would prefer to do it as little as possible, unless it's a cheap in or high value exit. Get used to it, it's how the club is run and the same mediocrity acceptance that arsenal have run for years and fsg want to copy. When klopp joined the team needed in the main ripping up and starting again, but instead we've maybe made about 6 serious signings in 2 years. One of the appealing reasons to hire klopp was his willingness to work with the shit he's got. He's going to need to continue to do that, as the ownerships aspirations do not relate to on field success.

FSG have been in charge of us for seven years and it has been our worst decade since the 1950s.

Thing is, they would be happy for the next seven years to be like this.

No other club with 5 European cups would have stood for this, but since we forced Hicks and Gillet out, we have turned into a paper tiger.

Those Boston yacht owning bastards have done a job on us. I would never have predicted such a low for us in November 2010.

• Upvote 4

FSG have been in charge of us for seven years and it has been our worst decade since the 1950s.

No other club with 5 European cups would have stood for this, but since we forced Hicks and Gillet out, we have turned into a paper tiger.

Those Boston yacht owning bastards have done a job on us. I would never have predicted such a low for us in November 2010.

Milan have not been great either, although things may change with their new owners. But it's clear to anyone who wants to see it, fsg have little or no sporting interest in LFC and they're here to ride the TV/Internet revenues till they're bled dry before selling up.

Not a clue mate

I only heard about the finance thing on James Richardson new podcast the other day.

I think we should be all in on signing Africans and Brazilians anyway

Matip,Salah,Mane,Firmino,Coutinho. We have a good record of late.

Im still fully committed to no Ukrainians or Italians 

• Upvote 1

Fuck FSG the corporate wankers but you can't ignore the rise and continued rise of City and Chelsea in that time. Even United have lost domination and look at how much money they threw at replacing the Ferguson gap. Not competing at the top is forgivable as it's so hard to do so with the money those three have but letting Spurs surpass us and failing to capatilise on Arsenal being shit whilst teams like Southampton out manoeuvre us in tne transfer market is FSGs biggest failing.

• Upvote 3

Fuck FSG the corporate wankers but you can't ignore the rise and continued rise of City and Chelsea in that time. Even United have lost domination and look at how much money they threw at replacing the Ferguson gap. Not competing at the top is forgivable as it's so hard to do so with the money those three have but letting Spurs surpass us and failing to capatilise on Arsenal being shit whilst teams like Southampton out manoeuvre us in tne transfer market is FSGs biggest failing.

I was willing to tolerate the rise of oil superclub argument right up and until Wes Morgan and Leicester city won the league title by 10 points.

• Upvote 2

Leicester proved you can do it for one season, which obviously we could.

The money ensures City and Chelsea will always be in the top four and capable of keeping quality players, regularly competing in the CL (in theory), etc.

But there isn't anything stopping us building a team that can do enough over 38 games to win the league.

Well, other than some really shit individuals in charge of part of that process.

• Upvote 1

Leicester proved that once every nearly 30 years in premier league history a team can come from nowhere and win it.

I agree we could do the same to a much less shocking outcome but it's not a case of 'You can't blame oil rich clubs for Liverpools lack of success because Leicester pulled off arguably the biggest shock result in football'

Like i said, fuck FSG. But lets not judge them on an inability to pip City and Chelsea to league titles. Lets deal with getting blown away off the feild by fucking Arsenal, getting over taken on the feild by fucking Spurs and not being arsed about signing top level players in positions they cant see a big chance for profitable sell ons in.

There's a reason we keep signing attacking mids and not full backs, goalies and defensive mids.

Leicester proved that once every nearly 30 years in premier league history a team can come from nowhere and win it.

I agree we could do the same to a much less shocking outcome but it's not a case of 'You can't blame oil rich clubs for Liverpools lack of success because Leicester pulled off arguably the biggest shock result in football'

Like i said, fuck FSG. But lets not judge them on an inability to pip City and Chelsea to league titles. Lets deal with getting blown away off the feild by fucking Arsenal, getting over taken on the feild by fucking Spurs and not being arsed about signing top level players in positions they cant see a big chance for profitable sell ons in.

There's a reason we keep signing attacking mids and not full backs, goalies and defensive mids.

Mate, if you look back at the conversation my anger was not at being behind City and Chelsea, it was that we were no longer winning, and worse, even trying to win any trophy.

The 2010s has been the worst we have been since Shanks took over.

Leicester are a frame of reference, not for any long term success, but because they are so average and only had to be not shit to get the title.

Mate, if you look back at the conversation my anger was not at being behind City and Chelsea, it was that we were no longer winning, and worse, even trying to win any trophy.

The 2010s has been the worst we have been since Shanks took over.

Leicester are a frame of reference, not for any long term success, but because they are so average and only had to be not shit to get the title.

Fair point. I think we showed ourselves how easy it can be to flat track bully your way up the league. Unfortunately we will always carry a weight of expectation that means we need strong willed characters to succeed and such attributes usually come with either a top pedigree or more commonly experience. We gamble on the pedigree and completely neglect adding experience to the mix. I loved Kolo, that mad fucker thought we were gonna win the league all the time. He was well liked and had bags of character. Imagine having 2 or 3 top first team players with that character and leadership.

FSG are more interested in assembling a portfolio of players to sell than a successful team. A cracking business model but not one for us fans to get excited by. Aye, fuck 'um.

Harsh. If Salah and Firmino get 51 goals between them this season we will have a very good season.

I predict that we will get 85+ goals in the league this season if we do not get many more injuries to our forwards.

That's where the problem is. I wouldn't be at all surprised if Senegal play Mane twice and injure him again. However the chances of going injury free through the whole season is virtually zero.

Today's Twitter talk - Juve to offer £155m for Coutinho. Not having that. No way will an Italian club fork out a proper transfer fee.

Its probably like Barca's 120ml bid. 80odd up front and the tlrest on champions league/ballon dor winning clauses. Even then inly happen if they sold Dybala for more