You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Historical pictures

Sugar Ape

This tells you everything you need to know about cats.  Even in this company, the cat looks like the evil one.

I agree, I like more useful working animals..

portf323_zps2832345b.jpg

Charlie, a shire horse used for shunting railway wagons and railway horseboxes at Newmarket station in 1966.

brief newsclip of Charlie's last day.

and Im sure he was useful later in a tube of evo stick.

Peter%20Craven%20in%20spectacular%20acti

Liverpool's own speedway ace, Peter Craven, showing why he was known as the 'wizard of balance,

I once rode a speedway bike. Everything is back to front...to slow on the tight sections, screw the throttle wide open so the back wheel loses traction and spins...to accelerate, back off on the throttle so the back wheel bites, all the while trying to keep the front wheel down. Mostly I just laid the bike down and not by intention. Anyone who can win races on one has my respect.

Colonel Theodore Roosevelt and his triumphant Rough Riders on San Juan Hill, Cuba, 1898.  This was a key victory in the Spanish-American War, which led to the USA gaining control of Cuba, Guam, Puerto Rico and the Philippines.  The war initiated the USA's role as an interventionist, imperial power.

detail_1307_his_roughriders.jpg

Jesse Langdon, the last surviving Rough Rider, in May 1975.

po0573.jpg

• Upvote 1

THE BLACK DAHLIA

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

ELIZABETH SHORT'S MURDER STILL UNSOLVED

On January 15, 1947 a woman walking on the sidewalk in the 3800 block of Norton St., in Liemert Park, Los Angeles caught a glimpse of what appeared to be a department store mannequin lying in the weeds on the side of the street; the top half separated from the lower half. As she approached the mannequin, the woman quickly realized that it was actually the nude body of a woman.

black-dahlia01.jpg 

black-dahlia-lg1.jpg