You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Well I agree that we need to compete' date=' but again, there is going to be a limit where the answer becomes no. I will ask again, where do you draw the line? If Spurs want to pay 35MM pounds and $150K per week, are you ok with matching or exceeding that? If they get stupid, should we?[/quote']

You're talking about a hypothetical that doesn't exist and won't exist. For instance if we were up against city, I would say no point in bidding because we can't match them (as would have been the case earlier this summer). However, spurs are famous for not breaking their structure, so why are we talking about wages that are almost double their current top salary? What if they offer 10m a week. It's not going to happen and neither is 150k.

I personally think such a tight wage structure in any business is counter productive. You need to flexible, asses what his regular value would be, what he is worth to you (depends if its a position you are weak in etc) and if you don't sign him what damage he will do to your chances of success plying his trade with a competitor. If we're happy to pay £30m, we should be happy to go beyond where spurs have almost publicly placed their salary cap previously as I do not think it is extreme for a talented individual. If he's not a top class talent, we shouldn't be bidding 30m.

That fucking article really got under my skin. Fucking shit, the cherry on the icing of the cake though was that he claims to be a Liverpool fan.

Do fuck off.

He's not a Liverpool fan, he's a Spurs fan - which makes his article all the more pathetic.

Check out his earlier articles. Tons of them are about Spurs.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Check out his earlier articles. Tons of them are about Spurs.

I was just about to say the same thing. He writes mainly about Spurs, with a few other London clubs thrown in.

He's not a Liverpool fan, he's a Spurs fan - which makes his article all the more pathetic.

Why would he say he's a Liverpool fan? No LFC fan would say that shit.

I was just about to say the same thing. He writes mainly about Spurs, with a few other London clubs thrown in.

Why would he say he's a Liverpool fan? No LFC fan would say that shit.

If he's a Liverpool fan I'd put money on him being one of the mongs off here.

Does he not just cover spurs the way maddock covers us and the shite?

Yeah, perhaps. I reckon thats probably true.

What I should have said is "he isn't a Liverpool fan - even if he attests to being one...the twat".

@MrBoywunder: Liverpool could be poised to possibly lodge a refreshed bid for Willian. (Tony Barrett)

That makes it sounds like we are nowhere near as far down the line with this deal as everyone thought. Even if he does sign for us, it wont be tommorrow by the sound of it.

Can't see this happening. Just looks like one of those well known drawn out transfer sagas of ours, that end up with us not signing the player. A bit like, Mata, Simao, Turan, Quaresma, Mkhitaryan etc...

It's not a scathing article, it's just a poor one.

The crux of his argument against us competing for fourth is that both Suarez and Sturridge

could pick up injuries, whereas we suppose Soldado and Defoe are injury-proof.

He should also view playing with Chadli and Lennon an offer he can't refuse, which is ludicrous, and while we're on the subject of injuries he forgets how many that Lennon has picked up, and his trump card with Chadli is that he has 'Champions League experience'...

Hey, it's up to Willian, but we're stronger than last year whereas with Bale gone you cannot level the same argument for Spurs.

Anyone want to validate Spurs highest earner as Friedel at 115k a week? Seems strange but reported on a couple sites. If not' date=' who is it and how much?[/quote']

Supposedly nobody is on a basic of over £87k, but a few exceptions have some add ons. I got that off somebody today who knows a director at spurs. The got BF on a free didnt they, so fair to assume they could be paying him ) £1/2m a year signing in fee.

Shitty Goal.com source, but here it is:

Liverpool confident of beating Tottenham to Willian signing - Goal.com

The Anfield club lodged a formal bid of £25.6 million with Anzhi Makhachkala for the Brazil international forward and are hopeful of completing the deal within the next 48 hours

Liverpool are confident of beating Tottenham to the signing of Brazilian winger Willian, Goal understands.

The Merseysiders hope to reach an agreement with his club Anzhi Makhachkala in the next 48 hours after lodging a formal bid of €30 million (£25.6m) for the in-demand forward.

Liverpool have indicated that they are willing to match Willian's current £85,000-a-week salary in order to convince him to move to Anfield.

LIVERPOOL LATEST

Willian is 5/4 with BetVictor to sign for Liverpool by September 1

Goal understands that the Reds have also attempted to smooth negotiations with Anzhi by offering the Russian club a sell-on clause in which they would receive 50 per cent of the profits of any future sale.

Tottenham have also held talks about buying Willian, who is a long-term target of theirs, but are not yet believed to have made an offer.

The 25-year-old is expected to make a decision about his next destination by Tuesday night, with the likelihood growing that a deal could be formalised by the middle of the week.

Liverpool are looking to take advantage of the firesale at Anzhi, who are trying to offload some of their biggest earners, who also include Samuel Eto'o, in an attempt to trim costs.

Meanwhile, Aly Cissokho is expected to undertake a medical on Monday ahead of completing a season-long loan move to Liverpool from Valencia. The Merseysiders are believed to have the option to sign the French left-back on a permanent basis for around £4m in 12 months' time.

Just do it FFS!

By James Pearce

Good Will hunting - Reds hopeful of transfer deal

20 Aug 2013 07:22

Positive talks lead club to hope they can see off Tottenham interest

Liverpool FC remain hopeful they can convince Anzhi Makhachkala winger Willian to move to Anfield.

The Reds are battling with Tottenham for the services of the £30million-rated Brazilian winger.

Both clubs have enjoyed positive talks with the Russian outfit over a fee and Willian, who has his heart set on a switch to the Premier League, is mulling over his options.

Some reports have suggested that the Londoners' ability to offer European football this season has helped give them the edge in discussions.

Spurs boss Andre Villas-Boas also knows the 25-year-old personally having come close to signing him twice before.

However, Liverpool have been encouraged by their talks with the player's representatives and manager Brendan Rodgers is hoping Willian will accept the chance to line up alongside fellow countrymen Lucas Leiva and Philippe Coutinho.

Liverpool are expected to confirm the signing of Aly Cissokho on a season-long loan from Valencia today.

The French left-back passed his medical yesterday.