You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I need to get me a career.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is money in transport if you know your way around a map......route planning in logistics pays up to 30k a year. no qualifications just need ace ya interview.

If this is true, then its one of many jobs that really grind my gears.

I work fucking hard for my money, and the hours are often scandalous. I see people like my mates bird sit in an office, doing literally fuck all all day, close to home, and getting paid as much, if not more for the honour.

If this is true, then its one of many jobs that really grind my gears.

I work fucking hard for my money, and the hours are often scandalous. I see people like my mates bird sit in an office, doing literally fuck all all day, close to home, and getting paid as much, if not more for the honour.

Fucking hell, if everyone was paid based on the amount of hours and work they do we'd be living in Karl Marx's wet dream.

With regards the question, I admire you for doing this - I think you're 100% right, you really need to get some kind of skill. No way I'd be arsed going to uni. Uni is only good in two instances now, (1) if you need a professional qualification - i,e you want to be a dentist, you need a dentistry degree, you want to be a lawyer - most times - you need a law degree or a law post grad. In those scenarios, it's unavoidable. I'd also go to do engineering or some shit, but only at a decent uni - otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

Be wary of unis and colleges, they see you as fresh meat to be consumed now and a pocket to be exploited, they will bend the rules and whisper talk of freshers' fairs and fun times in your ear, and before you know it you'll be 40 grand in debt and working in a DWP call centre, I've seen it, I've seen them do it.

If I had an 18 year old kid I'd tell him to join the RAF for two years and become an engineer. I really think you should look at something which gets you some kind of manual skill, become an electrician or some shit, then see where it takes you. Australia maybe.

I've got an appointment with the Navy careers office on Tuesday morning.

Death to all pirates. Especially those Somalian ones.

Smiler907/NavyRedMan* is in the navy, hardly does a days work unless he's at sea. Accumulate leave whilst you're at sea, then add on your annual leave, really other then those 3 months or so a year you're hardly ever in work. 5 years in and you're looking at around 30k a year.

*He thinks i'm stupid enough to have never looked this stuff up. Always in work, never a weekend off... yeah right.

There is money in transport if you know your way around a map......route planning in logistics pays up to 30k a year. no qualifications just need ace ya interview.

I'm willing to bet money that this is CT's bird

I swear I thought the same.

Hmmmmmm

Haha, it most definitely isn't. My bird is in the grammar police, she would delete people from Facebook for writing without punctuation like that. Anyway, Mrs Turdseye would be just as happy for me to be a stay at home dad, maybe I'll take her up on the offer when GTA5 gets released!

Haha, it most definitely isn't. My bird is in the grammar police, she would delete people from Facebook for writing without punctuation like that. Anyway, Mrs Turdseye would be just as happy for me to be a stay at home dad, maybe I'll take her up on the offer when GTA5 gets released!

she got a good job then?? If thats the case mate then do an open uni course that you can do at home and maybe get one of them work from home jobs????

or be an avon lady

Since I too have contributed nothing of value, here goes.

Do not even consider being self employed at anything unless you are:

A. Truly excellent at it - like better than everyone you know and better than everyone who may know. Remarkable, as that is what it will take to win any recurrent work whether it is laying bricks or designing web sites. Not just pretty good. Good enough so you would pay money for it over and over.

B. You are extraordinarily motivated and self disciplined.

A. This is only true if you plan to do something for which there is little demand, or the market is already saturated with people doing something similar.

B. This is true, although the thought that if you don't work, you don't earn is usually motivation enough once you get started.

My advice would be to look at something you could do cheaper than anyone else. The advantage of being a one-man band is you can keep your costs down and flex you business model to suit budgets. Most businesses are looking to cut costs so if you can do something cheaper than anyone else you have a sell. You need to remember that being good at something is not enough - you have to be able to market and sell it.

Have a look at the news and think if you can get in early on things that are just getting started. For example, there is lots of work going centred around the Green Deal at the moment. Google Green Deal and see for yourself. I have a new business idea that will help empty the coffers of schools that have decided through ignorance short-sightedness and greed to become academies. They get a huge lump sum wedge off the government when they turn into academies and taking money off temporarily cash-rich organisations run by unqualified volunteers who's CV to gain budgetary responsibility goes along the lines of "I've lived in this town all my life and my kids went to this school" should be a piece of of piss.

taking money off temporarily cash-rich organisations run by unqualified volunteers who's CV to gain budgetary responsibility goes along the lines of "I've lived in this town all my life and my kids went to this school" should be a piece of of piss.

I am unsure that this is a sustainable business. The lad is 25 looking for a career - he best be prepared to be very good at it for a long time if he expects to succeed.

CT - I think you'll find the fact that you have had sex with a woman will preclude you from a career with the navyboys, and unless you're bird is white trash from some council estate somewhere it will probably go against you for the army as well.

so he can still join the navy then?

Good luck CT.

How old are you mate?

This is only me' date=' but if I could go back in time with the hindsight I have now, there's simply 2 routes I would look at chasing.

1. Football Coaching. If there's one thing I'm passionate about it is football. I'd have done the courses, taught the kids, the whole shabang. I thoeretically can still do this and it's on my list when I get some more headspace.

[/quote']

The money is shite though. I have the badges, ran courses for kids and worked with LFC for 12 months running projects and coaching on their behalf on evenings and school holidays. When I was at a crossroad in my career I took a look on the FA website and they were offering Level 2 coaching jobs for £16k. I have a young family so that kind of money isn't going to cover what she spends on shite.

I keep reading the thread title as "carer", which mildly amuses me.

I typed that initially, then changed it when proof reading before I posted. I'd never have lived it down.

Hey, Zig. I've been in touch with the local volunteer service round here, they're gonna get back to me with a view to doing some work with the homeless. The thing is, I've been offered a job interview on Thursday somewhere else. The pay is better than the minimum I was on previously and there's shift allowances too. All this talk of careers and I think I'm ready to take the first job offered to me. I'm a twat. Will I be able to volunteer at weekends? It's definitely a road I want to go down, key worker, etc. I benefited a lot myself in the past from people doing that kind of thing.

I'm still going to get myself a night course doing something else too, I just can't be sitting around the house all day.