You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2017 transfer window

Captain

It's a double edged sword. More recently we've achieved good fees for players sold from our bloated squad that we had little use for. That side of it is fine.

The other side of it, the high fees achieved for world class players we sold, sticks in the throat, as we could have had a team to win the league and stay up there regularly, rather than one or two flashes in the pan.

Hopefully Klopp builds something up. Early signs are positive.

Aside from Suarez who are you on about here?

I just went and looked through the list, he's the only player I wouldn't do over again from this period if you could choose.*  Maybe Mascherano, but he was already out the door by the time that summer of 2010 rolled around, so it's pretty hard to blame the club much.  

*Take that back, I wouldn't have sold Kuyt for a million either.  But I assume he wasn't in the group of world-class players you were talking about.

Aside from Suarez who are you on about here?

I just went and looked through the list, he's the only player I wouldn't do over again from this period if you could choose.*  Maybe Mascherano, but he was already out the door by the time that summer of 2010 rolled around, so it's pretty hard to blame the club much.  

*Take that back, I wouldn't have sold Kuyt for a million either.  But I assume he wasn't in the group of world-class players you were talking about.

I was mostly talking abut Suarez.

Sterling wasn't world class by any means, but as he started to make a name for himself here I thought he would go on to be world class, before he got too big for his boots and regressed.

Beyond that my memories of losing other world class players e.g. Torres, Alonso, might not quite be in the time frame we are talking about.

Still, I think we're starting to look good again, and Klopp is going to build us up.

I was mostly talking abut Suarez.

Sterling wasn't world class by any means, but as he started to make a name for himself here I thought he would go on to be world class, before he got too big for his boots and regressed.

Beyond that my memories of losing other world class players e.g. Torres, Alonso, might not quite be in the time frame we are talking about.

Still, I think we're starting to look good again, and Klopp is going to build us up.

Torres was bottom of the class by the time Chelsea bought him, 

25 a season striker?  We're on pace to score 95 league goals!

If he goes for anyone it will be Dahoud again, I suspect.  Maybe a youngster or two (another move for Coric, maybe?), but I think he's probably satisfied with how we're doing in terms of goalscoring.  

Oh, one more comes to mind - he might want to replace Sakho if he goes.  That could happen in January, I suppose.