You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Dentist

Bjornebye

3 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Got friends who have just had teeth done in Dalyan, not sure what procedure is called but existing teeth get ground down and new ones glued on, cost a grand for 6 new top front teeth. Implants are about £400 a tooth. Problem is if you try and do on a 2 week holiday, my friends had their new ones sent back 3 times as the dentist wasn't happy with them. All done now and they look great.

Curiously, they’re called ‘Turkish teeth’ here.

I know a number of NHS workers who will all tell you about the numbers of people who go abroad for treatments and then return with problems leaving the NHS to foot the repair bill

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Champ said:

I know a number of NHS workers who will all tell you about the numbers of people who go abroad for treatments and then return with problems leaving the NHS to foot the repair bill

Read about some absolute horror stories of people who have gone abroad for dentistry and come back with a whole heap of pain.

Ive no doubt there are good dentists abroad but it's not something Id gamble on.

1 hour ago, Champ said:

Surprisingly, there called Turkish teeth here too!

Didn't think NHS would touch work done abroad. Whenever we've travelled via Istanbul you see loads of lads who've just had the hair transplant head like a baboons red arse, looks so sore.

Whenever you get a job done of any description here it's, 'ok' they always seemed obsessed with moving onto the next job without checking the one they've just finished.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Read about some absolute horror stories of people who have gone abroad for dentistry and come back with a whole heap of pain.

Ive no doubt there are good dentists abroad but it's not something Id gamble on.

Health service here is very good. Problem is the cosmetic game, not sure if it's regulated. We've had general dentistry done with no problems and so much cheaper than UK but that just reflects the salaries of the two countries.

They are all cunts.

I missed an appointment last January due to my ex being rushed to hospital to have an emergency c-section for my first child and obviously it slipped my mind.

I called them a few days later to explain and was sent a bill for the missed appointment but there were no appointments for ages due to Covid so I paid and never made another appointment.

I started getting toothache a few days ago and called them only to be told that they had taken me off the books due to missing the appointment and now I can’t get my tooth sorted. I’m fucking fuming and they are absolute bandit twats.

Tried a few other places but nobody is accepting new patients.

My first trip to Vietnam was to visit a dentist. I needed some root canal work done costing about $2500 Aus. I heard lots of people were going overseas due to the cheaper price. So I spent some time on the internet checking placees like Turkey, Mexico, India, Thailand, Vietnam and others. I decided on Vietnam, it was one of the cheapest to get to, cheap prices and impressive  looking places on their web sites and Vietnam was on the bucket list. I got in touch with one and was told it would take about 6 weeks and 3 visits. I got there and was really impressed. None of this hanging around for hours because the dentist was running late. The rooms were state of the art, made the Australian dentist look like something out Dickens. I had my entire mouth fixed for peanuts and did a fair bit of travelling. Fell in love with the place and kept coming back until I was trapped by Covid.

I can recommend a trip to Vietnam to have a stunning holiday. Visas are a hassle, if you need  more than 30 days, you have to leave and return but gives you the chance to visit Thailand, Laos or Singapore for a few days or visit Danang and do a 1 day border run to Cambodia and back while you're there - and from there even visit Hoi An and I'll shout you a beer and introduce you to duck noodle soup.

This is the place I went to. They list their prices on the site.

http://australiandentalclinic.vn/

• Upvote 1

• 8 months later...

I’m out in Budapest now and had the first set of implants done yesterday. Got to admit I was seriously considering backing out after the lad I shared the pick up with was telling me he was in absolute agony for 2 weeks after he got his done.

Being the coward that I am, I accepted everything they told me and got the procedure done and happy to report the only pain I’ve felt is from where the anaesthetic injections went in to my gums. I did ask for an extra load as me and pain aren’t good friends.

Surgeon and surgery was brilliant and you get ran around everywhere. First flights are paid for but gonna be a ballache in December as I have to fly back for an hour so they can open them up and put the healing abutments in them, then come back 2 weeks later for another week to get the teeth fitted. 

Hopefully it finally solves a long problem.

oh and the Romans and the sevillains are all here for the final too. Pain in the arse not being able to have a pint / solid food as I’d lived to have watched this out 

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I’m out in Budapest now and had the first set of implants done yesterday. Got to admit I was seriously considering backing out after the lad I shared the pick up with was telling me he was in absolute agony for 2 weeks after he got his done.

Being the coward that I am, I accepted everything they told me and got the procedure done and happy to report the only pain I’ve felt is from where the anaesthetic injections went in to my gums. I did ask for an extra load as me and pain aren’t good friends.

Surgeon and surgery was brilliant and you get ran around everywhere. First flights are paid for but gonna be a ballache in December as I have to fly back for an hour so they can open them up and put the healing abutments in them, then come back 2 weeks later for another week to get the teeth fitted. 

Hopefully it finally solves a long problem.

oh and the Romans and the sevillains are all here for the final too. Pain in the arse not being able to have a pint / solid food as I’d lived to have watched this out 

Did you go for the Klopp or the Bobby Deluxe?

• 3 months later...

An old troublesome much filled tooth finally threw in the towel late last night and shattered into lots of little pieces of filling and enamel mixed with blood as I ate my dinner. Emergency dentist Sunday morning, £315 (!) for an x ray then an extraction of what little was left. Extractions are fucking medieval, they basically pull it out. I’m buzzing on red wine and strong prescription pain killers now. 

10 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

An old troublesome much filled tooth finally threw in the towel late last night and shattered into lots of little pieces of filling and enamel mixed with blood as I ate my dinner. Emergency dentist Sunday morning, £315 (!) for an x ray then an extraction of what little was left. Extractions are fucking medieval, they basically pull it out. I’m buzzing on red wine and strong prescription pain killers now. 

Is that private?

A tooth extraction is band 2, about £70 on the NHS.

In fairness, hate the Tories as I do, I think the roots (arf!) of this started with Labour and some kind of dentist contract fuckup.

What the dental industry has done is basically privatise itself because it wants more money and there's nowt to stop it.

90% are money-grubbing cunts and that's always been the case, I've experienced dentists before giving me work I didn't need doing just to make a buck. They're also not remotely empathetic in my experience.

The government should impose a regulation where if you want to be licensed you have to take on some NHS patients, it should be non negotiable and if they don't like it they can go and practice in France.

10 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Yes. Sunday morning emergency. It takes about 3 weeks to get an appointment with my NHS dentist and I wasn’t going to live with a shattered tooth and exposed nerve for that long. 

I've been pretty lucky with my Dentist thankfully.

I've been able to get an appointment pretty quickly in an emergency. So far.

Dental pain is horrific. 

1 hour ago, Harry's Lad said:

I've been pretty lucky with my Dentist thankfully.

I've been able to get an appointment pretty quickly in an emergency. So far.

Dental pain is horrific. 

The pain is what these private emergency dentists thrive on. I rang one Sunday morning and they wanted £500 just for an appointment ! 

A month ago I lost a bridge for a tooth I knocked out when I was 17. The new (third in two years) young dentist at the practice I’ve been at since I was a kid which was sold to a big group a couple of years ago when the dentist retired, managed to get it back in again, but said she didn’t hold out much hope.

It came out again about a week ago and I phoned on Monday morning last week for an appointment. The earliest they could see me was the Wednesday afternoon and she told me at that stage there was no way to get it back in.

My options were root canal, implants (only available, privately), or a denture. Clearly I don’t want to turn into my Nan, so the denture was out and I’ve opted for root canal.

However, she tells me she’s not convinced it will work well and I may have to think about going private for the implants for four fucking grand. Long story short, the earliest I could get an appointment for the first part of the root canal treatment is the middle of November! What a fucking joke. So I’m currently walking round looking like Shane fucking McGowan out of The Pogues with a big double gap on my upper front teeth.

Fuck these fucking Tories, who have fucked absolutely everything in this country. 

• Upvote 3

The same, I can only get private and am looking to change because everytime I go to my current it costs me hundreds of pounds. 

Last November when I went for a regullar check up/clean, no pain and no issues whatsoever, he finds three minor cavities, which will be £580, cheaper if I get two done there and then, as saves on injection and dentist time etc. I just went numb and agreed, so two done then and appointment made for next. 

It is justified theft, you have no pain now but will in the future and then it will cost more to fix, so do it now. Just like a double glazing saesperson of old. 10% off but only if you agree today. I am annoyed with myself for just agreeing, I believe it was in shock, but I am blaming the dentist more for the pitch. 

Currently looking for a better private dentist as I have no chance of NHS.

52 minutes ago, Paul said:

Fuck these fucking Tories, who have fucked absolutely everything in this country. 

My eldest is having some mental health issues and we were told that an appointment we wanted at Alder Hey would be in 80 months time.

EIGHTY MONTHS. 

Or go private and get seen this week. Just short of a grand. 

3 hours ago, Section_31 said:

In fairness, hate the Tories as I do, I think the roots (arf!) of this started with Labour and some kind of dentist contract fuckup.

What the dental industry has done is basically privatise itself because it wants more money and there's nowt to stop it.

90% are money-grubbing cunts and that's always been the case, I've experienced dentists before giving me work I didn't need doing just to make a buck. They're also not remotely empathetic in my experience.

The government should impose a regulation where if you want to be licensed you have to take on some NHS patients, it should be non negotiable and if they don't like it they can go and practice in France.

I remember when I was younger, I went in because I had tooth pain, and the dentist filled the tooth next to the one that had pain. Top banter. The original tooth eventually had to be removed.

My missus has braces behind her teeth that she had put on as a teenager which were supposed to come off after six months. They're still there and no dentist will touch them with a barge pole now.

The dentist I have now is pretty decent though, when I eventually move back to the correct side of the Mersey one of the few downsides will be losing his services.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I remember when I was younger, I went in because I had tooth pain, and the dentist filled the tooth next to the one that had pain. Top banter. The original tooth eventually had to be removed.

My missus has braces behind her teeth that she had put on as a teenager which were supposed to come off after six months. They're still there and no dentist will touch them with a barge pole now.

The dentist I have now is pretty decent though, when I eventually move back to the correct side of the Mersey one of the few downsides will be losing his services.

Jesus, I’m now haunted by the thought of those braces. She’s got to get that sorted just to give me piece of mind.