You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Boxing 2014

DanDanShaw

http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/276479.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Carl Froch has revealed he is "happy" to give George Groves a rematch, but has his eyes set on a fight with Julio Cesar Chavez Jr first.

'The Cobra' retained his WBA and IBF super-middleweight titles after Groves was controversially stopped in the ninth round of their bout on November 23. Groves had been leading on all three judges' scorecards, and floored his opponent in the first round.

While Groves says he is waiting for Froch to give him a rematch, Froch is set on fighting Chavez Jr, taking on the former WBC middleweight champion in Las Vegas.

"The fight with Chavez Jr is one of the five options that I do have and that's a fight that I can get motivated for, a fight that excites me," Froch told Sky Sports News.

"Going over to America and fighting in Las Vegas is something that all British pros with big aspirations to do big things in boxing [want to do]. To be on a pay-per-view channel in America - very, very few British fighters have done that.

"So as an option for me, that is a realistic option and one that I'm very, very seriously considering. In fact, we're closer to that happening that the George Groves fight."

Previously, Froch ruled out a rematch with Groves, but now he has opened the door to a potential fight later in the year, with Groves being one of the two fighters he could face.

"I will happily fight George Groves again, I'm happy to give him a return provided it makes sense and it's realistic. It's down to Eddie Hearn, my promoter, to make it happen and it's down to George Groves to be realistic," Froch said.

If I've got two fights this year - and I usually do fight twice a year - one of those I think should be George Groves and one should be Chavez Jr. But probably not in that order, Chavez Jr is the next fight, the big fight that we're closer to doing. I spoke to my promoter Eddie Hearn yesterday and that fight is pretty much nailed-on as being done and I'm happy with it.

Read more at http://www.espn.co.uk/boxing/sport/story/276479.html#pWTmIK3zl8B1tOWg.99

Groves isnt ranked by the WBC but money talks so he could go for Beika though the WBC is corrupt as they come and i would imagine they want Chavez as champ.Steiglitz is possible as he holds the 6 or 7 ranking with the WBO,the other titles are held by Froch or Andre Ward

Wasn't Groves over in America having meetings with golden boy and top rank last week.

I hope he fucks Eddie Hearn and Carl Froch off. He was given a raw deal from the get go with that fight. He should move on now and get himself some proper promotional representation.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Cracking statement from the IBF, totally refutes the obvious bollocks he's persistently spouted about eyes rolling to the back of Groves' head and the like.

Afterwards, Groves insisted the contest had been ended too soon. The IBF agreed, and said in a statement: "The panel determined that the referee gave appropriate warnings to both fighters but did not choose to deduct points. The panel felt that in the ninth round, Groves should have been allowed to continue as he did not appear to be seriously hurt - and was counter-punching and attempting to move the action away from the ropes at the time of the stoppage. In addition, the referee waved off the fight from behind Groves instead of in front of him and did not look into his eyes. Groves showed no signs of being hurt after the stoppage. In sum, the panel felt it was an improper stoppage."

IBF Championships chairman Lindsey E Tucker said Froch had 90 days to fight again and that if he failed to do so, he would "probably" lose his IBF title.

Cracking statement from the IBF, totally refutes the obvious bollocks he's persistently spouted about eyes rolling to the back of Groves' head and the like.

Afterwards, Groves insisted the contest had been ended too soon. The IBF agreed, and said in a statement: "The panel determined that the referee gave appropriate warnings to both fighters but did not choose to deduct points. The panel felt that in the ninth round, Groves should have been allowed to continue as he did not appear to be seriously hurt - and was counter-punching and attempting to move the action away from the ropes at the time of the stoppage. In addition, the referee waved off the fight from behind Groves instead of in front of him and did not look into his eyes. Groves showed no signs of being hurt after the stoppage. In sum, the panel felt it was an improper stoppage."

IBF Championships chairman Lindsey E Tucker said Froch had 90 days to fight again and that if he failed to do so, he would "probably" lose his IBF title.

Nice one.  Anyone with half a clue about boxing knew it was a disgraceful stoppage

Nobody else a little uncomfortable with the wording?

Seems to me that the IBF have decided that Groves should be champ. I agree that a rematch should have been enforced but it reads like the IBF are throwing their champ under the bus a bit.Froch camp is claiming that they have offered Groves around double his purse from the first fight so he would be earning £1ml for the rematch and he has refused it.

Agreed on Saturday's fight, but I think that's unfair on Pascal. The guy fights everybody and is one of the most battle-tested and hardest fighters around.

Yeah probably a bit harsh, I was a fan of him but his style just started annoying me, he just has little bursts of attack and thats it. Was delighted when he beat Dawson but Hopkins really showed him up. Its a poor division bar Kovalev and Stevenson.