You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

Sugar Ape

Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Should Corbyn remain as Labour leader?

11 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

Baddiel seems to be arguing trust anti semitism is the lefts equivalent of Tory Islamaphobia say.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the most horrendous examples of anti semitism was carried out by that well known Marxist,Adolf Hitler

I'm not saying it doesn't exist on the left,but to ignore right wing anti semitism is  extremely disingenuous 

That’s not what he’s saying.  Have you read the book, or watched the documentary? 

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Indeed that’s shameful, though 1) we shouldn’t be putting that all on Labour as it goes far beyond, and 2) we can talk about more than one thing at once. To bring up the Iraq war in a conversation about antisemitism, live on TV, might have been seen to be, erm, well, it’s ill advised. 

agreed but balls specifically stated that the period 15-19 was a shameful period.Thats not how I recall it.

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

That’s not what he’s saying.  Have you read the book, or watched the documentary? 

id rather watch paint dry to be honest

all I know is he seems to have a particular obsession with anti semitism on the left,and with a  person who even he concedes isnt a racist,than with the likes of Johnson and Farage who dont even hide it.

Just seems a bit strange tbh.   

5 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

agreed but balls specifically stated that the period 15-19 was a shameful period.Thats not how I recall it.

Fair enough, though I disagree; I thought it was pretty poor. Poor in response to antisemitism, poor at fighting elections, and a disjointed papery left behind. I also thought it was poor from a left wing perspective. 

Still, Balls was talking about antisemitism specifically and I personally think it was pretty shameful from that perspective. I really urge people to read the executive summary of the EHRC report if they think there’s nothing shameful about that period. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Fair enough, though I disagree; I thought it was pretty poor. Poor in response to antisemitism, poor at fighting elections, and a disjointed papery left behind. I also thought it was poor from a left wing perspective. 

Still, Balls was talking about antisemitism specifically and I personally think it was pretty shameful from that perspective. I really urge people to read the executive summary of the EHRC report if they think there’s nothing shameful about that period. 

im only speaking from an individual perspective and looking at the period overall.

at least upto the election in 2019,as a labour voter,that was the most positive id been that there could be real change under labour in a long time.

1 minute ago, Arniepie said:

im only speaking from an individual perspective and looking at the period overall.

at least upto the election in 2019,as a labour voter,that was the most positive id been that there could be real change under labour in a long time.

Again, that’s fair enough. He was talking about antisemitism though, and Labour in general. So coming at it from different angles. 

21 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Well, it wasn’t Balls that said there wasn’t, it was the question, so it’s hard for him to be wrong about that. Balls said there had been antisemitism in the left for 100 years. Balls stated that the party and membership changed substantially in the years since 2015 and was still in special measures. That’s all correct.

He clearly means a member of the Parliamentary Labour Party. I’ve no doubt the direct debit for his subs is still rolling. 

If certainly be interested in seeing information about this. Especially the attitudes of members before Corbyn joined vs after and any analysis of why people stopped being openly antisemitic in interviews when it became a public problem. That said, it doesn’t really have much to do with ol’ Ballsy. He might not have replied in the way you wanted but he certainly didn’t say things untrue. I can’t speak for the rest of the interview of course. 

Desperately disingenuous.

For one thing, "Yes, he said he's not a member of the Labour Party, but he meant something else" is not the kind of argument you'd accept from anyone else.

Balls is clearly implying that a load of Lefty racists came into the party to support Corbyn and now that they've gone the party is squeaky clean. Evidence suggests that none of that is true.

4 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Just seen this on twitter.

Personally I think ,Labour need to to move on but seeing as it constantly gets dug up

Fo6PcKnWIAIJWMA.jpeg.jpg

Ironically, I suspect that a positive side-effect of the whole fucking mess is that those sort of attitudes were openly called out as anti-Semitic and (some) people who previously would have unthinkingly gone along with those ideas thought about them and realised how shit they are.

8 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Desperately disingenuous.

For one thing, "Yes, he said he's not a member of the Labour Party, but he meant something else" is not the kind of argument you'd accept from anyone else.

Balls is clearly implying that a load of Lefty racists came into the party to support Corbyn and now that they've gone the party is squeaky clean. Evidence suggests that none of that is true.

How is it desperately disingenuous to point out you were incorrectly holding him responsible for something he didn't even say? He clearly meant part of the parliamentary Labour party, he was obviously referring to Starmer kicking him out of that for his lack of contrition and rejection of findings in the report. It's not an argument I'm making, it's a clear and obvious truth. Absolutely everything you said in your 'he was wrong about everything' response either had nothing to do with him or what he said or was just a reach. 

15 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

he has sent his condolences out to the poor trans girl who was murdered in Warrington on twitter

unsurprisingly he has received a barrage of abuse.

it does feel like we really do live in a dismal hate filled country at times. 

Just had a look at that, he can't win. If he hadn't changed his tweet people would have complained, he's changed his tweet and people are complaining.

If he hadn't tweeted, he'd be disrespectful. He's tweeted so he's a bandwagon jumper.

This country is full of snidey out for themselves right wing dicks, fucking jokers!

24 minutes ago, Arniepie said:

he has sent his condolences out to the poor trans girl who was murdered in Warrington on twitter

unsurprisingly he has received a barrage of abuse.

it does feel like we really do live in a dismal hate filled country at times. 

18 minutes ago, Creator Supreme said:

Just had a look at that, he can't win. If he hadn't changed his tweet people would have complained, he's changed his tweet and people are complaining.

If he hadn't tweeted, he'd be disrespectful. He's tweeted so he's a bandwagon jumper.

This country is full of snidey out for themselves right wing dicks, fucking jokers!

twitter is a proper cesspitt

Boris johnson..id rather see bodies piled high than have another lockdown.Country shrugs its shoulders

Jeremy corbyn..my sympathies go out to the family of a murdered trans girl. How dare you..you virtue signalling cunt. 

• Upvote 2