You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other football 2016/17.

Trumo

Do you really think that's the reason I think the Brazilian Ronaldo was a better footballer?

I think it comes into most peoples decisions on here more than they'd like to admit. That and him (Cristiano) being a preened twat.

CR is absolutely awesome by almost any metric. Speed, acceleration, ball control, tricks, power, finishing, heading, endurance. The most impressive for me is how he (and Messi) have stayed at these heights for a decade. It's absolutely incredible. The original Ronaldo might be better in one or two areas, but I feel people would cherry pick those to come to the conclusion that he's a better 'footballer'. Having said that maybe it's what we are looking at to make the better 'footballer' that is the issue.

From what I can remember he was an out and out goalscorer, a fantastic one who for not one single seasin didn't reach the heights that Messi and Ronaldo have sustained for a decade.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

11-jaw-dropping-quotes-from-people-who-w

Cristiano Ronaldo was and is an absolutely amazing player, certainly in the top 20 all-time and his exploits should not be minimised just because he played for the Mancs or is one of the most unlikeable superstars ever.

However, the original Ronaldo was a force of nature at his peak.  Sure, his peak was brief, but when his body didn't betray him he was the closest I've ever seen to the cliche "he scores when he wants."  Just because the goal numbers are lower doesn't mean he wasn't as good; you have to put it in context of the era.

I'm willing to accept that some people would put peak Messi above peak Ronaldo, and that's a reasonable argument (though I would disagree).  However, I don't think it's even up for discussion who was the most exciting to watch, Ronaldo was destroying some of the best defenders in history on a regular basis and for pure excitement the kind of dribbling and power and pace he showed hasn't been equaled.  

Seriously, find a good youtube compilation of the original Ronaldo and just remind yourself of the kind of player he was.  If you think all he was was an "out-and-out goalscorer" you owe it to yourself to have an entertaining jog down memory lane.

• Upvote 3

I think it comes into most peoples decisions on here more than they'd like to admit. That and him (Cristiano) being a preened twat.

CR is absolutely awesome by almost any metric. Speed, acceleration, ball control, tricks, power, finishing, heading, endurance. The most impressive for me is how he (and Messi) have stayed at these heights for a decade. It's absolutely incredible. The original Ronaldo might be better in one or two areas, but I feel people would cherry pick those to come to the conclusion that he's a better 'footballer'. Having said that maybe it's what we are looking at to make the better 'footballer' that is the issue.

That is one area where he's definitely become worse. His dribbling is actually pretty shit but all the athleticism aspects of his game when combined are the reason he is at such a heightened level.

Real Madrid have made a big song and dance about him hitting the 400-goal mark when he actually stands one shy according to the official records. He's bound to score it at the weekend anyway, but it's part of the dick-waving contest between Real Madrid and Barcelona that see's them count goals and trophies in friendlies as well as rewriting history in a bid for one-upmanship.

If Ronaldo MK1 hadn't suffered those appalling injuries I think he'd have become hands down the greatest ever player, even ahead of my own choice Maradona.  Just a fantastic player at his peak.  I'd still have him in my top 10 as he had a fine career as it was

CR is a fantastic player though and should be in any top ten list, the humongous prick.

• Upvote 1

Brazilian Ronaldo is part of the reason I love football, he was head and shoulders above Cristiano Ronaldo in terms of natural ability, he would decide he wanted to score so he'd just run past everyone on the pitch and score. Cristiano Ronaldo has worked harder than any footballer in history to be the best he could be and should be commended for it but in terms of actual pure footballers who you love watching time and time again Messi, Ronaldo and Zidane piss all over him, football seemed like art whenever them three were on the ball not some dick who throws his arms in the air having a tantrum if the ball is within 1mm of where he wants it. Even Rio who basically wanks himself silly whenever he talks about him said it used to annoy him when he did it.

I can't stand the prick not just because of his history more so because he's a selfish egotistical whinging wanker but his goals and goal record deserve everyone's respect, this sounds ridiculous because of his goals to game record and I'm probably wording it completely wrong but he's not even great at finishing, he's great at hitting the ball really hard on target and the power using takes it in, he rarely places the ball in the corner he just tries taking the leather off the ball everytime he strikes it, take Messis winner in the Classico for example he calmly approached the ball and passed it into the net, Ronaldo would have tried whacking it in but with so many bodies in and around the ball it would have took some strike to go in but there's no chance he does what Messi does in that situation.

• Upvote 3

I don't think fake Ronaldo is a great player. A freak of a goalscorer, yeah. Great player? Nah.

Brazilian Ronaldo on the other hand, a complete freak of a player. It's a pity he's not around in today with proper training methods and stuff. Or even 40 camera angles for that matter!

there's no way in hell fake Ronaldo would've scored this goal. The first bit of contact, he'd have been rolling on the ground like a fanny. Real Ronaldo just beasts it.

• Upvote 3

If he looked like Luke Chadwick he'd be playing in the Portuguese 8th division now. 

Real Madrid, the biggest football club on the planet, have tickled his balls for the best part of a decade because he's probably made them about a billion quid in merchandise sales.

A great player, but surely his numbers have to be looked at in context. In isolation, like most other numbers in football, they're pretty meaningless.

Brazilian Ronaldo scored when he wanted too but apparently didnt want too anywhere near as much as Messi and C Ronaldo. Yea im not buying it.

I dare say if his career path was Sporting, Liverpool, Real Madrid. There would be a different opinion on him as a player too.

Sent from my LG-H340n using Tapatalk

Ronaldo vs. C. Ronaldo really just boils down to whether you appreciate a stratospheric but short prime, or a long brilliant career.

Think Ronaldo was the more talented footballer but to pooh-pooh C.Ronaldo in comparison is just stupid. The latter has clearly had a far superior career and that counts for something, no matter what hypothetical's people want to make about Ronaldo.

Francesco Totti is retiring at the end of this season. He's over 40 now and hasn't played that much in the last couple of years, but he has been a loyal servant and genuine club legend for Roma for well over 20 years now. Apparently, nearly a third of current Serie A players weren't even born when he made his debut for Roma! They'll probably retire his No10 shirt too.