You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Brendan Rodgers and the transfer market

Bill Shankly

2 decent games? Give over.

I was responding to the justification given above.

But the fact of the matter is he hasn't cemented a place in a midfield that is by no means top class. So, we went out this summer and signed someone with genuine potential who cost significantly less (even in an inflated market). And we'll continue to reinforce our midfield, if we hope to improve.

Gerrard is on the way out and playing out of position anyway. Lucas is pretty much shot. Henderson is regressing, but replaceable at his best. And Allen is very mediocre: not bad, but not imposing or talented enough to compete at top four/Champions League level, in my view...

• Upvote 1

I was talking about the foreign media, versus British media. Wenger is still massively (and rightfully) respected abroad. 

Fair enough. I think wenger has done an excellent job keeping them in the CL for as long as he has.

He's got lost in his dont buy big named players and concentrated on polishing the rough diamond.

It cannot be denied that a lot of arse fans have been on his case for more than a few years at the lack of progress at the club.

Well we may as well stop pissing about and sack the manager for some other 'name' if that's what it comes down to, eh?

How the fuck did you interpret that from my post? Only a complete dribbling moron couldn't see that as far as drawing power goes, Wenger trumps Rodgers by a country mile. None of the players we're after grew up with Liverpool winning trophies so they rightfully see Arsenal as a bigger draw as they've been on telly in the worlds biggest club completion thier entire football watching life.

How the fuck did you interpret that from my post? Only a complete dribbling moron couldn't see that as far as drawing power goes, Wenger trumps Rodgers by a country mile. None of the players we're after grew up with Liverpool winning trophies so they rightfully see Arsenal as a bigger draw as they've been on telly in the worlds biggest club completion thier entire football watching life.

You say wenger trumps rodgers by a country mile, yes? So our manager is a problem when wanting to sign these big named players who see arse and hence their manager as a better bet, yes?

Try not shooting yourself in the foot or rather head.

Fair enough. I think wenger has done an excellent job keeping them in the CL for as long as he has.

He's got lost in his dont buy big named players and concentrated on polishing the rough diamond.

It cannot be denied that a lot of arse fans have been on his case for more than a few years at the lack of progress at the club.

Not denying it. I'm just glad the internet wasn't around when Shankly was having a drought.

We'd have never become the club we are today, if he'd have been working in the era of internet.

Wenger was in Brazil pressing the flesh and kissing babies. Rodgers was on holiday strolling hand-in-hand with his paramour, with 'Why Do Birds Suddenly Appear, Every Time You're Near' playing in his head.

Exactly.  Wenger sorted the Sanchez deal a month or more before Rodgers and Co pulled their fingers out of each other arses.  For a player of Sanchez's quality you go the extra mile we hardly made it past the start line

• Upvote 1

Not denying it. I'm just glad the internet wasn't around when Shankly was having a drought.

We'd have never become the club we are today, if he'd have been working in the era of internet.

Wouldnt disagree with that. Shankly and Paisley would have come in for criticism by some for their team selections and results.

None of the players we're after grew up with Liverpool winning trophies

An important point, especially for foreign players, most of whom were kids when Chelsea first got fat off Abramovich's money. A typical 20 year old doesn't know shit about Liverpool's trophy cabinet and cares even less. The images that success forms in young minds goes a long way in deciding where they'll play.

I've lived in Brazil on and off for 20 years. It was only relatively recently, about 2003 I think, that they started to show Pl games here, gradually increasing the number of games as the years passed. If a club is in the CL, their games get shown. This year all of our games have been shown, but in previous years not so many. The mancs, Chelsea, Arsenal have all been constants - the common denominator is international and/or European participation.

Barcelona’s midfielder Xavi was interviewed by BBC: “Do you see yourself as future Barcelona coach? I don’t know, maybe. I would love to work for Barcelona because I am a Barcelona fan. This sport is my passion and this would be the maximum for me. Let’s see what the future holds but, for now, I really enjoy my football. Many ex-players have told me to keep on playing for as long as possible.” Playing in England? “The Premier League is a very attractive. Liverpool, for example, is a team that has something special – the stadium, the fans, everything. But I always prioritise Barcelona – it’s my life, it’s my world. I am lucky and wouldn’t change it for anything.”

• Upvote 1

You say wenger trumps rodgers by a country mile, yes? So our manager is a problem when wanting to sign these big named players who see arse and hence their manager as a better bet, yes?

Try not shooting yourself in the foot or rather head.

And yet you still can't explain where I implied that we should sack the manager because of this.

The manager is a factor but there's many other motivators a person may prioritise when choosing where to work. It's up to the club to sort that out. Can we sell our inexperienced manager to a player? Are we doing all we can to put players in a room with Rodgers? He certainly comes across as a charismatic speaker. Its the club's responsibility to show potential players why we're worth a shit. They chose a virtual nobody in the footballing world to lead us so it's upto them to give him the support to sign the players we need to move us on a level.

Sanchez may have chose location as a major motivator but had we gotten in thier before anyone else, sold him the club, sold him the young ambitious manager and showcased the city then we'd have had a chance. As it is someone else had already done that with a better manager and a more desirable location.

• Upvote 1

And yet you still can't explain where I implied that we should sack the manager because of this.

The manager is a factor but there's many other motivators a person may prioritise when choosing where to work. It's up to the club to sort that out. Can we sell our inexperienced manager to a player? Are we doing all we can to put players in a room with Rodgers? He certainly comes across as a charismatic speaker. Its the club's responsibility to show potential players why we're worth a shit. They chose a virtual nobody in the footballing world to lead us so it's upto them to give him the support to sign the players we need to move us on a level.

Sanchez may have chose location as a major motivator but had we gotten in thier before anyone else, sold him the club, sold him the young ambitious manager and showcased the city then we'd have had a chance. As it is someone else had already done that with a better manager and a more desirable location.

Cut the crap and the evasion. You use words like 'inexperienced manager,' hardly the words of someone who has faith in the manager to deliver top players with or without the club's help.

Your posts follow a vein of a number of others, in plain words, you dont say sack the manager but you use the language of hints, ambiguity and the 'Im not there, yet' suggestion.

If people want the manager out, they should have the balls to say so. Not hide behind the 'where have I said that' shit.

On the flip side, without the pressure that comes with modern football we might have been stuck with the Owl for even longer.

I like Rodgers and think he'll come good but instant pressure is the parameters he's working in. If he can't cope with it he's not right for this football club because it will always be there, rightly or wrongly.

There's no exact template for success. United have shown that with stability and money you can compete. Chelsea, City, Madrid have shown that with ruthless ambition and money you can compete.

And your considered solution to that conundrum is?

The manager could win some shiny stuff and not get schooled in Europe that would be a good start like. Oh and don't throw games as well. Unfortunately it is a downside of having a manager who has only won a play-off final as his only form of success. He was not even a top player so he does not have the kudos of that either. I am not saying that it is right or wrong for players to think like that. But I certainly reckon it comes into their thought process.

On the flip-side some young British players would have heard Rodgers on Talk-Sport and seen how Sterling has grown and think Liverpool is a good option maybe. So he has that advantage.

The manager could win some shiny stuff and not get schooled in Europe that would be a good start like. Oh and don't throw games as well. Unfortunately it is a downside of having a manager who has only won a play-off final as his only form of success. He was not even a top player so he does not have the kudos either.

Win what shiny stuff over what period? I mean, I take it you'd be more than happy with say a league cup win in his first 5 years would satisfy your requirements?

Would you be ok with him 'throwing games' on the eve of say, a league cup final to win some shiny stuff that you say he needs to win?

Cut the crap and the evasion. You use words like 'inexperienced manager,' hardly the words of someone who has faith in the manager to deliver top players with or without the club's help.

Your posts follow a vein of a number of others, in plain words, you dont say sack the manager but you use the language of hints, ambiguity and the 'Im not there, yet' suggestion.

If people want the manager out, they should have the balls to say so. Not hide behind the 'where have I said that' shit.

Haha, are you a proper mental? Why would I hide behind a veil so I didn't have to disclose my real opinion? It's an Internet forum about a football team not fucking Newsnight. I've stated some opinions and some facts like Wenger is a bigger pull than Rodgers based on a number of things and Rodgers is an inexperienced manager, based on you know, his inexperience . If my opinion changes you'll be the first to know sweetheart.

• Upvote 1

Haha, are you a proper mental? Why would I hide behind a veil so I didn't have to disclose my real opinion? It's an Internet forum about a football team not fucking Newsnight. I've stated some opinions and some facts like Wenger is a bigger pull than Rodgers based on a number of things and Rodgers is an inexperienced manager, based on you know, his inexperience . If my opinion changes you'll be the first to know sweetheart.

Yeah, I'll wait for your coming out party.

You use words like 'inexperienced manager,' hardly the words of someone who has faith in the manager to deliver top players with or without the club's help....

A confused post in full.

I accept that the club wanted to give a promising, young, inexperienced British manager a chance, and have backed him. Any appointment has advantages and disadvantages. To date, the appointment has been a success.

It is also a fact that such a manager will not have the personal pulling power of the Big Beasts.

I don't think that FSG appointed Brendan to pull top players, but up and coming ones.

There is nothing inconsistent about backing the manager, acknowledging his success to date, but pointing out that Brendan has an entirely new challenge now which he has no previous experience of. That wasn't a problem before, it may not be now. But it would be foolish not to acknowledge the dangers.

A confused post in full.

I accept that the club wanted to give a promising, young, inexperienced British manager a chance, and have backed him. Any appointment has advantages and disadvantages. To date, the appointment has been a success.

It is also a fact that such a manager will not have the personal pulling power of the Big Beasts.

I don't think that FSG appointed Brendan to pull top players, but up and coming ones.

There is nothing inconsistent about backing the manager, acknowledging his success to date, but pointing out that Brendan has an entirely new challenge now which he has no previous experience of. That wasn't a problem before, it may not be now. But it would be foolish not to acknowledge the dangers.

Amazing. You never seen denny crane and xerxes in the same thread at the same time. Wonder why (rhetorical question alert especially for xerxes)?

Win what shiny stuff over what period? I mean, I take it you'd be more than happy with say a league cup win in his first 5 years would satisfy your requirements?

Would you be ok with him 'throwing games' on the eve of say, a league cup final to win some shiny stuff that you say he needs to win?

A lot of people discount the psychological impact of winning stuff, however trivial it may first seem. Simeone won the Europa and a domestic cup this paved the way for their league title, some have said. I think if we ended up in the Europa and and won that and say the league cup, this would show Rodgers ideas have much more legitimacy to many onlookers. As Xerxes would say, Rodgers Euro credentials would no longer be under scrutiny. At the moment he is trying to take us out of Europe quicker than Farage. If you can say to players we won something, it is never a negative in any way shape or form.