You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Let's consider we sold Suarez to Arsenal for £40,000,0001. We would have still missed out on our first 2 targets and would have entered a bidding war with Spurs for Willian.

Lose the goals and assists Suarez provides and blow most of the 40m on an inferior player leaving us a bit of change to play with?

Lets consider we sell him for £55m to Real Madrid. And, before it is made public agree the ASKING price for our targets safe in the knowledge you have £55m to spend without the need to sell and shift around funds. We bought quickly then sold, and now are trying to buy again on the back of those sales, because that is what we have to do. It is up for debate whether we could have done it the other way around, and I wonder had Bayern not bought Goetze then Dortmund would not have come in for Mkhitaryan, would we have bought him then?

The evidence is right above us for the past four seasons, and a good bet for top four and a title challenge. Tottenham don't have to negotiate - they can meet whatever the asking price is.

Lets consider we sell him for £55m to Real Madrid. And, before it is made public agree the ASKING price for our targets safe in the knowledge you have £55m to spend without the need to sell and shift around funds. We bought quickly then sold, and now are trying to buy again on the back of those sales, because that is what we have to do. It is up for debate whether we could have done it the other way around, and I wonder had Bayern not bought Goetze then Dortmund would not have come in for Mkhitaryan, would we have bought him then?

The evidence is right above us for the past four seasons, and a good bet for top four and a title challenge. Tottenham don't have to negotiate - they can meet whatever the asking price is.

You can ask "What if questions..", but no one knows what would have really happened if Suarez had been sold; what if Obama was not voted as a president, or Whiskey nose not taken charge of United, or we did not have the players we had in Istanbul; would things have transpired in the same way?

What you can control though is the direct impact on the here and now. Losing Suarez, for 40 to 60 million, means that we have a world class player to replace. Even if we did buy Willian and Lamela for 60 million, quality wise the team would have suffered.

Let's face it' date=' this isn't exactly a normal window.

One of the sides we're up against in the race for fourth has found it had a failed left-back shaped lottery ticket sitting in its pocket and is now going Brewster's Millions. It's shit that it's not us, but it can't really be planned for, and overspending to beat them on any one target would see us with little room for error now or in further transfer windows.

The later it gets in the window, the more likely it is that we have to overpay to some degree, but getting into a bidding war with a side that's looking to splurge fast and quick isn't going to do us any favours.

It might feel good in the short term to throw our money down and act big time, blow them out of the water and keep matching escalated prices, but that way lies Carroll-ville. I've no doubt that the calibre of target we're talking about - Willian, Lamela et al - would prove to be better players than the ponytailed one touch maestro, but you still might have to face the prospect of selling them on for a huge discount if they fail in any way, or risk playing them just because they were expensive.

If we signed Willian for £35m i'd feel good that we'd beaten Spurs, but deep down i'd be thinking it gave us no wiggle room to correct in January or possibly even the following summer.[/quote']

Good points. It's a distorted window. It's understandable they don't want to enter an auction with a billionaire owned club who are still breaking even after spending close on to 100m in one window (even though the Spurs PR claims they don't have to sell Bale) for another overpriced mercenary in an obscenely bloated market.

Clubs are laughing in the face of FFP and it's impotence. That's the reality.

The real culprits in all this are Real Madrid, for making a ridiculous over-valuation of one player and altering the structure of English football as a result. Instead of real competition between Arsenal, Spurs and us, we get the enrichment of one club because another club, Madrid, is a fecking farce.

The sooner we get the pay-for-even-thinking-about- it Super League the sooner we can return to financially competitive football.

If we had the pulling power and 85 million spare I would be desperate to sign him. Might be ridiculous money but how else do you get a player like him. You're buying an extremely scarce commodity and outside Messi or Ronaldo he is probably the best player in world right now. Lucky old Spuds for winning the lottery.

Ok, but I'm talking how destabilizing Real's offer was to English football. It may seem far fetched but think of how one club could help another by making similar over the top bids. We could, for example, offer 30 million to some league 2 side for a player and completely destabilize the league.

People are always asking where all this money driven madness will lead, or end. I think this Bale business is the nail in the coffin. The only logical progression is a Super League with the petro-clubs and the super rich from each league.

Take the Bale money out, they've still spent £40m plus, so Im sorry, thats not a valid excuse for our minus £5m outlay. Factor in Spurs dont even have CL football and we are looking rather foolish.

Our transfer penis is small boys, its a transfer clit, we could rape a virgin with it and bum her all night and slap her face silly with it she wouldnt even notice.

She would wake up refreshed from the best night ever and we would wonder if the story of the princess and the pea was in fact, a lie.

Its a micro transfer penis.

In fact we are in minus spend, which makes us smooooooth undaneaf, like an action man.

Truth be told a uterus, is an inverted penis, Ive tried it, if you push it back up in yourself and push your balls up into yourself you've got yourself a uterus there, ready to go.

So we have an inverted penis transfer uterus.

No wonder none of our transfer eggs weren't fertilising, its a passable act to push your bits into yourself but you cant get pregnant, the design is all there like a jacket that you can turn inside out if it rains but the egg laying capabilities arent there. Nature intervened on gods design and decided it was a bit resource consuming to let men be able to lay eggs. Though in the back of our minds the thought is always there, thats why we watch the footy and some men take the match ball home, theres some unresolved issues with egg shaped thangs that we feel deprived without it.

In summary we should unfold our bits before Arsenal enter us in an aggressive manner and proceed to fuck our poorly tucked bits out of our transfer uterus.

Edited by dennis tooth

Take the Bale money out, they've still spent £40m plus, so Im sorry, thats not a valid excuse for our minus £5m outlay. Factor in Spurs dont even have CL football and we are looking rather foolish.

Our transfer penis is small boys, its a transfer clit, we could rape a virgin with it and bum her all night and slap her face silly with it she wouldnt even notice.

She would wake up refreshed from the best night ever and we would wonder if the story of the princess and the pea was in fact, a lie.

Its a micro transfer penis.

In fact we are in minus spend, which makes us smooooooth undaneaf, like an action man.

Truth be told a uterus, is an inverted penis, Ive tried it, if you push it back up in yourself and push your balls up into yourself you've got yourself a uterus there, ready to go.

So we have an inverted penis transfer uterus.

No wonder none of our transfer eggs weren't fertilising, its a passable act to push your bits into yourself but you cant get pregnant, the design is all there like a jacket that you can turn inside out if it rains but the egg laying capabilities arent there. Nature intervened on gods design and decided it was a bit resource consuming to let men be able to lay eggs. Though in the back of our minds the thought is always there, thats why we watch the footy and some men take the match ball home, theres some unresolved issues with egg shaped thangs that we feel deprived without it.

In summary we should unfold our bits before Arsenal enter us in an aggressive manner and proceed to fuck our poorly tucked bits out of our transfer uterus.

Positively Joycean, this.

If we had the pulling power and 85 million spare I would be desperate to sign him. Might be ridiculous money but how else do you get a player like him. You're buying an extremely scarce commodity and outside Messi or Ronaldo he is probably the best player in world right now. Lucky old Spuds for winning the lottery.

See I don't get this. He's had one good season. Yes he's good but he's only got one decent foot and pace. Loose pace due to an injury and you're left with a decent foot. Good if you're Stoke and want a Simian version of Charlie Adam.

Suarez is 5 times the player Monkey boy is because he can score with left,right and head. Plus he has a better all round game and can kick people in the stomach.

There was only one bid for Suarez and it was for 40m from one of nearest rivals. 40m would not rebuild the 1st team as Spurs have been fortunate enough to do.

If Real offer 55m in Jan or next summer then I'm sure he'll be gone and I agree

on past record our ability to negotiate would have to suddenly improve in order to use that money effectively.

I agree about Mkhitaryan too. Goetze was Dortmund's Bale and had we not faced their competition we would have landed him. Having said that if he and his agent had really wanted it he'd probably be at Anfield now. Same with Willian.

See I don't get this. He's had one good season. Yes he's good but he's only got one decent foot and pace. Loose pace due to an injury and you're left with a decent foot. Good if you're Stoke and want a Simian version of Charlie Adam.

Suarez is 5 times the player Monkey boy is because he can score with left,right and head. Plus he has a better all round game and can kick people in the stomach.

Madrid obviously don't agree and its their money making the market.

We can argue about who is the better player but its all subjective.

Personally I would rather pay money to watch Suarez over Bale but which is the bigger asset to their clubs given their relative ages, discplinary records and abilities favours Bale imo .

You can ask "What if questions..", but no one knows what would have really happened if Suarez had been sold; what if Obama was not voted as a president, or Whiskey nose not taken charge of United, or we did not have the players we had in Istanbul; would things have transpired in the same way?

What you can control though is the direct impact on the here and now. Losing Suarez, for 40 to 60 million, means that we have a world class player to replace. Even if we did buy Willian and Lamela for 60 million, quality wise the team would have suffered.

I was responding to a 'what if' so forgive if I reply in kind! Most of the fucking whinging is based on 'what if', just as most of the support. Most of our arguments are based on what if at the moment.

There was only one bid for Suarez and it was for 40m from one of nearest rivals. 40m would not rebuild the 1st team as Spurs have been fortunate enough to do.

If Real offer 55m in Jan or next summer then I'm sure he'll be gone and I agree

on past record our ability to negotiate would have to suddenly improve in order to use that money effectively.

I agree about Mkhitaryan too. Goetze was Dortmund's Bale and had we not faced their competition we would have landed him. Having said that if he and his agent had really wanted it he'd probably be at Anfield now. Same with Willian.

I never stated, or even suggested we sell him to Suarez you infered that on your own and based your reply on that. I'd sell the prick if it was up to me, but thankfully it is up to people who are fell less stupid. Arsenal can fuck off with £40m. My point is that the argument 'you don't sell your best players' is based on nothing. It has never been about who you sell - it is always about who you buy. Rush bought Barnes, Aldridge (not a patch on Rush) and Beardsley - we may miss Luis' goals but we would probably add more goals by replacing Downing and, maybe, provide better service to Sturridge - I don't know, but I do know that clubs have progressed from selling players.

Suarez is going - he will have a club lined up by March 2014, if rumours are true and Falcao does indeed go to Madrid then I can't see them being in for him, but I think he will have a club lined up abroad. What we need to do is meet Udinese asking price in January.

It still doesn't add up to anywhere near your £40m figure.

Sorry, yeah its £40m net spend as it stands, if they spend £60m on those two and sell Bale for about £90m, that will be about £15m-£20m net spend.

Happy now?

Given they already are miles ahead of us based on the last two seasons, lets say its £15m net spend whereas we have a -£5m net spend I'd say we have some work to do.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Football isn't played on a spreadsheet. We just need good players, if we can get them for -£100m, and it fucks the net spend naysayers, then great. If it costs us £100m, we should do that too.

Sorry, yeah its £40m net spend as it stands, if they spend £60m on those two and sell Bale for about £90m, that will be about £15m-£20m net spend.

Happy now?

Given they already are miles ahead of us based on the last two seasons, lets say its £15m net spend whereas we have a -£5m net spend I'd say we have some work to do.

That's alright, i'm certainly not happy with the situation, but after Bale's gone, and assuming they get Willian and Lamela for £30m each, we'll both be about breaking even.

We may be a few million in the black, but they'll only be showing a net spend of a couple of million.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Yeah, but they'll have got a fuck load of good players. Which renders this net spend comparison a bit useless. It's all about getting the right players in, and they certainly seem to be doing that.

Well duh!!

Point is we need to see intent, the owners should be looking at what Spurs are doing and saying 'Im not having that', instead Rodgers is having to sell to buy, as I said yonks ago.

If we can sell the whole squad and win the league with Fred the weather man as a false number nine and Pauline Quirk on wing then we should do that. Maybe thats the plan, and of course by your logic Numero we cant complain if we do that since we have to wait until the transfer window is over, then you can say Pauline needs time to settle in, then we can wait til the end of the season, then it will be first season syndrome so we will have to allow 2 years for Pauline to bed in and if she doesnt wait until the end of the next transfer window where we will have to wait for Des Barnes to overcome his hamstring injury and who is to say our policy wont come good? No one cos theres never a chance, its all hands to the pump at the bullshit factory eh Numero??

Yeah, but they'll have got a fuck load of good players. Which renders this net spend comparison a bit useless. It's all about getting the right players in, and they certainly seem to be doing that.

I'm not debating that, i'm just pointing out that the assumption that we're spendthrift shithouses whilst Spurs have oodles of non-Bale cash is seemingly a misconception.

They're spending what they (we assume) are regathering through sales, as well run clubs do. All the pissing and moaning in the world won't change that fact.

Virtually every non financial doping club's business this year, when held against the Spurs yardstick, has been a bit lacklustre.