You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Call Of Duty - 2014 Reveal

Allan

I haven't ordered it. Going to see what the reviews are like.

Do you be on at all these days, Al?

My copy arrived quite early for an Amazon delivery, so just having a mooch around now.

I've barely been on at all during the past couple of months or so, but I'm looking to remedy that now. I'm kind of hoping that this may spark me back into gaming again, as I have so many games to start, let alone finish!

• Upvote 1

Played for about an hour now, well, less than that in actual game time, and early impressions are decent. Experienced some minor lag issues, but these are kind of the norm, and unfortunately are to be expected on launch day. Lost several gun fights where I swear I have had the jump on the oppo, only for the lag to say otherwise.

In general, it's got a Black Ops 2 feel to it. The exo movements are going to take some getting used to, especially when it comes to shooting an enemy using them. As you'd imagine, there's a lot of verticality in this, so you really need to have your bearings, so map knowledge will be as key as ever.

If you find the exo boosting too much or too silly, then you'll be happy to know that there is also a classic playlist that contains 4 of the classic game modes; TDM, Domination, Kill Confirmed and Search & Destroy. Should be sufficient to keep me appeased, for the time being at least...

One thing that I really do like the idea of, is the customisable scorestreaks. How they play out is another ball game, of course.

• Upvote 1

Just over an hour of game time done and I've not ripped the disc out and thrown it out the window. I have shouted and cursed a fair bit though...

It's pretty decent at its core. I don't think I'll ever get to grips with the extra movements that the exo suits bring, but the exo abilities are pretty damned good.

You can still use the exo abilities in the classic playlist, just not the exo boost/jump, which keeps the game a little more grounded.

Lots of customisation options, if that's your thing. If not, you can redeem items for XP. I've swapped out knee pads and an exo for 1500 XP in total. Think I got 1000XP for the bloody knee pads! I know that there are different levels of rarity with these items, so I'm guessing I had some rare(ish) knee pads. Lucky me, eh?

• Upvote 1

So in the classic game modes it doesn't have the stupid jumping about floaty bollocks?

Correct. The jumpy floaty stuff doesn't last too long in the 'normal' mode to be fair, and you can only use the boost/jump twice every minute, so there is some balancing. It's certainly not as mental as it possibly could have been. Also, every time you use the exo boost/movement, you appear on the mini map, unless you use Blast Suppressor in Perk 3.

That said, I certainly don't think I could play the normal playlist for too long, as I just don't have the reflexes or twitch coordination to compete with the kids. I'll still play it, but I suspect I'll be spending most of my time in the classic mode playlist.

• Upvote 1

Your selling yourself short mate. One of my mates on the X1 has played all day levelled to 28 and struggled initially. My last game was k:d 1 but before was struggling big time. The supply drops are food and the first 2 levels of campaign was very impressive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

I went 12-4 in my first game, so naturally thought I was some sort of God. However, I was brought down to Earth with a shuddering thump when I later went 1-9 after joining a lobby mid game. I couldn't move for dying.

I've only played TDM, both on the normal playlist and the classic playlist, and my K/D ratio is currently sitting at around 0.9, with my W/L ratio at around 0.3. I've been on some stinking teams, but I've also gone negative in more than a few games. I'm currently up to rank 14 as well.

• Upvote 1

Had another quick blast last night and kept getting screwed over in one on ones. In one particular game, I had 6 assists where I had initiated the gun fight, only to be killed in action and a teammate then pick up the easy kill.

Another lad on my team had 10 assists! Though most were as a result of him using the recon drone scorestreak to tag enemies.

I also had a brief look at the campaign, just played the first couple of missions. Looks alright so far. I did however manage to get stuck in a flower pot when trying to mantle a fence...

• Upvote 2

Quick question to those playing this, or who have played it, or watched a mate play it.

Is it just me, or does the mini map sometimes tell you that an enemy is below you, when in fact he's above you, and vice-versa?

I'm not keen on the indicator that they are using for this. The small horizontal line above or below their dot on the mini map isn't the clearest, unlike the chevron arrows that they used in Ghosts, which I did like.

I've now reach level 20, but my K/D ratio has dropped to 0.87. I'll have 1 decent/good game, 1 average game and 2 shockers. Just seems to be the way of things for me right now.

Still losing far too many gunfights for my liking, and I've noticed that I'm very nearly always the last person in the lobby to join the game. Sometimes the round has been going 2 to 3 seconds before I join, which is shite.

• Upvote 1

Played a while yesterday before the game against Madrid, and had a very quick game before heading into work this morning. Up to level 23 now and have bumped my K/D up to 0.94, with my W/L ratio squeaking up to a massive 0.38.

I've slowed down my play style, back in line with MW2 and the results have been far more positive. I do still get the odd rush of blood and go storming around maps, but I soon relent and revert back to a camp & move style once I've suffered a few silly deaths.

I'm still mainly playing on the classic playlist, but do pop into the normal playlist on rare ocassions. The jumpy boosty stuff seems to be dropping off as the novelty wears off, though there's no doubting that it will always be used, but far more tactically going forward. Until the game reaches its inevitable saturation point and people start getting bored and being funny buggers in lobbies.

Assault rifles rule the roost at the moment, and you can quite easily be in a full lobby with only 3 guns being used, the BAL27, AK12 & HBR. Both the BAL27 and AK12 are unlocked from the very start. I'll get some weapon stats posted in here at some point in the not too distant future.

• Upvote 1

Useful little guide from Reddit.

1. Play solo dolo.

Leave your friends alone as they are only going to drag you down. Activision refuses to pay for dedicated servers because the VPs all need to spend that money on a 3rd home and big ass fucking boat, so fuck your friends and the lag they bring, and play alone.

2. Ditch the kill streaks, use the points on other shit.

Fuck kill streaks. You aren't going to get them anyway. Plus they are all completely shit. Oooh I got a warbird. Oh great, EVERYONE IS FUCKING INSIDE. 2 kills? Are you fucking kidding me? Oh whats this system hack shit? It annoys the shit out of enemies for exactly 5 seconds. I just killed like 7 people in a row for this shit? Eat a dick, kill streaks.

3. Ditch the Exo Launcher bullshit

It's a bunch of bullshit grenades and shitty ass drones. The fucking drones don't even work right. This isn't like a claymore or bouncing betty where you get a kill most of the time, and grenades are shit because everyone is moving 9839043 MPH. Ditch them shits and free up more space.

4. Ditch your secondary.

The fuck do you need a 2nd gun for? It's a fucking waste. I'll explain in 5.

5. Load up on all 3 wild cards.

That's right bitches. Roll with 6 perks. Lightweight, Low Profile, Cold Blooded, Peripherals, Scavenger and Toughness.

Now you can reload like a boss without worrying about losing ammo or switching guns like a pussy. And you get a much wider map which is great since everyone is fucking everywhere. You want CB over Blind Eye because no one is getting streaks and CB doesn't let them see SHIT!

6. Use Exo Ping

That's right. Ping is the fucking shit. Everyone is fucking boosting and shooting everywhere and now you see it easily. Works best right before you go into what you know is a busy area and you are behind cover. Then pop out and fuck shit up.

7. Play like 7pm your local time.

That's when the kids are home and you can beast on them. If you play late as fuck you are going to usually run into try hard candy asses who are already 4th prestige and have youtube videos with 939430930 views while they inhale cans of Mountain Dew. Stick to playing against the 14 years who think they can quick scope. Fuck their shit up.

8. Stock and foregrip on your gun.

That's all you need. And if you HAVE to use the red dot, then use red dot and stock.

9. Don't fucking fly around.

Stick to the ground like some normal COD shit. Use your abilities when needed to get places and evade. Your mini map and ping will tell you exactly where you need to be to get to the bad guys that love feeling like they are doing some shit with all that excess movement. Fuck em.

10. High ground is your friend, but don't stay there.

In war they say high ground is always key "BUT I'VE GOT THE HIGH GROUND NYAH NYAH NYAH" which is cool it's kinda true, but with high ground means anyone can hit you from any angle at any time. You have no fucking cover. Pop up and take out those high ground bitches and then get back down in the trenches, flanking the fuck out of everyone.

Use these tips and you will get better and have more fun with the game.

Activision, give us dedicated servers already. Stop being greedy bitches. Fuck yo couch!

Had another few games this morning before leaving for work.

Classic TDM was a bust. Only able to join 1 lobby and there was obvious lag compensation issues which meant I didn't stand a chance. Not sure who was hosting and where they were located, but there were a couple of Northern lads in the lobby who were having the same problem as I was. I suspect the host was in North America somewhere.

After a couple of games in the rubbish lobby, I was unable to find another lobby in CTDM, so switched over to the standard TDM. Straight into a lobby, no problem. In game the lag compensation appeared to be balanced just about right.

I think it's going to be a case of playing CTDM in the evening here, when there's going to be more people playing in and around the UK, so more chance of a local host, and then playing STDM in the early hours when the CTDM lobbies are harder to come by.

I must say though, that I am enjoying the game at the moment, despite the always annoying lag compensation teething problems. Once things settle down more, or when the dedicated servers are introduced (as Sledgehammer have mentioned), then I'm hoping it will be even more enjoyable.

Very early days, but if push came to shove, I'd say that this is the best COD since MW2, with the potential to actually be at the same level as MW2, or perhaps even surpass it...

• Upvote 1

The woman bought me this today. She's buying me a lot of games lately, must not like my company!

Any way, I'm hoping to get on tonight about 9pm.

Either that or she don't want you leaving the house...!

I'm not long back from work, so I'll look to jump on for a wee bit. Got to eat first.

• Upvote 1

Sorry mate, I fell asleep on the chair. Long hours at work this week has me knackered. I'll definitely see you online Sunday.

Who falls asleep on their chair in the evening after saying they'll be online? I mean, come on....

No worries, mate. I was shattered myself. I just jumped on the PS4 to see what you thought of it, I very much doubt I would have actually played last night, anyway.

• Upvote 1